Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An Impressive Medal, but a Question of Auction Firm Ethics

Back in 1982, Bowers and Ruddy listed this medal, clearly attributing it as probably an 18th century issue of a mid-16th century masterpiece. Fast forward to 2022. The auctioneer implies this is a 1547 - 1548 medal. It does cite the Bowers and Ruddy sale, so I guess you can attempt researching it, as I did. Thereby, I suppose the auctioneer can say it did not attempt to misrepresent anything.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know who is correct in this scenario?

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, this medal is well documented. Bowers and Ruddy. The medal pictured here is lighter and smaller; only 69.5 mm, 52 grams. A pipsqueak. :)

DPOTD
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

For a 15th or 16th century medal, I would expect an auction house to give an indication of their belief of the age of a cast. (And I would also not necessarily believe what they indicate, but that is a separate matter.)

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Did you buy it? If he hyped it as 300 years older, it is or was (theoretically) going to sell for more. Definitely an ethics issue.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite the somewhat misleading description, the price was not hyped, in my opinion. Estimate was for 250 - 300 GBP.

DPOTD