Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World Medals: A World of Fun

Do you collect world medals? Let's see what you have to share.

I will start with a NEWP, a 1913 Swiss medal from the Langnau Exhibition. I couldn't resist the interesting combination of chickens, a proud peacock, and a rabbit all included on the obverse. While not an expensive piece, I had not seen one of these before and am pleased to have added it to the "flock."

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it congratulations 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @bidask !

Those are nice, @EVillageProwler .

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Stella.

BTW, @Iosephus has great medals. (Others too.)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a collector of them, but have a few lying around. Sorry, not the best picture sometimes.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Medals can take advantage of very high relief.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fascinating memento from Scottish and British history, this AR medal by Nicholas Briot was struck in 1633 to commemorate Charles I's very belated Scottish coronation that year. His coronation should have been much earlier, he ascended the throne in 1625, but he carelessly delayed said coronation until finally giving into demands that it be done in 1633. His introduction of Anglican liturgy into the coronation ceremony did little to endear him to his Scottish subjects, and things went decidedly sour thereafter. On his return trip to London his baggage including many crown jewels were lost in the Firth of Forth, just off of Burntisland. Subsequently alleged witches were brought to trial in London, on charges of causing the shipwreck. Things went down for Charles I from there on, both in Scotland and in England.

This lovely medal, with a lifelike portrait of the monarch, was commissioned to Nicholas Briot, a famous and skilled coiner. This medal was struck in a screw press, and is actually much better detailed as a result. One of these medals was struck piedfort in gold, which was presented to the King, he kept it as a pocket piece until his death in 1649. The silver examples like this one were thrown by the king to the crowds at the coronation ceremony.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few of my favorite world medals by Lucien Bazor:

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

The message on this interesting medal, as I understand it, is a satire of politicians and the corrupt practice "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours":

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    A few of my favorite world medals by Lucien Bazor:

Yeah! Your pictures are now showing without having to click on a link! Perhaps you can educate others?

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I mostly sell a variety of medals, and have a particular focus upon skulls and skeletons in medallic art. I've had a number of the Blumenbach "3 Skulls" type pass through my inventory, but after purchasing this one, I knew that I had to keep it. It's by far the most attractive and lustrous example of the type that I have ever encountered.

For the backstory on the medal, it was issued in 1825 in order to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the doctorate of a famous anthropologist, Johann Friedrich Blumenbach. Even into the early 20th century, it was popular among more well-to-do circles to commission the striking of a medal in order to commemorate a special event for another, which is why there exist medals like this commemorating seemingly random events of private individuals.

Specifically, Blumenbach studied skulls from around the world—a study that would come to be known as craniomety. According to his classification, the three skulls represented on this medal's reverse were meant to viewed as "Caucasian, Ethiopian, and Mongolian."

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!