Home Sports Talk

Greg Jennings rips into Aaron Rodgers

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Former Packers receiver Greg Jennings ripped into Aaron Rodgers pretty good, calling him selfish. Apparently, this has to do with reports of Aaron Rodgers wanting to be the highest paid quarterback in the NFL.

Former Packers Wide Receiver Greg Jennings Calls Aaron Rodgers ‘Selfish’

Former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings didn't mince words Friday when talking about current Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

With reports circulating that Rodgers is seeking a new contract that would pay him $50 million a year, Jennings called Rodgers “selfish” during an appearance on Fox Sports’ “First Things First.”

Jennings said if Rodgers targets a $50 million deal, it means he’s not serious about winning.

“I go back to personal experiences and when you have a personal experience you try to move past, move beyond, because people change, but some things never do,” Jennings said. “Aaron Rodgers has been a very selfish guy, like period. I get it, he’s at the end of his career, and so it’s like ‘okay I’m going to take whatever I can take.’ But, you can’t do that, and want to win. How are you going to try to win? I get it, guys got to look out for themselves. But in looking out for yourself you cut out the legs of others. At the quarterback position, you cut out more than just a pair of legs, you cut out a few pair of legs. To me, this is contradictory to what he’s saying he wants to do.

“This is what you do now? You’re under contract, buddy, and you have guys who are waiting in the wings and trying to get that big deal. You have money streams coming from everywhere. I am huge proponent of players getting their money, definitely get your money, but at what cost?”

Rodgers is currently deciding whether to play in Green Bay next season, ask for a trade or retire.

Rodgers, who has one year left on his contract, would count $46,664,157 against the 2022 salary cap if he doesn't receive a new deal. That’s 22.12% of the $211 million salary cap.

According to overthecap.com, Green Bay is currently $39.7 million over the cap. That means the Packers will have to restructure several deals or release players to get under the cap when the new league begins on March 16.

“I’m surprised because when I listened to Aaron Rodgers after the playoff loss to the 49ers, some of his comments were talking about the contract situations of not only himself, but some of those teammates that he would consider in his decision,” Jennings said. “They would play a role in whether or not he would decide to come back to Green Bay. And now, all of the sudden, you’re trying to take a large chunk of the pie, knowing that (wide receiver) Davante Adams is out there, a guy that you want to play with if you are to come back to Green Bay.

“You understand what this would mean and what this does to your personnel. You potentially would have to get rid of some guys. For me, this is like wait, we could have done this last year and then figured out a way to then tie up Davante this year. Now, all of the sudden, it’s about the money.”

Jennings, a two-time Pro Bowler who’s in the Packers’ Hall of Fame, remembered a time he and former Green Bat standouts Clay Matthews and B.J. Raji were all up for new contracts.

According to Jennings, Rodgers approached the standout wide receiver with the following message.

“His words to me were, ‘Don’t be that guy, don’t sign this contract and then want more money,’ ” Jennings said. “Now, all of the sudden, you forget those words that you have poured out and tried to pour and invest into others. You can’t do those types of things.”

Rodgers later reached out to former NFL punter Pat McAfee — who does a nationwide radio show — and called reports “categorically false” that he’s seeking a $50 million per year contract.

Comments