Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

SOLD Booklet FS: "The Counterfeit 1944 Jefferson Nickel" by Dwight H. Stuckey

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

SOLD

Lovingly used, hard to find booklet on the counterfeit Henning Nickels. Title page is autographed by the author.
$99.00 Post Paid. Payment accepted via Zelle, PayPal F&F, Check (must clear), Postal Money Order.
This is my final reduction. Anything less than this I'll just keep it.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be all over this if it weren't for the fact that I tracked down the author several years ago (just a few months before he passed away, it turned out :'( ) and he sold me a few copies.

This has always been a rare publication, universally mentioned as the ultimate reference on Henning nickels, but almost impossible to find.

The value of this book has been rising in recent years as the value of the Henning nickels has risen.

• Options

TTT

@JBK All true. I didn't know whether to click "AGREE" or "LIKE" on your post. A great read and virtually the only reference on the "whole" story. A well researched classic. I'm not saying this in an attempt to sell it (I'd be just as happy to keep it in my library), but if someone is interested in this booklet, they need to grab it up when it's available because it could be months or years before you find another.

• Options

@MWallace said:
    TTT

@JBK All true. I didn't know whether to click "AGREE" or "LIKE" on your post. A great read and virtually the only reference on the "whole" story. A well researched classic. I'm not saying this in an attempt to sell it (I'd be just as happy to keep it in my library), but if someone is interested in this booklet, they need to grab it up when it's available because it could be months or years before you find another.

In the several years when I was more actively buying Henning nickels (I'm still searching for non-1944s) I saw a couple dozen or more of the nickels but not one of these booklets.

I finally got desperate enough to muster all my interweb skills and track down the author who lucky for me had a somewhat unusual name.

But, as @MWallace said, this opportunity may not come around again for a long time. And it's autographed, no less!

• Options
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'd be all over this if it weren't for the fact that I tracked down the author several years ago (just a few months before he passed away, it turned out :'( ) and he sold me a few copies.

This has always been a rare publication, universally mentioned as the ultimate reference on Henning nickels, but almost impossible to find.

The value of this book has been rising in recent years as the value of the Henning nickels has risen.

Where can you locate a value for these nickels?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@JBK said:

Where can you locate a value for these nickels?

Ebay.

There is no "official" price guide since they are counterfeits.

1944 is the most plentiful, not necessarily because there are more of them, but because they are more easily recognizable because they lack the wartime mintmark over the dome on the reverse.

I just looked at completed auctions and I was shocked to see that the 1944-dated Hennings routinely sell for over $100, with many in the $140-$150 range.

I also note that there are also a number of people trying to sell normal nickels as Henning counterfeits!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found my 44 in circ. some 45 years ago. Now to determine if I have a counterfeit of a counterfeit.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Let's go, people. Opportunity is knocking! ;)

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

I can't wait until weeks or months from now when Henning nickels come up on the Forum again and someone complains that they can't find a copy of this rare publication. :|

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I can't wait until weeks or months from now when Henning nickels come up on the Forum again and someone complains that they can't find a copy of this rare publication. :|

It will not be me complaining, ;)

• Options

That's good news!