Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How to physically store large size foreign medals

I collect medals from Denmark and am looking for ideas on how to physically store and catalog especially the large medals. The small coin size medals fit well in a PCGS box using either PCGS flips or crown size flips. But what about the big ones? I know how to store them to protect their surfaces. Just need ideas on how to efficiently store and catalog as I need to see these beauties in order to determine if I need them or not. Unfortunately, I don't read or speak Danish so I must use the old Mark I eyeball.

I look forward to everyone's ideas.

Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have all that many large medals, but the ones I want to keep, I am slowly getting slabbed in oversized holders. It is the safest way to store them. And it will allow easy selling when the time comes.

But they are darn heavy in their plastic tombs! I store them in the oversized NGC storage boxes (even though the PCGS ones don't fit in the slots).

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

When not traveling or anything that would slide them around, stackable felt lined trays seem to do the trick for me.

• Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭

Good stuff. Keep them coming. Hopefully everyone can get some ideas. I'm slowly going to get the better pieces graded but it's spendy and I have almost 100 Medals so far.

Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I have medals of various sizes. Some are in 2x2's in pages, some are in crown size flips in pages, some are in slabs in slab boxes, and the larger are in original boxes or sleeves and stored in shoe boxes. The key is identifying what size the piece is and making a note in my inventory list of which book, slab box, or shoe box it's in.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, I don’t know if you are also including plaquettes in your collection (by that I mean rectangular or non-round medals), but I tried sending one to PCGS and it showed up on the orders page graded, then the next day they removed the grade and said “No Service/Refund” and the plaquette was returned unslabbed.

I never could get an answer as to what happened, but all I can think of is they couldn’t find a way to encapsulate it.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose that one would have a similar problem with graded US five ounce silver "coins".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

I've always held a fondness for coins entombed in Lucite, so that would be my recommendation

then you can show off your collection in items that are useful around the house, like plates, toilet bowl seats, chair backs, etc.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhh, I would rather not have my favorite medals ending up IN a toilet seat....LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.