Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Good places to buy a certified $500 bill?

Hi,

I'm not a currency collector, but would like to purchase a $500 bill for the novelty. I would prefer one certified (very fine to extremely fine), but I'm not sure where to get one other than ebay. Does anyone have any recommendations for currency dealers who would have a basic $500 bill? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

HA has one up for auction March 1 and a number of others in May auction

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks

• Options
    BanknoteBluesBanknoteBlues Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited February 25, 2022 2:02PM

Jeff Brueggeman - Action Currency always has a good inventory at competitive prices. Top notch dealer.

https://actioncurrency.com/currency.php

• Options

@BanknoteBlues said:
    Jeff Brueggeman - Action Currency always has a good inventory at competitive prices. Top notch dealer.

https://actioncurrency.com/currency.php

Thank you, I'll have a look !

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

You could look for a local coin or currency show in your area and maybe find a nice one. I was told by a couple of people, that the price went up on 500$ bills.

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:
    You could look for a local coin or currency show in your area and maybe find a nice one. I was told by a couple of people, that the price went up on 500$ bills.

Prices are insane. Taped, low grade $500's are $1400 & up.

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Ted 1 said:

@air4mdc said:

Prices are insane. Taped, low grade $500's are $1400 & up.

I agree as well that those prices are insane, it sounds like what I heard is true. Thanks for passing this along.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your venture :)

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

My advice is to you is to do your research and have patients. Don’t buy a bargain problem note expecting to upgrade it in the future. Buy it once. Try to find an example with original paper, above average eye appeal don’t pass up mid-grade examples. Some can be real jewels at a fraction of what an uncirculated example costs. I bought this 10 years ago when prices were fairly stable.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    My advice is to you is to do your research and have patients. Don’t buy a bargain problem note expecting to upgrade it in the future. Buy it once. Try to find an example with original paper, above average eye appeal don’t pass up mid-grade examples. Some can be real jewels at a fraction of what an uncirculated example costs. I bought this 10 years ago when prices were fairly stable.

@Steve_in_Tampa offers topnotch advice (as usual). I came into some money about 10 years ago & waited about 3-4 years before picking up a1935 Bank of Canada $20. They're very pricey but the dealer & I negotiated a great deal (which I had the luxury of making in 2 payments). It was a PMG35EPQ & graded more conservatively like we're accustomed to, so its original eye appeal (well centred, bold colours, a few planchettes) literally jumped out at me. By waiting so long I saw hundreds of examples, many pressed EF40's that didn't shine a light to this 35EPQ:

(It was tough to wait but well worth my troubles)

• Options

Thanks for the advice. So far I haven’t seen any that I want for the price but will find one eventually.