Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Obsolete US notes, Civil War era

Been collecting US coins for many years and just bought my first obsolete note. Looks interesting.

Al

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your first Obsolete. Your note shows a small train vignette bisecting the denomination, Native American warriors are at top left, and Mechanics in contemporary dress is at bottom right. Chances are is has a blank back. Nice note.

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

Yes blank back, and I am really surprised at the very nice and intricate designs. I may be hooked but need to do much research because I have no idea as to values. I paid $60 for this so not sure how much I over paid or not. It had buy it now on ebay for $99 and I offered $60 and was surprised I got it. But I did look at precious sales and seen some of less quality in that price range. Was from a reputable ebay seller. Either way I like it.
    Al

• Options

Looking for price guides for obsolete notes, especially civil war era.
    Thanks
    Al

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, TunaMcButter, for your excellent addition. Yes, this is indeed the most important and significant aspect of this special emergency issue.

A good collecting theme is money payable in things other than other money. The most common for scrip are the general categories of "goods" or "merchandise" but some scrip can be payable in cotton, lead, water, meat and many other things of value.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Thanks, I am slowly learning and these posts are very helpful
    Al

• Options
    SonnyDSonnyD Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I picked this $10 Franklin bank obselete last month for the great imagery content and I've recently found a security feature within it as well looking under my loupe. Very fascinating to me.

Ounce by ounce the stack grows .

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

@JoeLewis said:

Hey, I found my cherubs! Last year I picked up a couple tiny proofs of these little guys without knowing anything about them. And here they are on the back your your Gosport note. Now I know they were engraved by Wellstood, Hay & Whiting.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.