Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are Your Card Purchases Only Based On On Field Performance.

Often wondered what factor(s) collectors determine their purchases by. Mainly from on field only or other factor(s). In particular do you as well consider what the player did after their playing days are over. For instance if the player was average/above average, but not a HOFer but had a successful career in the announcing booth,in television,movies,business, etc. Would you be more apt to buy their cards over some player who had similar statistics but faded from the limelight view. Joe Dimaggio sold coffee pots and represented a bank in his post playing days. Although a boxer, George Foreman sold grills. Do these enhance your card purchase considerations? You have Strahan all over the TV airwaves. Does this make him more collectible, maybe even superseding his on field performances? Collectible due to his on camera persona. Or on the neg. side you have OJ. Would you not buy his cards due to his post career notoriety despite his HOF status? To sum up. Does media exposure make a retired player more greater/popular beyond their on field career, thus more collectible?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a set builder. So the only aspect where on field performance factors in to my purchasing is on price. Guys like Bob Uecker command a premium because of their off field contributions. Therefore, I have to pay more if I want to purchase them for my sets.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2022 12:11PM

Are Your Card Purchases Only Based On On Field Performance?

Nope!

I get the same great feeling be it a 1976 Topps "Traded" Oscar Gamble or a 1973 Willie Mays.

For a time I collected Fred Dryer cards after watching Hunter repeats. During early COVID era I picked up a 1973 Wes Parker, 1973 Joe Namath, a 1973 Deacon Jones and a 1971 Brady Bunch #25 "Christmas Celebration" (IIRC only card with entire cast not too mention Tiger the dog) after a Brady Bunch binge. BTW after 5-6 episodes in row I actually felt my IQ dropping.

I've purchased many Reggie Jackson cards simply because he was REG-GIE, REG-GIE, REG-GIE

I like cards more than I like stats, so yep I ain't a Mike Trout collector, watching him walk to first base is BOOOOOOOOORING :)

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to unicorns I find less is needed to buy them.... Roger Maris, Bo Jackson (neither HOF'ers), Ohtani now with his greatest season by any player in a hybrid capacity~ his elegant demeanor is extraordinary!! What a gentleman...... I love Keith Hernandez for the special '86 series along with Gary Carter and the Straw and all the flaws on that MEts team with drugs and womanizing....two of those btw are not in the HOF~ now Strawberry is leading recoveries across America with his church and healing .... I love Jose Canseco for coming out and speaking candidly about what nobody would... maybe I'm in the minority... but Jose will always be a lightening rod unicorn ... they made their mark in the tapestry of MLB good or bad.... I will always enjoy what Sammy Sosa brought to the game.. with his smile and energy despite the negativity. Bob Uecker was a fave as is Joe Torre for his leadership during 911 ... I have my very own Bill Buckner RC from the '70 topps set.... he was a heck of a ballplayer. It goes on. Media can't hurt in general.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

I picked up a 1973 Wes Parker, 1973 Joe Namath, a 1973 Deacon Jones and a 1971 Brady Bunch #25 "Christmas Celebration" (IIRC only card with entire cast not too mention Tiger the dog) after a Brady Bunch binge. BTW after 5-6 episodes in row I actually felt my IQ dropping.

Did you pick up a Don Drysdale?
    Don, Mike, and Greg where in the backyard tossing the ball around, Don says something to Greg about being a Bonus Baby.
    :)

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I tend to buy sports cards of those who served in the military. (Bob Feller, Pat Tillman, Jack Ferrante) among other players/vets.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 11:11AM

@shawther said:
    I tend to buy sports cards of those who served in the military. (Bob Feller, Pat Tillman, Jack Ferrante) among other players/vets.

Make sure you pick this one up, Chuck is cool!

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/chuck-goggin/

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I love vintage cards and I used to be able to purchase as many as I wanted to. Many years ago, I had an odd habit of buying graded cards of anyone listed in the Beckett books. For example, if there were 50 card listings (stars, semi-stars, rookies, etc.) for 1969 Topps, I would try to buy all of them in PSA 8. Thankfully I completed that a long time ago because I would not be able to do that with today's prices.

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

How about the team a player is playing on, does that matter to you? For example, say you are a big 49ers fan and your favorite player was Joe Montana. Did you buy any of his KC cards? I'm sure it had to be hard for die hard Patriots fans to see Brady in a Tampa Bay uniform. Luckily for me my favorite player was Jim Brown and he was only ever on the Browns.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

I collect HOFers mainly - so field performance, but really enjoy a great story - Piccolo, Papale, Fidrych, etc. And anything Pilots, Mariners, Supersonics, Seahawks, (in team uniform) and a connection to Seattle hockey like Lester Patrick and Guyle Fielder. Who doesn't like the 1974 Dan Goich...just because.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I am primarily a team collector (Cubs/Bears), so I collect both HOFers and commons alike. It's more about an emotional attachment to my favorite players as a kid or players my dad admired, regardless of stats. With vintage, I've also picked up 1940s/50s commons if I like the card design and its in exceptional condition. I enjoy "Google-ing" vintage-era players I am not familiar with.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and No,

When I watch my old school VHS football I might decide to chase certain ones….
    But I really like how Patrick plays…