Home Sports Talk
Options

Juwan Howard took a big ol' swipe at a Wisconsin assistant today.........and connected

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2022 7:46PM in Sports Talk

only reason i saw this is because i was waiting for the game to end so i could watch Tiger's tournament

the game itself completely bored me to tears, but not what happened after it!

pay special attention to the :30 mark. no doubt a suspension is forthcoming

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 10:23PM

It was the only shot a Michigan guy connected on in the second half

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I haven't seen anything like that before, a head coach punching an assistant coach for the other team.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 6:58PM

Juwan Howard does have a temper, I believe this incident occured last season, when he tried to fight Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdI-9eEMYs

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what are we talking here? A slap on the wrist. A few game suspensions? Surely not going to be fired over this - Not at Michigan. Maybe a lawsuit that settles out of court? Or "No blood", "No Foul"? After all - that assistant coaches face did strike Juwan's fist first............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 9:34PM

Howard blamed his anger on the opposing coach,Greg Gard, calling a late timeout with a double digit lead and seconds left in the game and after hearing Gard's reasoning calling the TO made sense. Howard then instigated that entire altercation blaming it on Gard touching his arm in the handshake line. He'll get a decent suspension and with just 5 regular season games left this season then the conference tournament who knows how many games he'll end up missing.
    Back when the Celtics were looking for a new head coach over this past offseason he was one of the names I was hoping the front office would look at.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was last season and maybe it was the MD game shown above, after the on court Juwan H. Altercation, he defended his actions.

He said something that was either along the lines of “stand your ground laws” or “don’t back down” .

Last season’s dust up and this one has JH “holding his ground” with a lot more “action” than “action received”

And I like a lot of what JH does. Does seem an unbalanced pair of action-reactions tho

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

The Big Ten can only suspend him for 2 games I believe and up to 10k fine. The University will suspend him more.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

UM has home games starting with Rutgers followed by Illinois and the Spartans come to Ann Arbor. I think the UM game will be the last regular season conference road game for the Illini.

Not that an incident like this ever comes at a good time, but it will impact who will emerge as the conference season champion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

completely unprofessional and Howard should be fired. way way way over the line.

good grief guy, control yourself.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some players joined in on the festivities as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2022 10:39AM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Looks like some players joined in on the festivities as well.

Yes. Watch the video at around the 45-48 second mark. Player #5, Terrance Williams (?) seems to be enjoying the festivities quite a bit! Big smile, hand clapping.... Just a fun loving kid at the party!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    completely unprofessional and Howard should be fired. way way way over the line.

good grief guy, control yourself.

I got a call from a fellow alum to check my temperature. Firing him is on the table

m

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

Firing him is on the table

m

i think this is what's going to happen. and frankly it should, because his inability to control himself incited a scrum that led to some players throwing haymakers

when you do that, it's time for you to go

• Options
    edited February 21, 2022 1:03PM

@galaxy27 said:

@Justacommeman said:

Firing him is on the table

m

i think this is what's going to happen. and frankly it should, because his inability to control himself incited a scrum that led to some players throwing haymakers

when you do that, it's time for you to go

He was National coach of the year in 2021. Players love him. He has had two of the top recruiting classes in the nation if not the top. But with all that said this not the first time and it has to be the last time.

If Juwan wanted to throw hands for someone calling a time out with the clock winding down it should have been Chris Webber

As for the thread on who you want on your side in bar fight. Im changing my answer to Juwan

m

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

If Juwan wanted to throw hands for someone calling a time out with the clock winding down it should have been Chris Webber

m

/thread

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2022 3:33PM

@Justacommeman said:

As for the thread on who you want on your side in bar fight. Im changing my answer to Juwan

Well, Juwan does have a history of jumping and punching out the ladies and from what I can see in the video, he has no problem picking on guys who are much smaller than he is.....so.....I guess if you got into a bar fight with some drunk midgets and women.....he would be the guy to team up with. A real tough guy....but, I suspect that if the odds were evenly matched...... he'd be the first one to run for the hills. I'd rather take the worst beating from hell before I teamed up with that creep on my side........In a real bar fight, the Juwans of this world hit the floor first and cry like babies after the fact......Ever been in a bar fight?

• Options
    edited February 21, 2022 5:10PM

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:

Well, Juwan does have a history of jumping and punching out the ladies and from what I can see in the video, he has no problem picking on guys who are much smaller than he is.....so.....I guess if you got into a bar fight with some drunk midgets and women.....he would be the guy to team up with. A real tough guy....but, I suspect that if the odds were evenly matched...... he'd be the first one to run for the hills. I'd rather take the worst beating from hell before I teamed up with that creep on my side........In a real bar fight, the Juwans of this world hit the floor first and cry like babies after the fact......Ever been in a bar fight?

Yes I have and have a scar to prove it. The truth of the matter is that you don't know how people are going respond in a bar fight and the absolute chaos.

I think you are dead wrong in this case. You don't know him. Juwan is from the absolute roughest part of Chicago. He comes from the school of swing first or you die. He ain't running from anything. Almost everyone is smaller then him. As you know that really doesn't matter. Besides he wasn't trying to take the guys head off.

He played 19 years in the NBA at a high level as undersized for his position. He's plenty tough enough. He obviously has a short fuse as of late and that is a problem.

My people are telling me Michigan will hand down a longer suspension then the NCAA. Hopefully he learns from it

m

• Options

CBS News to have a segment tonight.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2022 4:58PM

And with that being said Michigan has just suspended him for the rest of the regular season. They have 5 games left. The NCAA could only suspend him for two games.

m

• Options

Punishment just came down - suspended the rest of the season and $40,000 fine. (so far)

• Options

Can he sit in the student section?

• Options

Where does the $40,000 fine go?

I have not followed Juwan's career. A coach at a major school has responsibilities that includes Sportsmanship and controlling emotions as well as defusing the emotions of others. I did not see the game- just what was shared in this thread. Now seems to be the time to be accountable and apologize. There is a line... he crossed it... and he needs to address this in a professional way that will give his players, the school and the conference the assurance that his heart and mind are in the right place. And that there remains a compelling reason for the people that matter to remain confident in him.

• Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Juwan Howard:

"After taking time to reflect on all that happened, I realize how unacceptable both my actions and words were, and how they affected so many. I am truly sorry.”

“I am offering my sincerest apology to my players and their families, my staff, my family and the Michigan fans around the world. I would like to personally apologize to Wisconsin’s Assistant Coach Joel Krabbenhoft and his family, too.”

“Lastly, I speak a lot about being a Michigan man and representing the University of Michigan with class and pride, I did not do that, nor did I set the right example in the right way for my student-athletes. I will learn from my mistake and this mistake will never happen again. No excuses!”

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Juwan Howard:

"After taking time to reflect on all that happened, I realize how unacceptable both my actions and words were, and how they affected so many. I am truly sorry.”

“I am offering my sincerest apology to my players and their families, my staff, my family and the Michigan fans around the world. I would like to personally apologize to Wisconsin’s Assistant Coach Joel Krabbenhoft and his family, too.”

“Lastly, I speak a lot about being a Michigan man and representing the University of Michigan with class and pride, I did not do that, nor did I set the right example in the right way for my student-athletes. I will learn from my mistake and this mistake will never happen again. No excuses!”

forced PR apology

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

"“Lastly, I speak a lot about being a Michigan man and representing the University of Michigan with class and pride, AND I don't want to lose my $3Million+ per year cake job......" ;)

• Options

@Justacommeman

Thanks for posting the apology text. I see it as sincere as he is not couching his apology by even mentioning causation/blame elsewhere which would have been bad... as in really bad. Initially I thought he could have included the Wisconsin Staff and team but I suppose one could say it is implied in the first sentence. If he truly resonates well with his players, he needs to lead by example and set a standard for sportsmanship that will be admired. That should be the expectation. An event such as this simply cannot happen again...period.