Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting EBAY shenanigans

Repeating my morning ritual of following up on my EBAY Searches I noticed several followed/wanted cards were caught by my search parameters.... Actually TWO identical interesting cards were caught by my searches, What are the odds that 2 1957 Topps Mickey Mantle's PSA 8.5 would be auctioned off on EBAY the same day? Long - I agree.

Here's the interesting part - its the same card, auctioned by different sellers [ledfirstchoiceltd and classiccover]

I check further and there are multiple example of duplicate postings!
So who actually has the card?? And, which winner will actually get the card?? (I'm betting neither winner sees anything!)

Steve Saldutti
sjjs28@comcast.net
Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's been hundreds of fake listings lately with mahomes rookie cards.
    And I think last night they were with that first seller you mentioned, maybe a hijacked account?

Its been happening with Mahomes cards for at least several weeks, they are sometimes stealing
    the card photos from probstein and other legitimate sellers.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the Mahomes cards here is the message that is found on the item description...

PLEASE NO TIME WASTERS, WE ONLY SELL AT THIS PRICE!!! PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US IF YOU
    DON'T WISH TO BUY!!! PLEASE CHECKOUT THE PICTURES AND CONTACT US!!!
    WE ACCEPT FAST SALE FOR THIS ITEM AT THE PRICE OF: 10080 USD

Of course they vary the price they are asking depending on the card. They are in auction format
    then they demand a certain price. :p

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    On the Mahomes cards here is the message that is found on the item description...

PLEASE NO TIME WASTERS, WE ONLY SELL AT THIS PRICE!!! PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US IF YOU

Of course they vary the price they are asking depending on the card. They are in auction format

When the eBay/CSG authentication process encompass graded cards above $250 will this type of scam be eliminated?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

Plus if you bid on any of the items listed by at least 3 of these different sellers currently on eBay and then go and check your current bid status on all your items it will not show up !!!! But if you happen to get outbid you will receive an email stating you were outbid , This happened a few weeks back also with hundreds of items high price items ..

• Options

@paulb71 said:
    Plus if you bid on any of the items listed by at least 3 of these different sellers currently on eBay and then go and check your current bid status on all your items it will not show up !!!! ..

Any idea why?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Darin said:

When the eBay/CSG authentication process encompass graded cards above $250 will this type of scam be eliminated?

Not at all, the seller has no card to send, so the authentication process is moot, as they are soliciting sales outside of eBay.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

No clue why, there is a thread on this format from last week or so that was discussing this same issue with different sellers . 2 topps 1975 bb cello boxes currently on eBay now by these sellers

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paulb71 said:
    No clue why, there is a thread on this format from last week or so that was discussing this same issue with different sellers . 2 topps 1975 bb cello boxes currently on eBay now by these sellers

I think they are cancelling all the bids, as they clearly state in their write up that no bids are accepted, only off eBay buy it nows.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thousands of fraudulent listings with pirated images. Avoid like the plague.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I would hope that as soon as a listing specifying that an item is only available for sale outside of eBay is reported that the seller's account would be terminated immediately since this in clearly in violation of eBay seller policies. eBay makes no money when a listing is cancelled and the sale occurs outside their system.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Darin said:

Not at all, the seller has no card to send, so the authentication process is moot, as they are soliciting sales outside of eBay.

Thanks. I don't look at auctions for Modern Cards, so have never seen listing like that.

Only has to work once for it to be a success and sadly I bet it has.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjjs28 said:
    Repeating my morning ritual of following up on my EBAY Searches I noticed several followed/wanted cards were caught by my search parameters.... Actually TWO identical interesting cards were caught by my searches, What are the odds that 2 1957 Topps Mickey Mantle's PSA 8.5 would be auctioned off on EBAY the same day? Long - I agree.

Here's the interesting part - its the same card, auctioned by different sellers [ledfirstchoiceltd and classiccover]

So who actually has the card?? And, which winner will actually get the card?? (I'm betting neither winner sees anything!)

They are no longer on there but my guess is one ended in 502 and the other in 594. Those two cards have changed hands a bunch of times with legit sale. Can’t understand why people keep buying them and flipping them. Maybe they think they will get a 9 and when it does not bump they move them.

KC

• Options
    edited February 20, 2022 1:08PM

@KendallCat said:

@sjjs28 said:

They are no longer on there but my guess is one ended in 502 and the other in 594. Those two cards have changed hands a bunch of times with legit sale. Can’t understand why people keep buying them and flipping them. Maybe they think they will get a 9 and when it does not bump they move them.

KC

In this case, al of the cards/boxes/cases etc are not in hand. The images are stolen from past ebay auctions and the internet.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC

In this case, al of the cards/boxes/cases etc are not in hand. The images are stolen from past ebay auctions and the internet.

Correct Tim. None are legit and in the hands of the owners. eBay should ban people from their platform who engage in these activities.

KC

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

They have been doing this for a while now. $1 stating bids. Sign on left of auction clearly directs buyer away off ebay.
    They state no bids as they have no intention of selling (what they don't have). Hundreds of ebay id's. They stay on for a short while until ebay shuts them down.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    They have been doing this for a while now. $1 stating bids. Sign on left of auction clearly directs buyer away off ebay.
    They state no bids as they have no intention of selling (what they don't have). Hundreds of ebay id's. They stay on for a short while until ebay shuts them down.

If you have a burner eBay account, why not? As someone above pointed out, all it takes is one greedy and imprudent buyer.

• Options

@daltex said:

@jay0791 said:

If you have a burner eBay account, why not? As someone above pointed out, all it takes is one greedy and imprudent buyer.

The interesting part here though is these seller accounts are long tenured accounts with significant feedback history, including recent feedback, too, so not sure what's going on., as you'd expect a dormant FB history for a hijacked account.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@jay0791 said:

The interesting part here though is these seller accounts are long tenured accounts with significant feedback history, including recent feedback, too, so not sure what's going on., as you'd expect a dormant FB history for a hijacked account.

Long Con? :D

• Options

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@jay0791 said:

Why? Isn't it just as easy to hijack an active account? It's not as though the "seller" needs to accept the managed payments. All he has to do is cancel any bids that are foolish enough to be placed, if that. It's probably easier to hide a dozen phony listings in those of a seller who has hundreds than one who hasn't used the account in years.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2022 8:02PM

@daltex said:

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@jay0791 said:

Why? Isn't it just as easy to hijack an active account? It's not as though the "seller" needs to accept the managed payments. All he has to do is cancel any bids that are foolish enough to be placed, if that. It's probably easier to hide a dozen phony listings in those of a seller who has hundreds than one who hasn't used the account in years.

I'd think it would be more difficult to hijack an active account..if someone commandeered my ebay account, even though I rarely sell on ebay, I'd notice it immediately.

We're not talking a dozen phony listings here; we're talking thousands.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@jay0791 said:

I'd think it would be more difficult to hijack an active account..if someone commandeered my ebay account, even though I rarely sell on ebay, I'd notice it immediately.

We're not talking dozens of phony listings here; we're talking tens of thousands.

Or precisely because you rarely sell. Last time I sold on eBay I got a check in the mail, but when does eBay send you messages? If only when your items sell, that would never happen with these accounts. If it is, say, five messages per item, then are you likely to notice 60 emails among 3500 legit ones that don't require action? And if the account owner notices, so what? You were going to move on soon anyway.

Tens of thousands total or from one account?

• Options
    edited February 20, 2022 8:08PM

@daltex said:

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@jay0791 said:

We're not talking dozens of phony listings here; we're talking tens of thousands.

Or precisely because you rarely sell. Last time I sold on eBay I got a check in the mail, but when does eBay send you messages? If only when your items sell, that would never happen with these accounts. If it is, say, five messages per item, then are you likely to notice 60 emails among 3500 legit ones that don't require action? And if the account owner notices, so what? You were going to move on soon anyway.

Tens of thousands total or from one account?

It was two accounts; I forgot the exact figure but it was easily thousands of fraudulent listings using pirated images from previous auctions. I want to say upwards of 50K listings, all of which at first glance were fraudulent. There's absolutely no way this could happen without a seller noticing unless they passed away or went away for an extended period of time with no internet access.

• Options

All 50K+ listings that were up last night have now been taken down by ebay but I expect we will see them pop up again soon enough.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I have been following this.

way more than 2 accounts

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

This is about the 20th account over the past 3 months that has been hacked with these same listings. The goal is pretty simple for the hacker... prey on hobbyists who ignore all signs of fraud just to get what they perceive will be a great deal.

There is a reason why resealed vintage packs have been so prevalent for so long on eBay and it is not because of the fraudulent lister but mainly because of the buyers that continue to throw money at these listers.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@grote15 said:

@daltex said:

@jay0791 said:

We're not talking a dozen phony listings here; we're talking thousands.

Yes, I can't figure this out at all. How would you not notice this if you had an active account??? This stuff seems to be happening a ton. Very disturbing to say the least.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure you would be able to notice a phony listing on your account. Every time I create a new listing and it goes live, I receive an email from eBay notifying me that the listing went live. The only time I don't get an email if the new listing was a scheduled listing.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    I am pretty sure you would be able to notice a phony listing on your account. Every time I create a new listing and it goes live, I receive an email from eBay notifying me that the listing went live. The only time I don't get an email if the new listing was a scheduled listing.

Interesting, because I don't get emails like that. I assume you can manipulate your notifications, so it is possible to not get such an email.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

If a deal is too good and not covered by ebay protection, walk away. Too many folks want to buy premium stuff on the cheap so this scam shall continue.

• Options

@GoDodgersFan said:
    If a deal is too good and not covered by ebay protection, walk away. Too many folks want to buy premium stuff on the cheap so this scam shall continue.

Not all but most cons require the victim to have some level greed to be successful.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!!!
    THE WORST PART IS THAT THEY HAVE GREAT FEEDBACK !!!
    AND WHY AM I TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS ?!!!
    HACKED !!!

• Options

Sadly, many people have turned from collectors to addicts. 99% of anybody can see the guy with 15 Hank Aaron rookies listed with all sorts of scans and pictures are not legit listings; but addicts can't see it that way. Pulling guns outside of Target/Walmart because packs were no longer available.....etc. Just bizarre to say the least. Scams will always work when addicts are involved. The amount of fraud and greed is creating a really bad atmosphere for the hobby right now.

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I have a question about a different type of eBay (possible) shenanigan: when a listing has photos but the zoom function is disabled, is that a sign of a dealer's dishonesty, or is it some bug? This happens to me regularly, that I can't get a good look at an item. I've not noticed an option for disabling zoom when listing, but perhaps that's a hidden option somewhere? Needless to say, if I can't zoom in I'm not buying, since who knows what defects might be hidden?

(Not to hijack the thread, but this isn't worth a separate thread, and I suspect that the main points about the original issue have all been made.)

• Options

@GilR said:
    I have a question about a different type of eBay (possible) shenanigan: when a listing has photos but the zoom function is disabled, is that a sign of a dealer's dishonesty, or is it some bug? This happens to me regularly, that I can't get a good look at an item. I've not noticed an option for disabling zoom when listing, but perhaps that's a hidden option somewhere? Needless to say, if I can't zoom in I'm not buying, since who knows what defects might be hidden?

(Not to hijack the thread, but this isn't worth a separate thread, and I suspect that the main points about the original issue have all been made.)

Some sellers are using the same listing platform for the last 20 years. They click sell similar and it was before the zoom feature......BUT yes some are just not wanting you to see the item up too close.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@GilR said:

I thought it was due to their image not being hi-res enough? I'm trying to think when I list something, I don't recall checking or unchecking a box for zoom. Just my own theory, I have no facts backing that up.

• Options

@swish54 said:

@GilR said:

I thought it was due to their image not being hi-res enough? I'm trying to think when I list something, I don't recall checking or unchecking a box for zoom. Just my own theory, I have no facts backing that up.

This is the correct answer. Zoom is only available if the image exceeds a certain resolution threshold

• Options

@GilR said:

If you're really interested, ask for close-ups, if not, walk away. I wouldn't assume nefarious intent, just speed or incompetence.

• Options

• Options

lot of big sellers using weak password it seems???

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems so

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions