Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Memory Lane Auction ending tonight...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2022 6:01PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Good Luck landing high end material...prices are becoming cost-prohibitive for high end collectors. Here are two examples: both records as the auction enters extended bidding.

1971 Reggie Jackson PSA-9 $59,000 (previous record $44,000)
1973 Tom Seaver PSA-10 $45,000 (previous record $11,000+)

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

That "Carload" lot of vending is surprising so far too...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    It’s really getting comical. I paid $125 for this Seaver 9 a couple of years ago. But a 10 is worth 400 times more? Silly.

In all fairness, you aren't likely to get a card like that for anything like $125 today. You can argue the multiple, and with reason, but better say "100 times".

• Options

@Bosox1976 said:
    That "Carload" lot of vending is surprising so far too...

6400 cards is a "carload"?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

In all fairness, you aren't likely to get a card like that for anything like $125 today. You can argue the multiple, and with reason, but better say "100 times".

That’s fair. But this 10 is diamond cut, not really that great an example to be setting records. Clearly the card doesn’t even matter at this point. It’s just an asset.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2022 9:07PM

Regarding the Seavers, the 9 is the better card. Focus, centering, even corners; the 10's lower left front corner is clearly soft. The 10 is also cut strangely on the sides. Buying the sticker when the card doesn't merit the grade is just not a good look.

The centering on the Ryan RC PSA 9 they had was also atrocious, left to right. I've seen a few 8s in my time that throw that 9 a beating.

The signed Goudey Ruth #144 is pretty astounding-- beautiful 2 even before adding that Ruth signature.

The Wilt RC SGC 9 looked to really merit the grade, pretty piece.

The 71 Reggie was also indeed mint. Always loved that card.

The altered Shoeless RC got an eye opening price for sure.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    edited February 19, 2022 9:43PM

The Seaver at an unbelievable $67,000+ now…

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2022 9:38PM

Here is another head scratcher:

1961 Juan Marichal RC PSA-10 $90,000

Here is my PSA-9 which I paid $1500

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Is it really shocking that a 10 sells for more than a 9?

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 5:32AM

@DM23HOF ...I'd opt for a shiny new fully loaded SUV over the psa 10 Seaver.... by a whisker of that soft corner. I have a couple '72 Topps PSA 10's I am considering sticking into an auction depending on which auction co. offers the best % of gavel.... (Reggie Jackson and Thurman Munson). NOt sure if I should sell now or wait a few months ... economy could certainly be cooling if this inflation stays hot and doesn't wane..

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:

Again, the Marichal 9 is superior to the 10. Compare the PD in the red name plate areas. Centering, too. Even if they were the same card, to pay so much more just for a number on the sticker, which is in turn just for some ranking on a puerile online scoreboard… it just gets an eye roll and a shaking of the head.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

Seems like the thing to do these days is to dust off all those super old flip bad example 10s that would never receive a 10 if graded today, get them reholdered, send them off to the AH and watch the money roll in. Not a bad idea if you have them. You could put a good dent in a beautiful 1973 PSA 9 set with the proceeds from that one Seaver.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

@mintonlypls said:

Again, the Marichal 9 is superior to the 10. Compare the PD in the red name plate areas. Centering, too. Even if they were the same card, to pay so much more just for a number on the sticker, which is in turn just for some ranking on a puerile online scoreboard… it just gets an eye roll and a shaking of the head.

Something is off with the PSA 10 Marchial. Look at the top where it is thicker on the upper left border versus upper right border - slight tilt that is visible to the naked eye. Now look at the bottom which is perfectly level all the way across. Something does not add up IMO. Plus with the print issues I don’t see how that is a 10.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Seems like the thing to do these days is to dust off all those super old flip bad example 10s that would never receive a 10 if graded today, get them reholdered, send them off to the AH and watch the money roll in. Not a bad idea if you have them. You could put a good dent in a beautiful 1973 PSA 9 set with the proceeds from that one Seaver.

My understanding is that when a card is submitted to be reholdered and PSA doesn't feel that the grade is valid they have the right to reholder the card with the "appropriate" grade and reimburse the submitter for the difference between the value of the original and new grades. How they would determine the current value of a high end card with no recent sales history is a mystery. Does anyone know if this is in fact PSA's policy? If so, then selling a questionably graded card in its current holder rather than having it reholdered first would definitely be the safer way to go.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2022 11:18AM

@reelinintheyears said:

@PaulMaul said:

My understanding is that when a card is submitted to be reholdered and PSA doesn't feel that the grade is valid they have the right to reholder the card with the "appropriate" grade and reimburse the submitter for the difference between the value of the original and new grades. How they would determine the current value of a high end card with no recent sales history is a mystery. Does anyone know if this is in fact PSA's policy? If so, then selling a questionably graded card in its current holder rather than having it reholdered first would definitely be the safer way to go.

Actually, they will always reholder with the original grade unless there is damage to the slab in an area potentially affecting the card. They used to explicitly state this in their fees and services section. Now there is a new description of the service which is less explicit, but it does state that the card will not be graded:

https://www.psacard.com/services/tradingcardgrading/reholder

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Always loved the rough cuts on the 61 Marichal.

The top-bottom centering on the 10 would just bug me as an owner.

• Options

Actually, they will always reholder with the original grade unless there is damage to the slab in an area potentially affecting the card. They used to explicitly state this in their fees and services section. Now there is a new description of the service which is less explicit, but it does state that the card will not be graded:

I found what I remember reading, which must apply only when a person who purchased a PSA graded card does not believe that the assigned grade is accurate. It states that if PSA concludes that a card no longer merits the assigned grade then they will either buy the card at current market value if the card can no longer receive a numerical grade or refund the difference in the value between the two grades. I wonder how many times PSA has determined that an assigned grade was inaccurate.

https://www.psacard.com/about/financialguarantee

• Options

@Centauri said:
    Is it really shocking that a 10 sells for more than a 9?

No one is alleging that. The only question is how much higher is appropriate, especially for a "just made it" 10 vs. a "just missed it" 9.