Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A question for the autograph experts regarding different PSA flips

I've always been curious about the different types of flips, and why people get them encapsulated a certain way. I know it's probably registry driven (like just about everything), but maybe someone can explain the nuances of each type, and why one would choose one over the other. Honestly I'm looking at it from a resale perspective, so is any type better than the other(s) when it comes to maximizing sale value? Red, red with grade, or blue? Disregard the players name on the flip and just focus on the type of encapsulation that sells best. Any insight is welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Blue is the older version of "Authentic Auto". PSA did away with the blue label a few years ago.

Now it can either say "trading card" which is the cheapest option or pay a little more that would say the year and brand. All would be red label.

Then some people prefer to have their cards AND autograph "graded". It's simply a preference. A 1988 Topps Jose Canseco card probably doesn't need to be "authenticated" with a grade because it's not a card of any value or heavily reproduced but if someone is buying an expensive card like a Nolan Ryan 1968 RC, it's probably best to have the card "graded" which means its authenticated.

Long story short - blue flips are a thing of the past.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I sent some cards on the last special, and they came back "trading card". The ones with raiderguy are coming back trading card. Psa is not making a determination if the card is real, only the autograph. If you send it in for dual grading, it comes back with the name of the card too. The one is auto grade only, they're not even saying the card is real , the second one went thru psa/dna and they graded the card. If you collect autos, either is fine. For card collectors or registry, I think the card has to be graded.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses guys. I only ask because all of my HOF rookie card autographs are like the flip in the middle picture from my OP (Red, authentic auto only, no card grade, no auto grade).

So if I'm understanding (and that's never for sure with me) potential buyers that are looking to add the cards to the autograph registry won't consider buying the type I have since the card is not graded?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Thanks for the responses guys. I only ask because all of my HOF rookie card autographs are like the flip in the middle picture from my OP (Red, authentic auto only, no card grade, no auto grade).

So if I'm understanding (and that's never for sure with me) potential buyers that are looking to add the cards to the autograph registry won't consider buying the type I have since the card is not graded?

When it says “trading card,” the card is not only not graded, it’s not authenticated either. They authenticated the auto only. Like the old blue flips.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

When it says “trading card,” the card is not only not graded, it’s not authenticated either. They authenticated the auto only. Like the old blue flips.

They attempted to make it less confusing by getting rid of the blue flip... :/

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2022 1:45PM

@nam812 said:

@nam812 said:

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blue Flips are hideous...reminds me of cancer spreading.... If I were to ever buy one It would be heading back for a red flip and likely a dual grading sub.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one really doesn’t bother me too much. It is likely 3-4. Decent color and little print for this issue. Would have to send it in as duel, review or grade add on I don’t think is possible any more. It is for PC, so no rush if I ever decide to do it.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Blue Flips are hideous...reminds me of cancer spreading.... If I were to ever buy one It would be heading back for a red flip and likely a dual grading sub.

that's exactly what I did for the few blues ive purchased. crossed them over to red flips and did the $10 grade add on. good deals can be made on blue flips.

myslabs.to/smzcards