Home Sports Talk

Most infamous plays in sports history

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are some if the most epic, infamous, and remembered plays in sports history?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

The miracle at the meadowlands. The Eagles vs the Giants, 1978. The Giants were ahead 17-12 and all they had to do was run out the clock when disaster struck, the Giants attempted to hand the ball off and fumbled it, Herm Edwards scooped it up and ran it in for a touchdown.

The immaculate reception, just look at Texas Terry escape pressure and sling that ball!

Michael Jordans 1990 buzzer beater against the Cleveland Cavaliers, known as "the shot."

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 Toss Power Trap

https://youtu.be/GKA-ldgNjXE
    Montana to Clark - The Catch

edited February 19, 2022 3:16PM

This was one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen, I believe it was the 1987 Conference Finals, Pistons vs Celtics, the Pistons were up by 1 and all they needed to do was inbound the ball and they would have won. In order for the Celtics to win, they needed to do two things, to steal the ball on the inbound, which is ridiculously hard to do, and then score, which is also difficult to do with just seconds on the clock. Well gurss what happens, Larry Bird steals the ball, and dishes it to I believe Dennis Johnson for the score, Celtics win. Larry Bird was truly amazing. This created one of the most famous lines in sports broadcasting history, "And there's the steal by Bird!"

I can hear Johnny Most now, in that whiny, nasally tone "...and there's a stealllll by Birrrrrd!..."

@countdouglas said:
    I can hear Johnny Most now, in that whiny, nasally tone "...and there's a stealllll by Birrrrrd!..."

Yes, I can still hear it as well!

Buffalo vs Tennesse, 1999, for a trip to the Super Bowl. Buffalo had this game all but won, and then on the kickoff, the "Music City Miracle" happened.

I remember there was a big delay after that play happened, as they had to determine whether it was a lateral or not.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Catch"...in both sports, Mays and Montana to Clark.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2022 7:56PM

Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS. Angels vs. Red Sox. I was there.....

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Play. 1982 Cal vs Stanford.

Have a nice day

Pete Rose collides with Ray Fosse.

Another angle.

This one was insane, Randy johnson hits a bird.

Crazy.

This is the best dunk I've ever seen, at the 2000 Olympic games in Sydney, Vince Carter jumps clear over 7"2' Frederic Weis and dunks.

Rose totally bulldozes Fosse, and is called safe, scoring the winning run.

A-Rod effeminately slaps Arroyo's glove/forearm, dislodging a poorly secured ball, and is called out.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few I can think of in baseball..........

'Merkle's boner', in which Fred Merkle appears to be a victim of terrible umpiring. HOF ump
    Bill Clem said it was the rottenest call ever made in baseball.

'The homer in the Gloamin' which I believe was Gabby Hartnett. This I remember much more from
    the aforementioned nickname than the actual event. Hartnett homered as it was getting dark. :p

Bobby Thomson's shot heard 'round the world.

Carlton Fisk pleading for the ball to stay fair in the world series.

The ball going through Bill Buckner's legs in the 86 world series.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ruben Rivera Baserunning

[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spx9ZeSYVTU

]

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Steve Smith Scores on his own goal in playoffs

[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24w0OaXfa0

]

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

A photo of Babe Ruth calling his shot.

A bloody Nolan Ryan keeps pitching after taking a line drive off the chops from Bo Jackson.

Cam Newton refuses to dive on the fumble in the Super Bowl, costing my cats a chance at immortality, this play will forever be know as, "you stupid idiot."

Shaquille O'Neal destroys the backboard.

Darryl Dawkins shatters the glass.

Oh wow, I just ran across this, I didn't realize Jose Canseco pitched at Fenway Park when he played for the Rangers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIKIvTEkeo

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 9:30AM

Doug Flutie's hail mary is one of the greatest plays in sports history, I'm still amazed every time I see this.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Oh wow, I just ran across this, I didn't realize Jose Canseco pitched at Fenway Park when he played for the Rangers.

He injured his arm doing it and ended up needing Tommy John surgery.

@doubledragon said:

• paulb71paulb71 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭
  • MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2022 9:44PM

Back to back homers from Griffey Jr and Sr not many or any father son combos can claim that at the major league level

Martin

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP said "infamous", and this thread has strayed far, far away. The Royals stealing a World Series by paying off an umpire was the most infamous play in sports history.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

The OP said "infamous", and this thread has strayed far, far away. The Royals stealing a World Series by paying off an umpire was the most infamous play in sports history.

The mistake was just the leadoff hitter. They still had plenty of opportunity to not blow the game after that. They could have started with Jack Clark not missing Steve Balboni's foul popup. Or by Darrell Porter not committing a passed ball. And so on.

And then not gagging away game 7 as well.

The missed call was important but the Cardinals choked.

@Tabe said:

There's no way to know, but I don't think Clark does miss that pop-up except for the blown call, nor does Porter allow the passed ball. And I think Worrell pitches much better. That missed call, coming as it did in the bottom of the ninth, was a rip-your-heart-out moment and the Cardinals had no time to get their heads back in the game. Blaming the Cardinals for how they reacted to being cheated lets the one who cheated them off the hook, and I'm not going to blame the victim.

@dallasactuary said:

@Tabe said:

There's no way to know, but I don't think Clark does miss that pop-up except for the blown call, nor does Porter allow the passed ball. And I think Worrell pitches much better. That missed call, coming as it did in the bottom of the ninth, was a rip-your-heart-out moment and the Cardinals had no time to get their heads back in the game. Blaming the Cardinals for how they reacted to being cheated lets the one who cheated them off the hook, and I'm not going to blame the victim.

This is one of the greatest self-owns in the history of the forum. All I ever hear is how strikeouts don't matter, and called third strikes are exactly the same as swinging strikeouts. Clearly, they are not. This "out" by Orta apparently directly led to 13 runs, 2 wins, an entire opposing roster turning into Mike Schmidt and crapping the bed, a championship, and a baby boom so great in the city of St. Louis that even the Coriolis effect has a hard time keeping the stench from all the diapers and the whining of all the babies in St. Louis from traveling west some 36 years and change later. Thankfully, it only wafts to about Columbia.

Mike Trout just stands there watching the pitch go by, getting rung up, and turns back to the dugout with another one of his stupid looks. See what can happen when you try?!?! Just try, Mike, try!

You can choose this:

Or this:

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@dallasactuary said:

The mistake was just the leadoff hitter. They still had plenty of opportunity to not blow the game after that. They could have started with Jack Clark not missing Steve Balboni's foul popup. Or by Darrell Porter not committing a passed ball. And so on.

And then not gagging away game 7 as well.

I guess I was not paying attention at the time. I was ten, but certainly already followed sports quite a bit. Was there a payoff? I always thought this was just a blown call. Or am I thinking of the wrong call?

The blown call has lived rent free in Cardinal fans heads. But they are far from alone in feeling victimized.

@thisistheshow said:
    I guess I was not paying attention at the time. I was ten, but certainly already followed sports quite a bit. Was there a payoff? I always thought this was just a blown call. Or am I thinking of the wrong call?

It's possible that I may have exaggerated.