Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just how scarce are 1973 Topps Pin-Ups?

I have seen around 35 on eBay for a long time but they never sell. This may be due to the asking prices for super stars ($6,500 and up for Ryan, Aaron, Seaver, Bench, etc.).
It looks like PSA has graded around 350 of them. Can anyone give the story about them or have an idea of how many were created?

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know anything more than what the Standard Catalog offers, but i can say that in nearly 40 years of collecting I've only seen a handful of each player available for sale.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Torre for my Cardinals collection. It took a good many years for me to find one. The 1973 Topps Comics Torre was a lot tougher for me. Found one a few years ago after over a decade of searching.

Shane

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have never liked them because of the no logos. Never understood why a Topps product for baseball airbrushed out the logos. Wonder if a contract with MLB was being renewed sometime between ‘73 and ‘74. If anyone knows why hope they will share.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the article;

TOPPS INSERT, TEST AND SUPPLEMENTAL BASEBALL ISSUES 1949-1980

By David Hornish

If you guessed licensing dispute, you guessed right. I would think Topps got into it with Major League Baseball Properties (the Owners) over the rights to use the team logos. They probably also got into it with the player's union over fees (this had happened previously in 1969). The result of all this is that Topps started shutting down production of supplemental and insert sets, putting and end to the most glorious run in the history of bubble gum cards. After 1974 there was the odd set here and there, plus the 1975 minis (Topps reportedly cut production back on the regular set to produce the minis, so the players and Owners probably got nothing extra that year), but nothing of real significance until the Cloth Stickers of 1977. Notice a trend there? 1969, 1973, 1977...1981 also fits the picture. Every four years the players and Owners re-negotiated the Basic Agreement.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great topic. Certainly hard to find and even more difficult to find in high grade. So glad I added these two to my collection years ago.

• Options
    tod41tod41 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

The Pin Up is easier to find than the Comic. Not even close.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, all. Great to see the examples too. It's interesting that many of you have both the pin up and the comic.

Daniel
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@agr said:

Oh man, I love those!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Thanks for the info, all. Great to see the examples too. It's interesting that many of you have both the pin up and the comic.

I only seriously collect Killebrew, so I had to have them both!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set