Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are your thoughts on this?

For what it's worth, I think Wander is going to be a stud for years to come.

How can these prices be sustainable though?

This Wander hype reminds me of Strasburg mania a bit. Who remembers?

Frank Thomas collector

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait until the first PSA graded 10's hit Ebay. soon after it becomes common and flooded, they will come crashing down and settle. happens every year for every release.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@dictoresno said:
    wait until the first PSA graded 10's hit Ebay. soon after it becomes common and flooded, they will come crashing down and settle. happens every year for every release.

I just don't understand how people are this financially illiterate. Like you said this happens time and time again in the hobby...

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pootshwan said:

@dictoresno said:

I just don't understand how people are this financially illiterate. Like you said this happens time and time again in the hobby...

nope I said it happens every year, on every new release. especially during a big rookie year like 2018 and this year.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 12:45AM

The newer/inexperienced collectors and buying what the veterans are selling.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Someone did rush service, and it's actually paying off:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/115257423881?hash=item1ad5e0b809:g:B2AAAOSwnodiEDS5

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:

OMG that's nice.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@totallyradd said:

OMG that's nice.

No.. Thats insane !

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:

No.....that is stupid....in it's most literal sense. Genius for the seller, though!

That is a non SP or SSP. That should be raw a $20 card and $50 in a PSA 10 at the most!

Shane

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2,075. There will probably be buyer's remorse on this one.

Shane

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    $2,075. There will probably be buyer's remorse on this one.

Agree. Either the buyer doesn't understand the basics of card supply-demand...or he/she has $2k to burn for their Rays PC.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno. If Wander changes his jersey number to 63686766, I could see this buyer breaking even.

• Options

@Vagabond said:
    The newer/inexperienced collectors and buying what the veterans are selling.

Well said

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

FOMO.......(fear of missing out) comes to mind.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2022 5:25PM

@totallyradd .... I bought this below for far less than half of the topps you shared back in August... and its numbered...... its sad honestly.... It doesnt make me feel great about the hobby.... & I wish I didn't feel that way.Somebody is going to lose a great deal of money....If it is in fact a real sale..... with the shear pop count of the Topps Wander ~ the card likely settles around 100 bucks in PSA 10......

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

If grading fees stay at $50 for the best specials over time it goes down to $51 IMO. Tons and tons of these available - and scores of these will be submitted each time PSA has the lottery. However with the backlog and current submission prices, I bet it is a full 12 months until PSA 10s settle at this price point. Bet it stays over the $100 amount at least until the end of the 2022 baseball season.

Think something else will be the rookie to get based on print runs this year. Would not surprise me if the Bowman’s Best becomes more valuable than this card. There is a legit argument as to which is the “rookie” and I think the hobby will settle on the one that is less plentiful. The SP and SSP will do well in series 1 and are likely the ones collectors want out of Series 1.

Wander mania will be something this generation of collectors remember - much like my generation remembers Ken Griffey, Jr. 1981 was the first set I remember where rookie cards became “hot” with Fernando and Carbaneau.

All of this is good for the hobby - memorable run-ups bring excitement and cultivate life-long collectors who like to buy the card they couldn’t afford as a kid.

• Options

@totallyradd said:

wow!

Frank Thomas collector