Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Everyman Mint State Sets - No 64+ coins allowed?

It appears that 64+ coins are ineligible for the Everyman Mint State Sets - whereas 58+ coins are allowed in the standard Everyman sets. I hope PCGS reconsiders this - I think the pursuit of 64+ coins would make the Everyman Mint State sets more fun!

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 1:15PM

Also, are they going to add more Half Dollar sets, or does someone have to initiate a "Set Request" for additinal sets (for example, Everyman Mint State Late Date Walking Halves)

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to add a 64+ to my Everyman MS Liberty Nickel set- same results. I requested that the coin be added and was told it not eligible. I agree it would make the pursuit more fun.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭✭

I assume that PCGS is trying to protect the 64-65 spread. Everyman sets drove up the prices of 58+ coins, but there's a technical difference between a 58 and a 60/61, and people have been paying more for nice 58s than bagged-up 60/61s for a long time so it wasn't as big of a deal. But if 64+ coins start appreciating to the point that they eclipse 65s that may cause problems.

Just a guess of course.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also would like PCGS to review the 64+ grade . I believe that it should be allowed in the set. Like mentioned above, you are able to add 58+ in the regualar set why not let us add a 64+ to this set.
    Hoping they will take a look and adds the 64+

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    I also would like PCGS to review the 64+ grade . I believe that it should be allowed in the set. Like mentioned above, you are able to add 58+ in the regualar set why not let us add a 64+ to this set.

While I don’t have any Everyman sets, I fully agree with you. I also believe copper coins with a RD suffix should count for more registry points than coins with a BN suffix. So just as a 58+ counts more than a 58 (or a 63+ counts more than a 63), shouldn’t a copper coin with a RD suffix count more than one in that same whole grade number with a BN suffix?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2022 5:38AM

@fluffy155 said:
    I assume that PCGS is trying to protect the 64-65 spread. Everyman sets drove up the prices of 58+ coins, but there's a technical difference between a 58 and a 60/61, and people have been paying more for nice 58s than bagged-up 60/61s for a long time so it wasn't as big of a deal. But if 64+ coins start appreciating to the point that they eclipse 65s that may cause problems.

Just a guess of course.

A very good guess and plausible theory. However, I would think PCGS would not be too concerned about this; for example, there are many lowball PO1 and FR2 coins valued higher than G4 in certain series.

• Options

@winesteven said:

@alaura22 said:

While I don’t have any Everyman sets, I fully agree with you. I also believe copper coins with a RD suffix should count for more registry points than coins with a BN suffix. So just as a 58+ counts more than a 58 (or a 63+ counts more than a 63), shouldn’t a copper coin with a RD suffix count more than one in that same whole grade number with a BN suffix?

Steve

So a 64RD and 64BN get the same registry points in these sets? If so, that is not right IMHO and should be corrected.

• Options
    split37split37 Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

I am perplexed why MS64+ coins are not allowed. I emailed PCGS in an attempt for these top of grade coins to be included. It is "under discussion". IMHO, you can't exclude coins at the top of the MS64 grade. That defeats the purpose of having the most eye appealing, strongest struck, and best toners at the top of the grade. To not include these coins relegates them to be one off show pieces because they certainly aren't going to compete at the MS66-67 level.

I am an AU58 everyman collector and I've submitted so many coins to be reconsidered for "+" grade. I'd do the exact same thing for a set in MS64 that has mind-boggling eye appeal/toning. It seems they may be missing out on some resubmission money and crossover money by capping at MS64.

• Options

@split37 said:
    I am perplexed why MS64+ coins are not allowed. I emailed PCGS in an attempt for these top of grade coins to be included. It is "under discussion". IMHO, you can't exclude coins at the top of the MS64 grade. That defeats the purpose of having the most eye appealing, strongest struck, and best toners at the top of the grade. To not include these coins relegates them to be one off show pieces because they certainly aren't going to compete at the MS66-67 level.

I am an AU58 everyman collector and I've submitted so many coins to be reconsidered for "+" grade. I'd do the exact same thing for a set in MS64 that has mind-boggling eye appeal/toning. It seems they may be missing out on some resubmission money and crossover money by capping at MS64.

split37
    I totally agree with everything you sai.
    Let us know how you cotacted them so others can as well. Maybe the more collectors that contact them will help move the process along faster.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not push for everyman AU & MS CAC sets instead?

• Options
    split37split37 Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@split37 said:

split37
    Let us know how you cotacted them so others can as well. Maybe the more collectors that contact them will help move the process along faster.

You can email them at -
    SetRegistry@Collectors.com

• Options

@split37 said:

@alaura22 said:

@split37 said:

split37

You can email them at -

Split37
    Well, I sent a letter to them and received a response today
    Quote: After careful consideration and consultation with our expert team, we landed on the grade of 64 being the cap for the Everyman Mint State as the final decision in order to make it open to the most collectors to compete in.
    I guess that answers that, don't know if there is much we can do at this point. Any suggestions?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

So are MS64+ coins not even allowed in as the base MS64 coins they are?

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    So are MS64+ coins not even allowed in as the base MS64 coins they are?

That is absolutely correct. Additionally, my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that copper coins with RD suffixes count no more with Registry points than copper coins with BN suffixes!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@alaura22 said:

@split37 said:

@alaura22 said:

@split37 said:

split37

You can email them at -

Split37
    Well, I sent a letter to them and received a response today
    Quote: After careful consideration and consultation with our expert team, we landed on the grade of 64 being the cap for the Everyman Mint State as the final decision in order to make it open to the most collectors to compete in.
    I guess that answers that, don't know if there is much we can do at this point. Any suggestions?

Well, then a lot of sets are going to have 10-way ties at the top