Home Sports Talk
Options

Russia Olympic doping

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is unbelievable, a 15 year old doping.

Russian skater at center of doping scandal doesn’t medal

Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva, the 15-year-old at the center of the doping scandal that has rocked the Beijing Olympic Winter Games, failed to medal Thursday in the women’s individual competition.

Valieva, who was considered a gold medal favorite, took fourth behind teammates Anna Shcherbakova and Aleksandra Trusova, while Japan’s Kaori Sakamoto took bronze.

Valieva was in second place entering Thursday’s free skate after the short program on Tuesday, but her performance was riddled with big errors as she fell from medal contention.

Huge controversy arose earlier this week after it came to light that Valieva had tested positive for a banned substance in December yet was allowed to continue to compete in the Games.

Many notable voices in the figure skating world spoke out against the decision, including American medalists Tara Lipinski and Adam Rippon.

Track star Sha’Carri Richardson also spoke out against the decision, as she had been banned from the Tokyo Olympics last summer after she had tested positive for marijuana before the Games.

It had been determined before Thursday’s competition that were Valieva to medal, a ceremony would not be held for any of the medalists because of the controversy.

Earlier this week, Valieva helped Russia win gold in the team event, but team members have not yet received their medals as Valieva’s doping case continues to get sorted out.

Comments

• Options

I'm totally against doping of any kind, if I were an athlete, if I couldn't break records without injecting something into me, then I wouldn't want to break records period. The only way I would want to be great, is through hard work, and fierce determination.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it hard to believe that a 15 year old girl went out on her own and obtained whatever PED that was found in her system. Somebody gave it to her and even if she did or did not know exactly what it was, a child at that age and in her circumstances would almost certainly go along with whatever the adult in the power position would tell her to do. Don't blame the girl. She's just a kid.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    I find it hard to believe that a 15 year old girl went out on her own and obtained whatever PED that was found in her system. Somebody gave it to her and even if she did or did not know exactly what it was, a child at that age and in her circumstances would almost certainly go along with whatever the adult in the power position would tell her to do. Don't blame the girl. She's just a kid.

Totally agree, the Russians should be ashamed of themselves for doping up a 15 year old kid, I absolutely blame the adults around her for this, they're the ones who forced this garbage on her.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 1:39PM

She seems to be a victim. Watching her last night and the entire woman's long program was heart breaking. She will never be the same. She was used. Shame . I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that. The silver medalist also had a meltdown because she thought she was robbed of gold and the bronze medalist was inconsolable because she was so happy. It's was very confusing at times.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's Russia

surprised i am not

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    it's Russia

surprised i am not

My initial thought was she was asked to throw she routine as they knew she wasn't going to keep any medal from last night plus save face. The ROC was able to get gold and silver without her. So......:

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Her skating had been impeccable. Last night she was horrible. I asked my wife who watches all the skating she can if this young girl was falling deliberately to end the chaos. She did not think so but I was not so sure. We must not be quick to blame the Russian Olympic Team. They were not even there since they were banned because of previous doping scandals. These were simply the athletes of an Olympic Committee that just happened to be Russian.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph