Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

FS Great Britain 1789 Halfpenny Conder Token, Durham, South Shields. DH-7, MS65BN PCGS. PCGS Pop 1/0

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

FS $550 Great Britain 1789 Halfpenny Conder Token, Durham, South Shields. DH-7, MS65BN PCGS. PCGS Pop 1/0. Obv. a nicely detailed three-masted sailing ship with SUCCESS TO THE COAL TRADE around. Rev. coat of arms bisecting date 17 | 89, windlass above, ASSOCIATED IRISH MINERS ARMS around. Edge: PAYABLE IN LONDON, and engrailed – x – . A beautiful blue-toned Gem Brown example of this handsome and beautifully designed token (engraved by one of the Wyon family members, we believe), the sole finest Brown example so certified at PCGS (3/2021). The design is struck a tad off-center on the flan towards 6 o'clock on the obverse (ship) side, and correspondingly at 12 o'clock on the reverse (date) side. A small planchet flaw also occurs in that area, along with a couple of small digs on the reverse. Beautiful luster and a bold strike of this excellently sculptural design more than compensate, as does the delightful bluish patina developed over time. This design is not seen that often—certainly not in such excellent condition.
We couldn't resist including the closeup photo of the figurehead on the front of the ship. We're not sure exactly who it is, but any resemblance to Jiminy Cricket is purely coincidental!
Background: South Shields is an important port and coastal town in northeast England near Newcastle on Tyne and the mouth of the Tyne River. This piece pays tribute to the importation of Irish coal, which continues to this day.
U.S. orders only. PPGS, check, e-check. 7-day returns. Tax on orders to Virginia addresses.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 10:46AM

Great piece, and description, but… price?

LOL @ “Jiminy Cricket” comment. I reckon that’s a lion.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    edited February 22, 2022 10:38AM

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    edited February 22, 2022 10:56AM

@lordmarcovan said:
    Great piece, and description, but… price?

LOL @ “Jiminy Cricket” comment. I reckon that’s a lion.

Our seller here got offended by that comment, thinking I was quibbling over the price. And he would have been correct to feel offended, if that was what I was doing.

(See the 11th Commandment: “Thou Shalt Not take a public dump on another member’s BST listing.”)

Except I wasn’t. I meant “WHAT IS the price?” Because if it’s mentioned above, I overlooked it. It’s a nice piece, and I’m a former satisfied customer, having previously bought a Conder token (my one and only)… from @giorgio11.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 11:18AM

Well, this is my bad. I neglected to include the price above (actually it was there, but due to the formatting it didn't show up). I've added it now more clearly. So all is well in Conderland, and I and @lordmarcovan are still ... whatever we were before.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
    edited February 22, 2022 12:31PM

Good. We’re all good. ;)

(But don’t get me started on the formatting of these boards…) :s