Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Six 1971 “New Pence”, Are these collectible?

Osiris4884Osiris4884 Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited February 17, 2022 1:21PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• No. They're current circulation coins.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are "collectable", in terms of anyone wanting a date set of British decimal coins will want one. They are not valuable or highly sought after, as 1971 was the first year of issue and the mintage was sufficiently huge that very few 2 pence coins were needed to be minted for the next couple of years afterwards. Most people who want one, will already have one; 1971 is by far the easiest "new pence" type to find. Enough were put aside that finding an example in pristine condition isn't that hard to do. As John points out, you can find them in change in Britain today, though they are usually quite worn after 50 years in circulation. The alloy for 2p coins changed from bronze to plated steel back in the 1990s, so there's more than 2p worth of copper in these coins, but I don't think they are hoarded to the same extent that bronze cents are hoarded in America.

Personally, I'd pay 50 cents for the best one of the six here (which is probably the one at bottom centre), but mainly because I already have one in slightly worse condition that this and don't want to pay much for upgrades/duplicates. I see these coins are going for 1 to 10 bucks on eBay, with most around the $2 mark. Yeah, there's one scammer selling one for $3000. Hopefully no suckers take the bait. Pristine proof slabbed examples seem to sell for around $150; these are neither pristine nor proof.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now find the 1983 Two Pence with "NEW PENCE" and you have something!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

This one is the finest at the moment.

Very nice coin there. Though all, or nearly all, were released in non-PVC plastic "bubble" sets so generally they will go 67 or above when graded.

Here is my own that is still in the "OGP" from 1983, a bit of scratching on the plastic: