Home Sports Talk

Not a good look for Stafford...... WOW!

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2022 6:56PM in Sports Talk

Matthew Stafford Appears To Walk Away From Photographer Who Falls, Breaks Spine

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/matthew-stafford-photographer-fall_n_620e1885e4b0685128b2473b

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this earlier today. Watched it a few times trying to figure out if he really was that nonchalant about it.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

that was horrifically insensitive

not sure i could watch that again

edited February 17, 2022 6:43AM

@galaxy27 said:

I understand your point, but that was precisely why I watched it a few times. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I was looking for something else.

Edited to add: By something else, I mean something in Stafford's mannerisms to suggest that he was perhaps asking for help, etc. But I did not see anything ...

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was awful.

edited February 17, 2022 6:55AM

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

I understand your point, but that was precisely why I watched it a few times. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I was looking for something else.

my comment wasn't directed toward yours. we posted at roughly the same time.

your eyes did not deceive you. that woman could have fallen to her death and Stafford turned around and took a swig of water

edit: and he walked off

Here's the video, there's no excuse for what he did, what a jerk, he just lost a fan right here.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That was horrible!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez,talk about lack of compassion from Stafford. That stage looks to be a good 7-9 feet off the ground with no railing, this woman is going to get paid. Hopefully she recovers enough to enjoy it.

Sidenote: Seeing that fall made me think of this,Dave Grohl taking a nosedive off a stage during a Foo Fighters concert,breaking his leg then having a doctor holding his ankle in place while he finishes the show.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evjifIVxgRQ

I have seen people defending Stafford in different ways, saying things like ....
    As a person of wealth he has been taught to not be involved out of fear of litigation
    He knew that he was too drunk to help so he did the right thing by not interfering
    He knew that his wife was handling it

The obvious issue is that his reaction is non-existent. No compassion. No shock. Nothing.

@thisistheshow said:
    I have seen people defending Stafford in different ways, saying things like ....
    As a person of wealth he has been taught to not be involved out of fear of litigation
    He knew that he was too drunk to help so he did the right thing by not interfering

The obvious issue is that his reaction is non-existent. No compassion. No shock. Nothing.

That was one of the coldest things I've ever seen. If I see someone take a fall like that, I'm doing something to help.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 9:22AM

Doesn't look good

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible look

Gonna have to blame it on the booze

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited February 17, 2022 10:02AM

@Justacommeman said:
    Terrible look

Gonna have to blame it on the booze

m

It would take a hell of a lot of hooch to numb your brain that much.......that video has got my head spinning! Sweet Baby Jesus........WHOA!

I'm sure he's going to feel bad when he wakes up from the hangover and sees the video that has been plastered all over the globe.

@thisistheshow said:

This is true but a “reasonable compassionate response” will shield you from litigation. Like calling 911 immediately would have been ok or yelling for security. Something is better than nothing

edited February 17, 2022 10:55AM

Here's another angle of the video, and you can see Matthew Stafford's wife is concerned the entire time, I don't know where Matthew Stafford went.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr-J1vzPTCU

edited February 17, 2022 11:31AM

I don't know about his future prospects with regards to the Hall of Fame......but right now he looks to be a current member in good standing in the HALL OF SHAME.

This incident has been bothering me all day, I just don't understand it, I thought Matthew Stafford was a good guy.

And not only does Stafford turn and walk away, but he takes a sip of water like it's nothing, I'd like to cram that water bottle down his face!

O.k.,.....Maybe I'm wrong. Just looked at the second video......taken from a different angle...It looks like maybe he didn't see the lady fall...... too quick to judge on my part.......at this point......I don't know.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a look of oh crap and him extricating himself from the situation

Non-chalant isn’t it. It was more like “run!”

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

He could have been a hero, don't get many of those chances in life.

this unfortunate event is actually worse than what the video shows, and i'll tell you why. are you guys aware of what was going on? the Staffords had asked that woman to take a picture of them with Kelly Stafford's cell phone. she was doing them a favor. then she fell and cracked her spine. so not only was Matt completely heartless, but he was also a total coward because he left his wife there to handle the aftermath. i actually broke down and watched it again and he had this look of, "oh pop tarts, i'm outta here. honey, take care of it. i'm gonna turn around, take a sip of water and slowly walk off."

i've lost a ton of respect for that dude

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, first video looks like he was looking at her as she fell, second video looks like he didn't see her fall and when he turned his head she was no longer there. I guess to wait for him to be asked the question about it .................In the meantime, everything else is just an opinion.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Matthew Stafford saw her fall, just look at this photo.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be his wife screamed that she fell. Nobody knows for sure. The problem begins when he walked away nonchalantly from the scene drinking his water.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

I'm just anxious to hear him try to explain this, my prediction is he'll use the "I was drunk" excuse.

The Staffords and the Rams have commented on this situation, and they will be paying the hospital bills and replacing her cameras.

Rams, Staffords Release Statement On Photographer Injury

The Los Angeles Rams, along with the Staffords, say they will be covering the medical and equipment bills for injured photographer Kelly Smiley.

In a video that has gone viral, Smiley can be seen accidentally falling off stage at the Rams’ Super Bowl parade on Wednesday. She had been trying to photograph Matthew Stafford and his wife Kelly at the time.

Matthew Stafford was seen walking away in the immediate aftermath of Smiley’s fall, while Kelly appeared to walk toward the woman to see if she could help. The quarterback took some stern criticism for his reaction.

On Thursday, the Rams and Staffords released a statement saying they have been in contact with Smiley, who says she suffered a broken back and damaged her camera equipment in the fall. The team and the couple say they will help the young journalist financially.

“As we told Kelly, we will be covering all her hospital bills and replacing her cameras. We wish her a speedy recovery,” the statement reads.

The Rams and Staffords have released a joint statement saying they will be covering Kelly Smiley’s hospital bills and replacing her cameras after she fractured her spine.

After she was injured, Smiley’s friends created a GoFundMe to help pay for her medical bills and replace the broken equipment. The fundraiser, which had a set goal of $30,000, has raised over $41,000.

We’re happy to hear Smiley is on the mend, and good on the Rams and Staffords for chipping in here.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

Never was and now for sure, never will be a fan.
    disguising

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Of course, the paying of the hospital bills is just damage control, he showed his true colors with this incident, I am no longer a fan of his either.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heartless.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a horrible look for Stafford. I'm left scratching my head as this is so wildly out of character for him.

Maybe we just got a look at the non-famous Stamford character?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

You see a person's true character (or lack thereof) during occasions like this one. Pitiful.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

He just disappeared. Did not even return to survey the scene with his wife. Didn't he wonder what his wife was upset about? A hero one day, a villain the next.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

All I can say is wow!

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had that been Tom Brady he would have used his Infinity Guantlet to rewind the flow of time to just before the photographer fell off the stage to prevent her from getting hurt. ;)

• RobMRobM Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Stafford didn't react because he thought Cooper Kupp would catch her fall.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I'm going to think outside the box.

Is it possible that professional athletes have been drilled about not going above and beyond and potentially putting themselves in a vulnerable position? And this is the result of that reaction?

I'm just asking if that is a possibility because none of us really knows what "employee orientation" they have that differs from you & I in a typical workplace.

edited February 18, 2022 2:47PM

@VikingDude said:

Is it possible that professional athletes have been drilled about not going above and beyond and potentially putting themselves in a vulnerable position? And this is the result of that reaction?

I'm just asking if that is a possibility because none of us really knows what "employee orientation" they have that differs from you & I in a typical workplace.

kinda like Henry Ruggs? is driving in a residential area at a 156 clip while 2X+ the legal limit adhering to employee orientation?

seriously, let's not overthink this. for the love of all that is holy, just show us some human. the man's wife had a 12-hour surgery to remove a brain tumor, for crying out loud. if anyone should be able to exude compassion for the plight of a female, it's Matthew Stafford. yet his visceral reaction was to literally turn his back on her and act like it never happened.

i'm about all second chances and forgiveness, no matter who you are, but MS really put me to the test with this one.

Ruggs, too.

I saw the clip on tv

I read his lips “Oh My God”

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, his reaction to do basically nothing was way too fast for employee orientation.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now Cam Newton not diving for that fumble doesn't seem so important.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Now Cam Newton not diving for that fumble doesn't seem so important.

Oh, it was important, let us never forget.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG........... :#

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    edited February 19, 2022 9:08AM

I know a guy who jumped over a 15(?)) foot ledge into freezing water to save a little girl. He didnt give it a thought. Instinct. She was drowning. He's my best friend, since I was 4 years old. We were both 19 years old at the time. Most heroic thing I ever saw a man do. Zion National Park. His reward?......him and I both spent a night in jail.....no charges...just suspicions.....Hey, I wasn't there at the Rams party......but at this point this conversation is bordering on overkill.....and.....a bit of confirmation bias perhaps?...... let it go.

edited February 18, 2022 7:55PM

And there's a sports angle to my above post......my friend, my brother, played center ... He was a rock.....hey,....some guys do, some guys don't....... Not for me to judge.....

I was standing on my buddy's back porch last night, which is about the same height up as that stage is, and I was just imagining if a woman fell off of it right in front of me, and I couldn't imagine just turning around taking a sip of water and walking off like it didn't happen. I would have gone down there and tried to help, it's just who I am. What Stafford did was a heartless act, and there's no excusing it, I will be rooting against him for the rest of my life.

edited February 19, 2022 4:32AM

@VikingDude said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

This is true but a “reasonable compassionate response” will shield you from litigation. Like calling 911 immediately would have been ok or yelling for security. Something is better than nothing

Incase you missed my post earlier.

Zero excuse’s

I give people second chances and I’m not writing Stafford off but this is a tough one to forget

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats he gonna do for her broken back ? Is he a doctor or did he at least stay at a holiday inn express?