Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

86-87 Fleer set RAW

There are a few sets of raw (some in binders some not) of 86-87 fleer without Jordans on Ebay..
I have the Jordan sticker and card in bgs 8 and 8.5 so completing the set would be cool especially at a discount..
a few questions
1. what should I be concerned of when looking to buy the full set?
2. what type of $$ makes sense to spend..I checked comps but its kind of all over the place
3. 3. General thoughts on this are appreciated..

Thanks friends!

Comments

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I sold a nice NM or lower set without Jordan or any of the stickers for a little over $2k about a year ago. I am guessing the prices have since softened, but I do miss the set. I would focus on really good scans of the other key cards in the set. If the seller will not post them, i would steer clear.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was stating from scratch, I would buy raw commons in lots on ebay and graded centered stars anywhere in PSA 6 or 7. If you keep a look out you can score nice commons for $2 - 3 each. There's a lot of retouching of corners and edges out there which would scare me when buying the big names RAW.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

So given all these concerns, sounds like buying a raw set of anything is a bad idea. Unfortunate where our hobby has gotten to.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would find the right seller and buy the complete set less the Jordan as you generally will get a set where all the cards are of the same NM condition. You should be able to get it for about $2200w/o stickers - $2600 w/stickers which should be less than piecing it together given all the HOF rookies/stars in that set.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

There is a 86 Fleer Facebook group. Join that. My brother has found a lot of buyers and sellers there to help him get to 113/132+ 8/11 stickers PSA9 on that set over 18 months

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

@momo1234 said:
    So given all these concerns, sounds like buying a raw set of anything is a bad idea. Unfortunate where our hobby has gotten to.

You asked for concerns and 2 dudes posted concerns. When you look for the bad you're going to find it.

This isn't a rare set of cards. There is a lot of it out there. There are only a few guys in the set who might get faked or altered. Generally though, when you find these cards they're going to be just fine. Most of the cards in the set aren't worth sending in for grading. Raw is fine.

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

well said. I guess I will keep looking.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your set should match your graded stars. So you are looking for a true NM-MY set
    cards that will grade out similar. I am guess on most eBay sets listed as MT, the commons will be on the stars won’t.

So I’d suggest getting all the stars in 8s and then buying common lots to get you to end of job