Home Sports Talk

Is Derek Carr elite?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the Raiders are thinking about a contract extension, $40 million a year, would put him up there with Mahomes, Allen, and Prescott.

Raiders could break the bank to commit to Derek Carr

If the Las Vegas Raiders want to extend quarterback Derek Carr, who is in the final year of his contract, it could come with a very hefty cost.

The clock is officially ticking for Derek Carr and the Raiders to come to an agreement on a contract extension to keep him in Las Vegas.

The quarterback is in the final year of his deal in 2022 and could hit the free agent market in 2023 if the team doesn't lock him up.

The cost of doing so won't be cheap though.

"As it relates to Derek Carr and the @Raiders, the sense is no proposals have been exchanged yet on an extension," Vincent Bonsignore of The Las Vegas Review-Journal tweeted. "You'll see various numbers being thrown around, but, as I've been reporting, any extension would likely be in the $40m per season range."

"So, if it's a two-year deal at $40m per year, when you factor in the 2021 salary it would be three years, $100m," Bonsignore added.

The Raiders could double Derek Carr's salary with a contract extension
Carr is set to make just under $20 million this season, so what Bonsignore is suggesting would double his current salary.

The $40 million number would put him up with Dak Prescott and just behind Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen as the highest-paid quarterbacks in the game. He would leap in front of Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers with that figure.

Then again, Carr is currently making less than a lot of quarterbacks he should be ahead of when it comes to salary. Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Tannehill, Carson Wentz, Kirk Cousins and Jared Goff all outpace him.

The Raiders have to weigh if he's worth it.

On one hand, he's a generally reliable starting quarterback who can provide stability for the franchise. He ranked fifth in passing yards in 2021.

On the other hand, he was 14th in QBR with a TD-INT ratio of 23-14. If he hasn't proven himself among the elite passers in the NFL, should Las Vegas pay him like one?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to be careful about getting too close with Raiders owner Mark Davis, he has an effect on people, he got Jon Gruden.

edited February 16, 2022 4:13AM

And he'll get you too Derek Carr!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even close to being elite

Yes, and Derek Carr has had many a hair styles over the years, one of my favorites was the Home Alone.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's like a Baker Mayfield. You want him to be elite but it's just not happening. Not really close

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

My favorite was the dreads, rumor has it, he has ties to Jamaica mon!

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

Raider fan back to G Blanda as the regular QB.
    No way and not ever.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    He's like a Baker Mayfield. You want him to be elite but it's just not happening. Not really close

m

Kind of the perfect explanation 👍🏼👍🏼

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Carr was on his way to being elite the year he got hurt but now he's just above average.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    I think Carr was on his way to being elite the year he got hurt but now he's just above average.

I remember thinking that as well.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    [He's like a Baker Mayfield. You want him to be elite but it's just not happening. ]

Although right now, comparing the 2 teams offensive players, I feel Carr would have easily taken the Browns to the playoffs this last year. (I know, Bakers shoulder injury may have been the problem)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@Justacommeman said:
    [He's like a Baker Mayfield. You want him to be elite but it's just not happening. ]

Although right now, comparing the 2 teams offensive players, I feel Carr would have easily taken the Browns to the playoffs this last year. (I know, Bakers shoulder injury may have been the problem)

Keenum would have taken the Browns to the playoffs, he was 2-0 when he got the chance to play and he does well in the Stefanski system - don't for get his >70 QBR with vikes the one year he got the chance to play on a decent team with Stef system. Carr, well, no. Mayfield? Browns need to move on from him.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...