Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This 1976 Topps Hank Aaron looks overgraded.

I think this card should have been maybe a 6? How did it get an 8?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393926835868

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

Wow!

Based on what I've seen over the past 2 years, I'd expect a 4-6?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 1:53PM

That looks more like a 3 to me!

Also, The seller of this card "Sundiegocollectibles", was affiliated with the infamous "When it was a Game", that was involved in the "WIWAG" scandle several years ago pertaining to fake PSA holders. Information is in the link below.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369218

Steve

• Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

This is disturbing.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Oh lord.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Omg that is way off.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch...that corner hurts!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure hope that's a mechanical error.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 8:25PM

I do wonder if eBay's / CSG will identify fraud like this? My guess is no poptart-ing way. I do also wonder if when Authentication for Slabs takes effect for graded cards will peddlers of these type of wares simply lower price from $319 to $249.50

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

They actually have many 1976 cards that look damaged on the corners, but graded an 8

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

I don't believe so.

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:

@grote15 said:

I don't believe so.

Yes, but if this Aaron was "worked on," it sure wasnt a good job! Got to be a mechanical error.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2022 10:58PM

@mtcards said:
    They actually have many 1976 cards that look damaged on the corners, but graded an 8

This card is not even close to NM-MT 8. The PD alone should limit it to a 7 even if it were razor sharp.

• Options
    WalkinDudeWalkinDude Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I believe every card is looked at by 2 graders to ensure an accurate grade.

Patrick

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Says a lot about the hobby when collectors will pay 8 money for cards that are 6’s in 8 slabs. The WIWAG scheme only works if buyers ignore the card and buy the slab

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Either a massive error, or outright fraud.

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    That looks more like a 3 to me!

Also, The seller of this card "Sundiegocollectibles", was affiliated with the infamous "When it was a Game", that was involved in the "WIWAG" scandle several years ago pertaining to fake PSA holders. Information is in the link below.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369218

Steve

I'm no expert but that's what I was thinking.
    Wouldn't give 8 money for that if my life depended on it.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 8:51AM

Deleted

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the damage is on the holder? just to be a contrarian.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@WalkinDude said:
    I believe every card is looked at by 2 graders to ensure an accurate grade.

Aren't you just the comedian.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 10:53AM

@grote15 said:

@ArtVandelay said:

@grote15 said:

I don't believe so.

Yes, but if this Aaron was "worked on," it sure wasnt a good job! Got to be a mechanical error.

I'm seconding or thirding mechanical error.
    edit: for Christs sake I've got 2's, 4's and 5's that look better :D

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 1:51PM

I've owned several 7's that are way nicer. The card below fits Tim's comments about PSA 7 with PD to a 'T'.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone makes errors from time to time. It's how well those errors are rectified.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

What exactly is a mechanical error? Machines tend to do what they're told to do. User error is a thing. Mechanical error would be, like, if the machine broke and the card got stuck in some gears or something.

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 4:35PM

Perhaps the grader (hand) wrote a "3" that the data entry person misread to be an "8." With those corner bends and PD, that card looks like a "3" to me.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats new brail program they are rolling out......

• Options
    StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

No doubt a "Pre-Pandemic" Slab.

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• Options

@mtcards said:

This card is not even close to NM-MT 8. > @CardGeek said:

What exactly is a mechanical error? Machines tend to do what they're told to do. User error is a thing. Mechanical error would be, like, if the machine broke and the card got stuck in some gears or something.

The term "mechanical error" is when the grade printed on the flip is not the grade assigned to it by the grader, not to be taken literally.

• Options
    edited February 16, 2022 10:04PM

As I pointed out in my post earlier, the seller of this '76 Aaron was also involved with a company "When it was a Game", who defrauded collectors.

Here's what they did:

1. They sent in cards to PSA for grading.
    2. When they got the cards back, they would crack open the slabs, and replace the good cards with lower-condition cards.
    3. Then, they sold these lower-condition cards, in the slabs for the higher-graded ones.
    4. Then, they still had the good cards. They could then sent them into PSA for re-grading and run the scheme all over again.

I believe this is what they did with this '76 Aaron.

They were really good at it; it took a while for them to be caught, and it was a huge scandal at the time.

The problem is, the cards and slabs from their scheme are still out there in large numbers.

Steve

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    As I pointed out in my post earlier, the seller of this '76 Aaron was also involved with a company "When it was a Game", who defrauded collectors.

Here's what they did:

1. They sent in cards to PSA for grading.
    2. When they got the cards back, they would crack open the slabs, and replace the good cards with lower-condition cards.
    3. Then, they sold these lower-condition cards, in the slabs for the higher-graded ones.
    4. Then, they still had the good cards. They could then sent them into PSA for re-grading and run the scheme all over again.

I believe this is what they did with this '76 Aaron.

They were really good at it; it took a while for them to be caught, and it was a huge scandal at the time.

The problem is, the cards and slabs from their scheme are still out there in large numbers.

Steve

This Aaron though was very recently graded with the new Lighthouse holder.

• Options

The new slabs don't lend themselves to being cracked and resealed. The early generation holders could be cracked, intact, and glued back together without gross signs of the work done to them. The new slabs chip apart when you crack them. In fact, the only way I've been able to crack and resub cards is by busting off a corner and then prying apart the rest of the holder. Has anyone successfully cracked a new generation holder and extracted the card while maintaining the integrity of the top and bottom halves of the slab? I'd be amazed if you have. It takes skill just to remove the card without damaging it.

• Options
    edited February 16, 2022 10:46PM

@gemint said:
    The new slabs don't lend themselves to being cracked and resealed. The early generation holders could be cracked, intact, and glued back together without gross signs of the work done to them. The new slabs chip apart when you crack them. In fact, the only way I've been able to crack and resub cards is by busting off a corner and then prying apart the rest of the holder. Has anyone successfully cracked a new generation holder and extracted the card while maintaining the integrity of the top and bottom halves of the slab? I'd be amazed if you have. It takes skill just to remove the card without damaging it.

Agreed. I dont think he realized this card was very recently graded and in a newer holder. My money is still on mechanical error.

• Options

Thank you grote15 and gemint for that clarification.

I have problems keeping all the PSA slab generations straight. So yeah, that '76 Aaron does look like a probable mechanical error.

It just re-emphasizes the importance of "buying the card, and not the holder"!

Steve

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful accuracy for mechanical devices are usually determined by the operator, if humanly operated.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Successful accuracy for mechanical devices are usually determined by the operator, if humanly operated.

One of my pet peeves is the phrase "mechanical error". If the human operator made an error, then own it. I cringe every time I hear the excuse "mechanical error"

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grading of the above Aaron PSA 8 goes beyond a "bad day of grading".......

• Options

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    The grading of the above Aaron PSA 8 goes beyond a "bad day of grading".......

Yes. That's why mechanical error is most likely. I remember a 1968 Bob Gibson making the rounds on eBay about 20 years ago that was labeled 'MINT 7'. Certainly a mechanical error. That's also what likely happened with the beater 1956 Willie Mays that was labeled 'GEM MINT 10' instead of 'PR 1'.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2022 12:05PM

Here’s an odd case study. We probably all remember seeing a really off center 1972 Johnny Bench graded PSA 9 making the rounds a few years ago. As it turns out from examining surrounding cert numbers, almost 50 1972 Bench cards were submitted at the same time years ago. There were over 20 PSA 9s, and several ridiculously OC Cards that got straight 9 grades. Probably more than several. Unfortunately I can only find images of a few. One of them has already been corrected to EX 5.