Home Sports Talk
Options

The Tom Brady rumor thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if you've been paying attention to the Tom Brady rumor mill lately, but there are a lot of interesting theories floating around out there and these rumors continue to swirl daily, it really is fascinating. In this thread, we will follow the latest rumors on Tom Brady.

Comments

• Options

Here's an interesting story, it appears that Joe Montana doesn't think Tom Brady is done with playing yet.

Joe Montana Talks Tom Brady's Retirement: 'I Don't Think It's Done Yet'

Add Joe Montana to the list of people who aren't buying into Tom Brady's retirement.

The Pro Football Hall of Famer told TMZ Sports he doesn't think Brady is truly ready to hang up his cleats yet.

"Look at the team he's got, why would you want to leave that?" Montana said. "I don't think it's done yet. I don't think that's over with."

With Brady under center this past season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the NFC South with a 13-4 record and were the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs. Their quest to repeat as Super Bowl champions ended on Jan. 23 with a 30-27 loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the NFC divisional round.

They do have several key players set to become free agents this offseason, including wide receiver Chris Godwin, but most of the roster should be back in 2022.

Brady announced in an Instagram post on Feb. 1 that he was retiring after 22 seasons in the NFL.

Less than two weeks since that statement, speculation about Brady's future is already running rampant.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapaport reported Sunday that the Buccaneers are "leaving the door open" for Brady if he wants to return, and Brady hasn't completely ruled it out.

Based on his performance this season, Brady can still play at a high level. He led the NFL with 5,316 passing yards and 43 touchdowns to finish second in MVP voting behind Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

The Bucs will presumably want a resolution before the new league year starts on March 16 so they can properly plan if they need to find a new quarterback.

• Options

Here's another one, Rob Gronkowski thinks Tom Brady is going to take a couple of years off then return.

Rob Gronkowski Thinks 'Beast' Tom Brady Will Return to NFL 'in a Couple of Years'

Rob Gronkowski doesn't think Tom Brady's NFL career is over.

Speaking to USA Today's Josh Peter, Gronkowski explained he thinks Brady will take a couple of years off to recharge before coming back.

"The guy can play at any age," Gronkowski said. "If he’s 50 years old, he can still come back. I think he’s going to come back but in a couple of years. The guy’s a beast. He can play anytime."

Brady announced his retirement after 22 seasons in the NFL on Feb. 1.

Speaking on his Let's Go podcast (h/t Jim Reineking of USA Today) this week, Brady seemed content with his decision even while not closing the door on changing his mind at some point:

"I try to make the best possible decision I can in the moment, which I did this last week. And, again, I think it's not looking to reverse course—I'm definitely not looking to do that—but in the same time, I think you have to be realistic that you never know what challenges there are gonna be in life. Again, I loved playing. I'm looking forward to doing things other than playing. That's as honest as I can be."

Brady and Gronkowski spoke about him possibly playing until 50 in a video posted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in September:

After the Bucs' playoff loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the NFC divisional round, Brady said his family would play a big role in his decision about retirement.

"As I’ve gotten older I think the best part is, football is extremely important in my life, and it means a lot to me, and I care about what we’re trying to accomplish as a team, and my teammates," Brady said on his podcast (h/t Ryan Glasspiegel of the New York Post). "The biggest difference now that I’m older is I have kids now, and I care about them a lot as well.”

On the same episode, Brady also said "it pains" his wife, Gisele Bundchen, to see him get hit during games.

There was no indication from Brady's performance this season that his skill set was diminishing at 44 years old. He finished second in MVP voting after leading the NFL in completions (485), attempts (719), passing yards (5,316) and touchdown passes (43).

Brady led the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl title in his first season with the team in 2020. They won the NFC South with a 13-4 record this season.

Few players know Brady better than Gronkowski. They have been teammates for 11 seasons between the Buccaneers and New England Patriots. Gronkowski may have some inside information the rest of the world isn't privy to.

For now, though, it seem Brady is going to enjoy retirement and perhaps consider his options at a later date.

• Options

This is a wild theory, maybe Tom Brady wants to play for the 49ers.

Insider Floats Blockbuster Tom Brady Trade for Buccaneers

Tom Brady was barely retired before the comeback rumors already started.

Not everyone is buying the idea that Tom Brady is fully retired as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers continue to mull replacement options this offseason. The Athletic’s Mike Sando reported there is some belief around the league that Brady “retired” as part of a plan to orchestrate a trade.

Where would Brady want to be traded if he were to continue playing? Sando suggests that Brady would still love to play for the 49ers, who just so happen to have a quarterback they are looking to deal. Brady is technically under contract with the Bucs for another season and would need either a trade or his release to play for another team in 2022.

“Brady might not have been willing to force a trade from the Buccaneers to the 49ers, which could have gotten messy and affected his legacy in a negative way, while straining relationships in Tampa that he surely values very much,” Sando explained.

“By retiring, Brady has gracefully told the Buccaneers he will not play for them again. Tampa Bay has less reason to play hardball with Brady when there’s no chance he will play for them. By leaving open the door to play again, Brady is in position to accept a trade if one can be worked out. He never has to be the bad guy. He doesn’t really have to do anything.”

NFL Exec on Brady’s Retirement: ‘I Do Think It Was a Good Strategy for Him’

Sando is not the first person to suggest some version of this Brady trade to the 49ers, but it notable that there is some buzz around the NFL that the quarterback is using his retirement as a way to keep his future options option. One NFL executive agreed with Sando’s theory on Brady.

“That makes a lot of sense,” the NFL exec told Sando, “and I do think it was a good strategy for him to do this in two pieces to say, ‘I’m retiring,’ and then a few days later say, ‘Well, I never say never, but I don’t ever anticipate playing again.'”

Would the Bucs Consider a Trade for Jimmy G?

Ideally, the Buccaneers’ preference would be for Brady to play in Tampa if he is going to suit up in 2022. Chances are Brady is serious about his retirement decision, but the legendary quarterback left the door open to a potential comeback which has prompted this sort of speculation.

For all the potential of hurt feelings, being able to use Brady as a trade chip would be more useful for the Buccaneers than his outright retirement. Would the Buccaneers consider a trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?

“San Francisco is expected to work with Garoppolo to find an agreeable destination as the 49ers transition toward 2021 first-round pick Trey Lance … or Brady?” Sando added. “Garoppolo and Brady have the same agent, which could be convenient if Brady wants to play for the 49ers and there’s a way to make it happen.”

The 49ers Passed on Signing Brady in 2020

The Niners passed on Brady when he was a free agent in 2020, per Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. Chances are they would love a do-over, and Sando is not the only one to float a Brady to San Francisco trade. Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio suggested something similar even before Brady announced his retirement.

“We don’t know the truth about this because Brady would never admit to it,” Florio detailed on January 24. “Given the current gap between the Rams and Buccaneers, however, it’s hard not to wonder whether Brady, if he continues to play, will want to roll another set of loaded dice?

“Where would that be? Well, his first choice two years ago was San Francisco. (They passed.) How about a year for Brady, as Trey Lance continues to develop? Lance would get to watch and learn from the best ever for a year. And the 49ers, a final-four team despite having a quarterback who isn’t even in the top 20, could add Brady to a highly-talented roster and a brilliant coaching staff (his former teammate, Wes Welker, works there) and finally get their sixth Super Bowl win.”

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 1:28PM

I heard Brady was hanging out with this fella. Not sure what it means. Can't be good

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I heard Brady was hanging out with this fella. Not sure what it means. Can't be good

I don't know where you heard that rumor, but it's just not true. He is actually a telemarketer now, he's goes by the name of Gary.

• Options

You wouldn't believe the Tom Brady rumors flaoting around lately, Mike Florio thinks Tom Brady wants to play for the 49ers in 2022, more to come.

• Options

As promised, Mike Florio claims he received an email, an email about Tom Brady. 🤔

Mike Florio thinks Tom Brady will be Week 1 QB for 49ers

On Thursday's edition of "PFT Live," Mike Florio read an email that he received, before predicting that Brady will come out of retirement to play for the San Francisco 49ers in 2022.

"...[I] got a great email. I don't know that the person wants his name to be shared, but it's explaining what's going on with Tom Brady. [It's a] classic mid-life crisis; Step 1, a divorce from the Patriots; Step 2, a short-term relationship with a trophy girl [like the] Buccaneers; Step 3, a late-night text to the high school sweetheart, a.k.a the 49ers.

"I'm telling you, it's unavoidable. He's not gonna lower himself to have to dirty himself the way Aaron Rodgers is. He's gonna work it all behind the scenes. I just ... I think he's gonna be with the 49ers Week 1 [of the 2022 season]. I'm rooting for that so badly."

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2022 9:06AM

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard Arians and Brady were NOT getting along since he wasn’t allowing Brady to be on a long leash

• Options

Yes, apparently Bruce Arians was undermining the work that Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady were putting in, and the relationship was rocky. I will be monitoring the latest rumors about Tom on a daily basis, I'm curious about what he's really up to. If I had it my way, he would return to the Patriots and never retire and play forever, muhahaha!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2022 9:09AM

Just came across this awesome Tom Brady video and didn't want to start a new thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKOr7OQvSU

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Just came across this awesome Tom Brady video and didn't want to start a new thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKOr7OQvSU

That is awesome! 😂😂