Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Britain price guide books

CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
edited February 14, 2022 8:37PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Most US collectors for the most part use the Red Book as a price guide, and for info.

Seems like Canadian collectors use the Charlton.

What do British collectors use? what's the goto I guess.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 14, 2022 8:38PM

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spink is probably the most available reference- just be aware that there are grading differences across the pond. I am not certain that Coincraft is still published- my last Coincraft is probably from around 2000 or 1999.

The biggest challenge is varieties- There seems to be varieties that fly under the radar with some being significant and others less so. The Churchill Crown DDR which often goes unnoticed and the 1951 Crown which seems to have afew different reverse varieties come to mind as coins the modernists should be seeking out. However there is minimal -if any- information these.

I suspect the Spink Calalog sells for $50-$65- it is not cheap, but it is helpful with basic information- especially with Victorian Pennies. The newer Spink catalogs have the Obverse and Reverse dies pictured and price estimates for various known die pairings

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 5:23AM
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spink is a starting point and IMO better at what it does that the Redbook for USA coins. Coincraft came out in '99 and 2000 and then sadly passed away - IMO still a good guide as far as rarity and some good info therein.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

"There seems to be varieties that fly under the radar with some being significant and others less so. The Churchill Crown DDR which often goes unnoticed and the 1951 Crown which seems to have afew different reverse varieties come to mind as coins the modernists should be seeking out. However there is minimal -if any- information these."

that's too bad.

i like the physical books, but that website is just fine. thanks a bunch B)

btw here's one just like it for canadian coins - https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

Collector Coins Great Britain is a good little pricing paperback book. I use it at shows - easy to carry. I use Spink as well - going to the Kindle version more these days.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

Why would anyone collect British coins ??? ;)

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Double yeti sighting. :p

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MacCrimmon said:
    Why would anyone collect British coins ??? ;)

Or any coins at all!?! Madness, I tell you.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

British modern coin is pretty good looking. I like them