Home Sports Talk

Burrow talks big, can he now play big? No...........

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

From an ESPN article below. IMO, he should have added a couple other currents (Allen and Herbert) to the group that is pursuing GOAT and Mahomes (I am anti cowboy so can't mention him here by name). I suggest that b4 a Superbowl he be more humble. Aaron Donald must be chomping at the bit.

Here is how Burrow compared this year (below). His numbers are very good, but IMO, not elite. In QBR, he was 12th. There is one glaring issue in his stats that clearly holds him back - his sack total is way up there compared to the top 6 in QBR. For comparison, his QBR at 54.2 is about the same as Marcus Mariota in 2017 and 2018 (too many sacks as well) and many would consider that mediocre, certainly the Titans did and released him for another QB. I think that is going to be a problem going into this SB and as I noted in another thread, I predict he will get sacked at least 4 times and be forced in to early career mistakes that lead to 2 interceptions - that RAMS defense is going to have a good day. Keep in mind that his Rating was 2nd this year but that does not factor in sacks enough.

But judging from these stats, he is no Mahomes, no Herbert, or no Allen. Stafford however is, and does not get the sacks as much. This is going to be the difference in the game.

Now is Burrow in the future going to be elite? He will have to reduce his sack total yet keep everything else at least at the level he is at now. We will see. But it looks like Herbert is ahead of him. Certainly Mahomes is and Allen is (longer in the league). But his lack of humility b4 the game is going to get the RAMS defense salivating and young QB's in a big game like that, probably not good. Bit mistake IMO.

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2022 7:31PM

I mean if stats is Burrows only measuring stick for greatness then I guess Rodgers is his Huckleberry.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2022 8:51PM

Throw the stats out the window - Mahomes, Herbert, and Allen need tickets to get into the Super Bowl this year - Burrow doesn't! :)

EDIT: I do agree about the rams D though :#

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were Burrow, Brady is the only guy I would be chasing.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2022 10:01AM

Reminds me a little of Joe Namath's prediction of a Jets victory over the Colts in the 1969 Super Bowl........it turned out o.k. for Joe. Nothing wrong with self-confidence.

Don't ask why. I'm still in the learning phase with my computer skills.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Reminds me a little of Joe Namath's prediction of a Jets victory over the Colts in the 1969 Super Bowl........it turned out o.k. for Joe. Nothing wrong with self-confidence.

Sure a 1 hit wonder, got lucky, then nothing for the rest of his career. Better to be humble in your early career says I.

edited February 12, 2022 5:10PM

@spacehayduke said:

@Hydrant said:

Sure a 1 hit wonder, got lucky, then nothing for the rest of his career. Better to be humble in your early career says I.

He was a very good QB for a few years..... HE DID NOT GET LUCKY. Most importantly though, he is the man most responsible for bringing the American Football League, now the AFC, up to par with the National Football League, now the NFC. Before the 1969 Super Bowl, the American Football League was considered as basically minor league. A joke. Because of him the leagues merged.....The Baltimore Colts, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers were taken out of the National Football League and put into the American Football League. THAT WAS BIG NEWS AT THE TIME.....That is when the NFL became the league that we have today. Joe Namath was the first pro football SUPER STAR. He was THE national story in 1969! He had the most profound influence on the American public of any player before or since.......He put PRO football front and center in the American publics mind. Things haven't been the same since.

P.S. Frank Gifford was also very instrumental in making PRO football what it is today........ The thing that Gifford and Namath had in common?........ Playing in New York....... and.......THE WOMEN LOVED THOSE TWO GUYS!!!!!!! 😍

edited February 12, 2022 5:27PM

Joe Namath made the Super Bowl what it is today.....A NATIONAL EVENT!......before the Jets victory over the Colts in 1969.......the Super Bowl was no big deal. Believe it or not. It's true.

@Hydrant said:
    Joe Namath made the Super Bowl what it is today.....A NATIONAL EVENT!......before the Jets victory over the Colts in 1969.......the Super Bowl was no big deal. Believe it or not. It's true.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Burrow is part of the new generation and their attitude rubs me the wrong way. Not all of them but a lot. Burrow is amazing, and by all accounts works hard. But he is a little "flashy" for my taste. Humbleness is no longer in vogue with a lot of these guys. They need to be super confident, but I think it's best to keep that hidden a bit. Still, he has worked very hard, and he is in the SB his second year. I have heard him talk about Brady, but I think he is referring to Rodgers because Brady retired. Everyone in the league knows Brady is the best ever. Most SB wins, best stats, best leader, best throwing motion, most consistent, best availability. If not for the suspension, his availability would have been ever better. And he even tried to not miss the season he missed. The week after his injury, he was trying to come back, taking five step drops and throwing. But he was shut down.

I love his swag but I can see why it would rub others the wrong way

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

"Success in sports" is like many other endeavors in life: If you think you can, then you just might be able to. If you think you can't, then you'll surely fail.

• But judging from these stats, he is no Mahomes, no Herbert, or no Allen. Stafford however is, and does not get the sacks as much. This is going to be the difference in the game.

So why was Stafford so lousy before this season? Because a QB is only as good as the players around him. He's better this season because he's on a much better team. He stills throws WAY to many INTs and that will probably be his downfall today.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:

But judging from these stats, he is no Mahomes, no Herbert, or no Allen. Stafford however is, and does not get the sacks as much. This is going to be the difference in the game.

So why was Stafford so lousy before this season? Because a QB is only as good as the players around him. He's better this season because he's on a much better team. He stills throws WAY to many INTs and that will probably be his downfall today.

Very well could be. Not a Stafford fan at all. His stats in Detroit were inflated. When you play from behind constantly you tend to get lots of passing yardage trying to catch up. I've seen this a million times. He is far from great.

@MisterTim1962 said:

Stafford was never lousy before this season. Very good player on a really bad team. This season he pretty much threw the same amount of INTS as Herbert, Allen, Burrows but had more passing TDs and only Herbert threw for more yards

m

Check out this video of Matthew Stafford, heart and guts.

• Stafford was never lousy before this season. Very good player on a really bad team.

Sorry, I disagree. Lifetime, he's thrown 323 TDs and has 161 INTs. A 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio is horrible. And as another poster mentioned, he's thrown for a lot of yards because he was always behind in games, which requires you to pass a lot at the end of the game.

Trust me, I've lost a lot of money betting on this guy over the years. He always seems to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the end of games. Poor decision making and bonehead INTs kill him.

No one any tougher then Matthew Stafford DD

m

edited February 13, 2022 3:53PM

@MisterTim1962 said:

Stafford was never lousy before this season. Very good player on a really bad team.

Sorry, I disagree. Lifetime, he's thrown 323 TDs and has 161 INTs. A 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio is horrible. And as another poster mentioned, he's thrown for a lot of yards because he was always behind in games, which requires you to pass a lot at the end of the game.

Trust me, I've lost a lot of money betting on this guy over the years. He always seems to find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at the end of games. Poor decision making and bonehead INTs kill him.

You're allowed to disagree. I'm just not buying what you are selling. He lead the NFL in TD% this year. As you stated when you're on a good team it matters. He's on a very good team and he's played very well. His Lions stats are skewed both ways. He has lots of passing yards because of playing from behind. He also threw a lot of picks from having to play from behind and from being on lousy teams without the aid of EVER having a running game during his tenure . It cuts both ways. You can't only have it one way. Same could be said about all his game winning come from behind 4th quarter drives. He's got a ton of them. Of course you can't get credit for them unless you are behind BUT you also can't get credit for them unless you lead the comeback.

Betting on the Lions is usually as fools errand. Can't hold that against him

If he wins today he probably punches his ticket to the HOF whether you like it or not.

FWIW Montana had a similar TD to INT rate as Stafford. And Favre and Marino had a much worse rate then Stafford

m

4th quarter comebacks

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2022 3:31PM

Stafford has always been an outstanding QB. He finally has talent around him now. The fact that the Lions even made the playoffs three times during his tenure there is a remarkable feat in its own right.

Rodgers is the poser child for regular season excellence and failure in the postseason (the one Super Bowl championship notwithstanding). Rodgers once again is watching the Super Bowl from home and Burrow is playing it it. Should the Bengals upset the Rams tonight, he's already matched Rodgers for championships with 26 regular season starts under his belt. What he has done to help turn around the Bengals franchise is nothing short of amazing. Maybe Rodgers can find a new girlfriend to provide comfort, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Rodgers reminds me of Harden, all big reg season stats, chokes in playoffs, whines about it. Only difference is Harden act gets used up quickly and he moves to another team. GB can't figure it out..............

The Rams are in the tunnel, they're coming out........

@doubledragon said:
    Check out this video of Matthew Stafford, heart and guts.

Stafford is a dude that was an amazing vid. More reason to root for Rams.

Burrow just came out on the field w/o his helmet on to make a point (rest of Bengals and all Rams were helmeted at least in the camera). More reason to root against the Bengals, let's see if this cocky young qb can walk the walk. I am guessing not but you never know.

As I said in another thread. Rams 31, Bengals 17, Donald 4 sacks, Burrow 2 ints.

• Stafford already has two INTs. I rest my case...

Cooper and Aaron, fugetta bout it

I was wrong about stats here, 7 Burrow sacks and only 2 by Donald............... Otherwise Burrow played pretty good, he is going to have to avoid sacks int he future tho'.

• Bogus holding call bails out the Rams. Corruption runs deep in all sports...

edited February 13, 2022 8:05PM

Matt Stafford is a man. That game winning drive was epic. None better. Couldn't be happier for him.

m

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Bogus holding call bails out the Rams. Corruption runs deep in all sports...

Yikes here we go............

They missed a pass interference on the Bengals about the 3rd play back, so it goes both ways.

In the end the Bengals O Line couldn't keep the Rams off of Burrow

m

• Matt Stafford is a man.

Strange comment, to say the least...

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Stafford already has two INTs. I rest my case...

And a Super Bowl ring with a legendary game winning TD drive..you are inaccurate quite frequently

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Thanks to three penalties against the Bengals in the red zone...

edited February 13, 2022 8:24PM

@MisterTim1962 said:

Matt Stafford is a man.

Strange comment, to say the least...

Troll on

m

• And a Super Bowl ring with a legendary game winning TD drive..you are inaccurate quite frequently

Nothing inaccurate about my comment. He did throw two INTs and will always be an average QB because of that flaw.

edited February 13, 2022 8:31PM

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Thanks to three penalties against the Bengals in the red zone...

WHY????? .....BECAUSE HOLDING PENALTIES AGAINST COOPER KUPP IN THE RED ZONE WAS THE BENGALS LAST AND ONLY HOPE! THAT'S ALL THEY COULD DO!!!......GET REAL!.....THE BENGALS LOST BECAUSE COOPER KUPP IS UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!

• Take it easy, Hydrant! No need to yell. Nice and easy, no sudden movements! Lol!

• Troll on

Reported. Feel free to disagree, but watch the troll comments. Not allowed here.

edited February 13, 2022 8:38PM

@MisterTim1962 said:

Troll on

Reported. Feel free to disagree, but watch the troll comments. Not allowed here.

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Bogus holding call bails out the Rams. Corruption runs deep in all sports...

Good for you. In typical fashion don't like the results claim conspiracy. Priceless.

mark

@MisterTim1962 said:

And a Super Bowl ring with a legendary game winning TD drive..you are inaccurate quite frequently

Nothing inaccurate about my comment. He did throw two INTs and will always be an average QB because of that flaw.

The first one was meaningless as it essentially served same (or even better than) a punt. The second one was deflected by the receiver and not on him. You must not watch football very often.

• You must not watch football very often.

I've watched almost every Patriots game since the late 1970's. Not trying to argue how much effect they had on the game, just pointing out that he does throw way too many INTs.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched Stafford every play at UGA and whenever I could catch a Lions game to pay attention to. Stellar player for the entire career so far, very much deserved this ring. Scoff his stats...scoff Brees and tell me otherwise...or pick another one...

edited February 14, 2022 12:08AM

Pre game outfits. I don't think they shop at the same store

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stafford does have a tendency to throw picks. But he is an amazing QB. I have mentioned here before that I always heard from scouts/insiders that he was considered an elite QB languishing with a terrible franchise.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's so hard to get to a SB..... I think Burrow will see another SB ... but if I was wrong I wouldn't be surprised either....

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    It's so hard to get to a SB..... I think Burrow will see another SB ... but if I was wrong I wouldn't be surprised either....

Sure but he needs to be a bit more humble about himself (dressing and mouthing), until/if he wins one. Oh, and learn how to avoid drive killing sacks. Since Deshaun Watson left the league, Burrow has burrowed himself deepest in sacks for a starting qb..........

Year 1 - 32 sacks in 10 starts/played games - 3.2 per
    Year 2 - 51 sacks in 16 starts/played games - 3.19 per modest improvement LOL

Year 2 SB - 7 sacks, ouch.

If his improvement rate continues like that over the years, he will be mired in the middle of the qb pack as he is now and the Bengals will have a hard time making it to, and winning an SB KC, Chargers, Buffalo will be better teams. Also, now they won't get as good of talent in the draft to bolster the lineup as they did when they were bad, and Cincy is not a desirable free agent destination. So they will have to see more improvement from Burrow if they are to compete for the AFC championship.

• Hopefully, Burrow will appreciate that slice of humble pie that was served to him yesterday and grow up a little bit. Maybe learn how to throw the ball away and not take seven sacks would also be a good lesson to learn.

I was surprised he couldn't drive them into FG range to try and tie the game. 1:25 left and two time outs

m

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I was surprised he couldn't drive them into FG range to try and tie the game. 1:25 left and two time outs

m

Same here.

It’s standard procedure in the NFL for a team in that situation to tie it up

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Pre game outfits. I don't think they shop at the same store

Reminds me of Johnny B. Good