Home Sports Talk
Options

Retired NFL numbers

VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

My kids asked if I knew which numbers are retired for our favorite team (Vikings). So I had to look it up; I guessed mostly right. But looking at the other teams I was shocked looking at the number that some teams have retired. Some have way fewer than I would have thought (Steelers only have 2) and some have way more (Chiefs with 10). Anything else surprises anyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_retired_numbers

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cowboys do not retire numbers but there are a few which will never be issued again.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2022 9:31PM

Well, the main reason you don't see NFL teams retiring the numbers of their worthy players, is the NFL policy of each position falling within a specific range of numbers.

So, with the Steelers for example, if they were to retire the numbers of all their all-time defensive greats, they'd have no numbers available for at the least, any of their linebackers and linemen.

This all means that a player really has to be truly transcendent, to have their number retired in the NFL.

Steve

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be blasphemy if New England ever issues a #12 to anyone ever again

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    The Cowboys do not retire numbers but there are a few which will never be issued again.

So they are, in effect, retired numbers?

• Options

@VikingDude said:

@LandrysFedora said:

So they are, in effect, retired numbers?

Unofficially I guess, but between Drew Pearson and Michael Irvin I never thought 88 would be worn again in Dallas but it is now. Numbers are in the ring of honor but not "officially" retired so to speak. I guess anything is possible

• Options

@perkdog said:
    It will be blasphemy if New England ever issues a #12 to anyone ever again

Unless Tom comes back.