Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mercury Dime Short Set - Hello PCGS

labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2022 3:58PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

I'm intending to build a Mercury Dime Short Set, 1940 - 1945. I was disappointed to see that our host does not offer a Registry Set in Non-Full Band within the Speciallty Set category, i.e.: Circulation Strikes, like they do with Roosevelt Dimes.

Maybe it's time?

Thoughts anyone?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Don't sweat it, build the set you want to build FB or not. It's an amazing coin!

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised that they don't. It would make a nice set of a beautiful coin, without breaking the bank.

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Mercury Dimes! My favorite coin growing up. In the fifty's and sixties you could still get them often in change. Me being born in 1946, I just missed the Merc's. Wish I had known about the 1932 quarters back then.

Dan
  • Options

@Dan50 said:
    Mercury Dimes! My favorite coin growing up. In the fifty's and sixties you could still get them often in change. Me being born in 1946, I just missed the Merc's. Wish I had known about the 1932 quarters back then.

Mine as well, along with the Buffalo Nickel. I remember poring through everyone's change in grade school, and the lady behind the cafeteria cash register would let me see and exchange coins.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Here's the first coin to start the set:

1945-S MS67+

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:

1945-S MS67+

Not a bad start!! ❤️ It looks wet with all that luster.

• Options

@robec said:

@lablover said:

1945-S MS67+

Not a bad start!! ❤️ It looks wet with all that luster.

Just wish I could do images as well as you. Guess one can always aspire to greatness!!! If you see/hear of any MS67+'s available let me know.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    I'm intending to build a Mercury Dime Short Set, 1940 - 1945. I was disappointed to see that our host does not offer a Registry Set in Non-Full Band within the Speciallty Set category, i.e.: Circulation Strikes, like they do with Roosevelt Dimes

I like the idea. In my mind one of our most beautiful 20th century coins. And a set that in high grade wouldn't break the bank.

• Options

Lablover I have a 42/S But I've held onto it hoping to find out if it's an inverted S or not. I'v looked at photos on PCGS but still can't make up my mind.

Dan
  • Options

Oh it is a 67+ coin.

Dan
  • Options

I thought about sending it in for PCGS to tell me. But I don't want to loose the Cag sticker on it

Dan
  • Options

@Dan50 said:
    I thought about sending it in for PCGS to tell me. But I don't want to loose the Cag sticker on it

They should be able to tell without cracking the coin. Let me know should you decide to turn it loose.

• Options

Thanks my friend. If inverted S it should jump in value by quite a bit.

Dan
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2022 7:58PM

Another addition to the set, 1945 NGC MS67+ (I hope she crosses)

• Options

Ok the guy I talked to at PCGS said he didn't think it was an inverted coin. Listen, he said they would have said so when graded. My guess is they are probably so busy grading coins, they don't take time to look at such small small details. If it works out for you, that's fine. Do you still want the coin?

Dan
  • Options

Inverted coin, I meant inverted S.

Dan
  • Options

I'll send you a PM, so check your Inbox.

• Options

I have a box?

Dan
  • Options

I have a bow, I have a box!!!

Dan
  • Options

I have a BOW?

Dan
  • Options

In the upper right of this message screen, you'll see your Avatar, name, a globe and a box. It should be highlighted with a #1. Click on the inbox to open.

• Options

If that does not work, we can use email. Mine is: james.r.green52@gmail.com

• Options

Saw your message via the Message Wall and replied.

• Options

@lablover said:
    I'll send you a PM, so check your Inbox.

I hope you received my reply.?

• Options

As for PCGS not having a place for coins without FB, I think they should. There are A ton of Merc's out there that are breath taking. (Of course that's just my opinion!!!)

Dan
  • Options

The coin coming is almost FB. Check it out, it dosn't even know it's not FB.

Dan
  • Options

@Dan50 said:
    The coin coming is almost FB. Check it out, it dosn't even know it's not FB.

Dan,
    Coin received, but I hate to say it's not FB. The center bands are mostly closed except for the outside edges. But still a nice MS67+. Which, I thank you for!