Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

76 T1 for $320?

Can't seem to post the pic

Last nights teletrade auction
PCGS MS 65
1976 T1---$320

Some people are crazy for the slab grade,I guess.
When I first looked at it, I wondered when they started Lunar farming.

Comments

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Unless the coin looks terrible, the prices seems OK. Would rather pay about $250, but $320 doesn't seem out of line.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I must be missing something-I thought pieces little better than this
    were going for about $150-$170.

edit: Just looked on PCGS guide lists it as $260(witch is still too much IMHO)
  • Options
    I don't know the current pricing, but it is a tough coin in PCGS 65!

Greg
  • Options
    My last three i put on auction in April, May, and June respectively- only got from $88.00 to $112.00
    which i thought was to cheap image for these! I think the price on T.T. was quite high for this coin.
    that was more in line as far as market price with the 1972-p ms 65!! the 1972-p being a scarcer coinimage I sure hope the 76-p ms 65 i have on eBay does near as goodimage
    cladmaker
  • Options
    [L=that 76 T1]http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=1595&lot=1723&imagetype=j[/L

Hopefully that links to yhe picture
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    The coin is actually nicer than it appears in the image. Here is a link that works 1976 T1 PCGS 65 Ike The graders are being especially tough grading Ike dollars, for about a year now. If you don't believe me just give it a try! I agree the price realized seems a bit steep (and the coin could be returned), but the graders are creating a short supply by grading so strictly. When I sent the coin in to be graded I was prepared to crack it out and try again if it didn't receive at least a 65. image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have one up on Ebay.AlText
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I just bid on grips cause I like those pictures. Side by side and up close. A+

Sean
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

If it is a high end 65, definitely it is worth $320. With today's PCGS standard to grade Ike dollars, I really doubt that there will be any new MS66 image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    I recently got a 76D type 1 MS65 for less than $40 on Teletrade, but I guess the D mint must be quite a bit easier to get in this grade.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Having seen the TT picture, I now agree that $320 is probably too high. I like Grip's better. Though I have a couple, I put up a $101 bid and was immediately outbid. Bet this one goes for well over $200.

Monstavet - The D mint is easier, but under $40 is a great deal.

Greg
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    I just looked at the coin briefly a few minutes ago...a pretty middle of the road 65...not PQ or anything. It works for my type set! WOuld like to upgrade it at some point down the road. But the price was right.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    I paid the $320 by the coin, assuming the same position of JCPING. Will be a surprise news 66's.
    Be sure that have others with the same idea, because in each of my bids someone covered imediately.
    PCGS shows $260 for this coin and not be a surprise it will be increase soon
    Let's see the price in Ebay. Actually I have the high bid with $151 but we will have more 4 days in front.
    In my point of view the same situation will be occur with 1971 and 1972.

Edson
  • Options
    Drizzt

Ooops! I almost forgot. I'm not crazy. $320 is small money to test a theory.
    You need see my husband face when I bought 3 bottles of Petrus 1982 in a French Site Auction, and said that was a good investment.............
    In the other hand, I bought a 1974 Kennedy PR70 in E-Bay for $1.9 K and yesterday in Teletrade the same coin goes up to $4 K and the auction was considered not realized, problaby by owner request. Some days you hunt and in others you shoot the dog.

Edson
  • Options
    I'm still hoping it was just two collectors trying for
    the last coin for their set.

I know, I know. Just let me have my delusions.
  • Options
    Edson,

Good point! Sometimes prices seem to be all over the board. Collectors will pay what they feel it's worth to them. Occassionally they don't always use good sense, but that's part of the game!
    Chris

Pura Vida!
  • Options
    Chris,

You are absolutely right. The common sense said to leave the money in the Bank. But, what hell we do with the passion?
    When I do something like that is exactly the same felling of order a good wine.
    Edson
  • Options
    Hey Chris and Edson - you may have noticed that same 1974 Kennedy several other times on Teletrade. There is a person that puts a number of high-grade/low pop modern coins on Teletrade and sets a ridiculous buyback $ on them in order to drive the prices up. It's been going on for at least several years. Interesting little game but I'm sure it must be paying off! image
    ahhhh....... SODO MELVIN?????
  • Options
    What do you think about this one? Check the date of the auction. Has the grading become more strict? 1976-P Type 1 PCGS 65 Ikeimage
  • Options
    MisterR,
    you are so right with the example of the 1999 T.T. ms 66 IKE auction.
    Most of the older holdered ms 66 or even ms 67 Ikes graded 2 or 3 years ago and before would not stand up to the strict grading today!!! I certainly would not crack out one of them and send it in raw.
    I have experienced coins that used to grade ms 65 and ms 66 now coming back ms 64 and ms 65 image
    This is probably a good thing by not loading the pop's up to much in the higher grades!! and keeping more stability to the market price of Ike's.

cladmaker

My 1976-p pcgs ms 65 IKE
  • Options

After I saw the TT (Auction 1252 • Lot 1869 • Monday, December 27, 1999) 1976 T-1 MS66 PCGS Ike dollar, I feel much better now since thought I am not very happy with mine, mine is 100 times better than the TT one. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand these are being made quick enough to meet the demand.
    It is the 71-P's and the 72-P's that I believe will always remain difficult to locate in true GEM MS65, no matter how hard Dealers and Collectors hunt them down.

peacockcoins

• Options

This is what I consider nice 76-P Type one MS66 Ike dollar.

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=1223&lot=1541&imagetype=j
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.Link.Al1976MS66 T-1
  • Options
    Here's the original thread.
    Still think 320 is too much.
  • Options
    I knew $320.00 was too much.
    Just got one for $150.00.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am almost sure it is the same one.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Most likely--Gotta see in person, probably next Monday.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was lot 1835, it is. The seller was listing it again on the B-S-T forum.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    You are right dbldie55, same coin now at a more reasonable price. Should stay sold this time. Congrats drizzt.image
  • Options
    Yup-1835

We'll see how it matches with the rest of the set first MR