Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is this PVC?

bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Just received a couple raw coins. Both came in flips a 1921 D merc and a 1924 S Buffalo. Both low grade circulated coins for a circulated typeset. When they arrived I thought the flips looked like soft plastic and when I inspected them more closely saw a clear imprint of the mercury dime on the flip itself. The Buffalo not so much just a circle where the coin had been in contact with the flip. Is this indeed where the soft plastic has begun degrading or is this just an imprint. To me it looks like PVC residue but I would like a second opinion before contacting the dealer I bought them from.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

See if you can show any film on the coins by taking pics of the at a slight angle with a bit of bright light.

The rims should feel metal smooth and not like there is a film on them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

They absolutely feel like they have something on them. Tacky feeling.

• Options

Though I do not see anything when held at an angle.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that is PVC plasticizer residue. I give ALL my raw coins a short acetone soak before putting them in an album or Mylar Safe Flip

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Well, tacky is not a good sign

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Tacky is indeed a bad sign I agree. So at this stage I can't see any dry PVC. Is just using the acetone method of soaking them for 24 hours several times a relatively safe fool-proof method or should I just return them? I'm not opposed to learning how to remove PVC safely from coins since it seems a valuable collecting asset. But learning to do so on key date coins seems like asking for trouble, even low grade ones. Is there a possibility that there's already been some permanent damage done?

• Options

You should be able to see if the hydrochloric acid from the decomposition of the plasticizer has damaged the surfaces. I usually soak mine for an hour or so, and then rinse/swish in fresh acetone.

The trick is to remove the the residue as soon as possible. Don't put them in your album until you do. Coins and HCl are not a good mix. If you can't see any visible damage/corrosion, I would keep and treat them. But there is nothing wrong with returning them.

• Options

Thanks to the folks who replied. I ended up contacting the dealer. They said to use an acetone bath so thats what I did. Their policy on their website said I would need to pay shipping, insurance as well as a restocking fee. Go figure they would respond again a day later offering a free refund. Its an unfortunate learning experience for myself in buying raw coins and I won't be going back to said dealer. Again thanks for the responses. I'll post before and after pics of the coins when I finish a 3 part soak.

• Options

Dont know if anyone is still following this thread... here are the sellers photos. The coins had a patina that I liked. Realizing it was just dirt. I think the acetone removed both the residue and the made the coins look sort of dull. Like clean circulated coins. Unfortunately not at all what I wanted for my album

![](https://us.v-
    cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/bm/l6lz89zolmx0.jpg "")

This has been a super disappointing experience. The seller originally said to put them in acetone. Thats what I did. 24 hours later they offer a full refund. Im upset that wasn't what they offered originally. They explicitly told me the should have not sent the coins in that condition in email AFTER telling me to clean their coins.

• Options

Using acetone to remove PVC residue isn't considered detrimental cleaning. The residue must be removed or the coin will be permanently damaged

Acetone is a solvent and will not remove toning or other chemically adhered surface components. It only removes surface dirt and crud. No abrasive or chemical removal of the metal, so no surface damage.

BTW: I like the way the coins came out. I think they are much more desirable after the soak.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that a long soak in acetone will dissolve greasy dirt and film and the resulting coin will be brighter, which is a good thing. No rubbing! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    BTW: I like the way the coins came out. I think they are much more desirable after the soak.

Thanks. Admittedly I was maybe a slight bit heated when I posted the update. Personally I have grown to really like grungy old coins as of late. I realize I am likely in the minority of collectors but hey that's okay. This has been a learning experience for myself in more ways than one and thats also okay. Hearing that these are more desirable with the grunge gone makes me feel a little bit better. Now I know how to remove PVC on raw coins as well as dirt and grit and know what to expect.

Again thanks for replying.

• Options

Yeah well acetone will take that circulation dirt off

Next time a seller suggests an acetone bath on a dirty coin, pass.

The next coin with the next soak will turn out just the same.

Don’t worry blame the seller about the suggestion as it is unusual to have someone object to a soak.