Home Q & A Forum
Options

Ever experience this with a dealer?

MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I experienced something that I’ve kind of experienced before but not in such a blatant way.

So I was coming back from a doctor’s appointment at the VA and decided to stop at a coin shop along the way that I had never been too before.

I walked in and everything was fine. The shop was a bit bare (low inventory) but the owner was friendly enough.

Anyway he asked what I was interested in and I told him “ancients and pre-WW2 American” and he showed me some stuff he had.

BUT unfortunately he just didn’t have anything I wanted.

He actually got irritable with me and asked why I wasted his time!

I had no intentions of wasting his time. I was totally prepared to pay a fair price for anything he had if I was interested but he just didn’t have much and nothing he had was anything I wanted.

Has anyone experienced this before? Sometimes I feel hesitant to go back to a shop if I didn’t buy something there last time I visited.

I wish there were more friendly dealers who said something like:

“I’m sorry we couldn’t make a deal but please feel free to come back in the future!”

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never.

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

A perfect example of why people respond with "just looking". They seller feels that if they help you that you owe them something. It's the wrong attitude IMO. Perhaps the business is failing and/or he takes great pride in his stock. Human interaction can be a funny thing. I avoid contact until I've had coffee.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ask him how long he's been divorced? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't let in get to me, even it would be hard for to forget. I presume he was having a bad day and maybe you ended up being his target at that moment in time. I have had problems with businesses that treated me like that, and I just refuse to patronize them again. Sounds like his is having a tough time with his business too. Just think twice about going back there again. Sounds like you are dealing with it correctly. After all, just leaving the VA after a visit can raise your blood pressure off the charts. Good luck from a VN Vet. B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    m4832m4832 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

At the latest PAN show near Pittsburgh PA., just after arriving, a dealer yelled and swore accusing me of photographing his coins. I was on my phone looking up a variety he had that I was interested in. I showed him that I was not taking pictures and his reply to me was to leave his table, he didn't need my money.
    That put me in a bad mood for a while.

• Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@m4832 said:
    At the latest PAN show near Pittsburgh PA., just after arriving, a dealer yelled and swore accusing me of photographing his coins. I was on my phone looking up a variety he had that I was interested in. I showed him that I was not taking pictures and his reply to me was to leave his table, he didn't need my money.
    That put me in a bad mood for a while.

Wait I don’t get it what’s wrong with photographing coins?