Home Sports Talk

Baseball season in jeopardy??

ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems negotiations are at a standstill and pundits on MLB network are "weighing in" on the apparent lack of urgency to get the MLB season off on time
~~~Don't we all get a smidgeon of a vicarious thrill when these folks choke on their money? MLB cares less about fans now with huge TV money ~ that is a fact... the fan has gotten a far duller game~ almost unwatchable depending on your team but damn near league wide, higher prices at every turn of a game experience, and a commissioner who is willing to throw all integrity out of the sport for the almighty dollar.... doctored balls, 7 guys on the right side of an infield, pushing fences back 30 feet from one year to the next..... NOTHING is sacred.... traditions in MLB are blown thru like stoplights in Vegas. MLB knows all the downfalls of the way they operate but figuratively and literally they are still too lazy to bunt.

Comments

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's at least a hint of urgency as MLB has asked federal mediators to assist with negotiations. That'll likely have little impact, however.

Of the big four sports in the US, I do think baseball is the one that cares the least about on-field product quality as it relates to the fan experience. The NFL has changes a bunch of rules to increase offense, protect quarterbacks, and reduce kill shot hits. That all (generally) increases the fan experience. The NHL implemented a bunch of changes to increase offense and introduced 3-on-3 OT and shootouts. All have been well-received. The NBA got rid of extreme defenses and opened up the game.

MLB? They implemented automatic intentional walks. And then...nothing. We get ridiculous shifts that significantly limit what hitters can do. We get pitchers who are afraid to throw the next pitch and hitters who are afraid to see it, resulting in 10-minute ABs. The pace of play is brutal. A gigantic portion of the game is taken up by 3 outcome (strikeout, walk, homer) ABs. Every team plays exactly the same with an overreliance on home runs. It all ends up in a product that is less visually interesting than it used to be.

It took a major shutdown by the NHL for it to recognize that significant change was needed. Maybe that's what MLB needs.

All of that is to say I don't care if the season shuts down. I love baseball but I won't miss it if it's not there this summer.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^
    Well said

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't impact my life one way or the other. I'm at a stage in my life where sitting on my ass watching baseball night after night after night is just a total waste of the time I have left. Once in a while is ok.

In April we're going on a 12-day Eastern Caribbean cruise. In June we're flying into Salt Lake City to go on a 10 day road trip to Montana and Idaho. In September we're flying to Rome to go on a 12-day Greek Islands cruise. We stay pretty active.
    More plans in the making.

If you are able, have the funds and the time...TRAVEL, SEE THE WORLD !! My philosophy is...you earned it, you spend it!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bunch of crap changes since the lockdown that hurt the game, if it takes some time off to reverse that shit and get it back...i'm all for a break, not a long one , but seriously, bunch of whiney BS bickering with this shit.

edited February 3, 2022 8:11PM

MLB games will be shortened only when advertising dollars dry up otherwise there is no real incentive. The longer the games the more dough.

The NFL couldn't make the games longer for Ad dollars so instead they added one game.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Musician Billy Preston said it best in his song: "Will It Go Round In Circles".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Can honestly say have only sat through a handful of TV games in the last 10 years or so. Most of us don't mind sitting through a NFL game for 3 1/2 hours, but in the case of a baseball tilt at the same length, no bueno. Found that odd until it dawned on me, the action for each sport is different. Hence you really don't realize the time factor in football. Hockey and Bskt always have movement/action. Sometimes in baseball the only "action" is a pitching change. When younger did not mind a few of those BB games that went 18-20 innings. One I recall was a Mets vs. Cardinals tilt in 1974, sat through all 25 innings.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care because my small market team loses close to, or 100 games almost every year lol.

Baseball has no major popular stars.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Won't impact my life one way or the other. I'm at a stage in my life where sitting on my ass watching baseball night after night after night is just a total waste of the time I have left. Once in a while is ok.

In April we're going on a 12-day Eastern Caribbean cruise. In June we're flying into Salt Lake City to go on a 10 day road trip to Montana and Idaho. In September we're flying to Rome to go on a 12-day Greek Islands cruise. We stay pretty active.
    More plans in the making.

If you are able, have the funds and the time...TRAVEL, SEE THE WORLD !! My philosophy is...you earned it, you spend it!

Make sure to stay safe with all that momentum going on.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

MLB? They implemented automatic intentional walks. And then...nothing. We get ridiculous shifts that significantly limit what hitters can do. We get pitchers who are afraid to throw the next pitch and hitters who are afraid to see it, resulting in 10-minute ABs. The pace of play is brutal. A gigantic portion of the game is taken up by 3 outcome (strikeout, walk, homer) ABs. Every team plays exactly the same with an overreliance on home runs. It all ends up in a product that is less visually interesting than it used to be.

I wouldn't say starting extra innings with a runner on second is "Nothing".

@daltex said:

@Tabe said:

I wouldn't say starting extra innings with a runner on second is "Nothing".

Eh. 1 game in 25 goes into extras. This rule is nothing.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m fine with the season shutting down as long as the players don’t get paid during the shutdown.

And keep the gov out of it, they have enough on their plates as it is

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

baseball is getting hard to watch. especially during the playoffs. every batter steps out of the box between pitches, every pitcher checks every runner 10 times and then steps off the rubber 5 times an at bat.

i love baseball, but it gets tedious.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭

The game definitely needs to be changed somewhat from where it is now.
    A few of my suggestions are listed below.
    Pitchers need a clock and hitters need to stay in the box.
    Infielders need to return to playing the positions and stop moving around for better fielding advantages.
    Home plate umpires need to use robotic ball and strikes.
    Both leagues need to either have dh's or not for uniformity.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    The game definitely needs to be changed somewhat from where it is now.
    A few of my suggestions are listed below.
    Pitchers need a clock and hitters need to stay in the box.
    Infielders need to return to playing the positions and stop moving around for better fielding advantages.
    Home plate umpires need to use robotic ball and strikes.
    Both leagues need to either have dh's or not for uniformity.

HERETIC!

Also, I agree with every single one of your suggestions.

• When my Verizon bundle went up to $200 a month, I dumped all the sports channels. Can't watch more than a few Red Sox games a season now, so no big deal if they don't play.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:
    When my Verizon bundle went up to $200 a month, I dumped all the sports channels. Can't watch more than a few Red Sox games a season now, so no big deal if they don't play.

same with us. we cut the cable and went with youtube tv. they don't carry NESN so it is radio and box scores for me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Th only reason I don't drop direct tv is I can not be without the Red Sox to watch and I live in Albuquerque so radio is not an option

@MisterTim1962 said:
    When my Verizon bundle went up to $200 a month, I dumped all the sports channels. Can't watch more than a few Red Sox games a season now, so no big deal if they don't play.

I get MLB.TV with T-Mobile. Otherwise, I'd be stuck with just ESPN and Mariners' games.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Th only reason I don't drop direct tv is I can not be without the Red Sox to watch and I live in Albuquerque so radio is not an option

You might look into satellite radio.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, one improvement has already been announced today:

Joe West announced his retirement! :smiley:

Steve

About time!

Both sides should be very careful. A repeat of 94-95 would be a disaster for the game going forward

m

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2022 3:42PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Both sides should be very careful. A repeat of 94-95 would be a disaster for the game going forward

m

we would never hear from countdouglas.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

we would never hear from countdouglas.

🦇 😎

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the hitters would just trust in velcro the games would be a half hour shorter.
    Lorenzo Cain.......................... those batting gloves aren't coming off after every pitch, no need to
    adjust them. The velcro is doing its job just fine now you get in the damn box and do your job.

Lorenzo's name could be replaced by probably 85% of major league hitters.

^Chuck Knoblauch and I believe Nomar Garciaparra were notorious for the glove adjustment.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Hargroves routine between pitches took about 5 minutes.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I catch a few games a year and it is mostly playoffs. The game really needs a change and I don't have a good solution. Game is is too darn long.