Home Sports Talk

Paid To Lose?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2022 9:36AM in Sports Talk

Two former NFL coaches , Hue Jackson/Browns, and Brian Flores/Dolphins, are claiming that they were paid to lose games. If there's any merit to it.....WOW! I don't know any of the details but I'm pretty sure of one thing........ Our old friend keets must be furious...... maybe he was on to something..... starting to look that way........sounds like it to me......

Comments

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Pay Hue Jackson for the Browns to lose? That's like paying me to take a dive in a fight with Mike Tyson.

I'm not quite understanding your comment, Brick. Maybe after a another cup of coffee my brain will be functioning better. But what about Flores? All I can say is I hope none of it is true.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

very interesting. is this part of the Flores lawsuit? if so, I sure cant wait for discovery

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Don't be surprised if a similar story comes out about another Florida team...Whoa Nelly!.....Say it ain't so Joe!

This thing could snowball. Its damage control time. Not good.

edited February 2, 2022 10:12AM

@craig44 said:
    very interesting. is this part of the Flores lawsuit? if so, I sure cant wait for discovery

I think so...if it is then the situation is all about bitter people after money with lawyers involved. What could be worse?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is part of the lawsuit if I heard the news right this morning.

Now, Q, if you bet money on the Dolphins/Browns in one of those loser games...you get beef with the sports books?

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@Brick said:
    Pay Hue Jackson for the Browns to lose? That's like paying me to take a dive in a fight with Mike Tyson.

I'm not quite understanding your comment, Brick. Maybe after a another cup of coffee my brain will be functioning better. But what about Flores? All I can say is I hope none of it is true.

@Hydrant The joke is... Why pay for the inevitable?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2022 11:34AM

paid to lose? where my money at?

-- m. nagy

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

paid to lose or play to your "potential". Very bad teams are probably going to lose anyway. I can understand ownership not being bothered by losing another game, but I would think they would rather win as the draft is still no sure thing.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Yes, it's in his lawsuit.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two sources close to former Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson said Wednesday that Jackson has made arrangements to speak with Flores’ attorneys about the suit as early as Wednesday. The sources also said Jackson has expressed a willingness to provide testimony and materials to Flores' lawsuit, alleging that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam financially incentivized “tanking” for better draft position through the use of a bonus structure during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, when Cleveland went 1-31.

Some of the materials in Jackson’s possession stem from a confidential fraud grievance he brought against the Browns following his in-season firing in 2018. That grievance was handled by an arbitrator under the terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement. That arbitrator ultimately ruled against Jackson, although the judgment was not considered a definitive determination of fact.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If true, both owners need to be forced out by the league immediately.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 10:29PM

@DrBuster said:

Now, Q, if you bet money on the Dolphins/Browns in one of those loser games...you get beef with the sports books?

These incidents won't derail the gambling train.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@DrBuster said:

I don’t think it affected NBA betting after that ref was caught for his part in fixing games

• MjwagsMjwags Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Jackson has since semi-retracted those statements. He wasn't directly paid to lose but there were "guidelines" set in place that would lead to the construction of a losing team.
    The Haslam's wanted a very young team for the first 2 years Hue was there. They pushed the front office to trade down in the draft and build capital for the third and fourth year. They were trying to free up cap space and gather a ton of draft picks.
    While these things may lead to losing seasons he was never directly told to or rewarded for tanking.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mjwags said:
    Jackson has since semi-retracted those statements. He wasn't directly paid to lose but there were "guidelines" set in place that would lead to the construction of a losing team.
    The Haslam's wanted a very young team for the first 2 years Hue was there. They pushed the front office to trade down in the draft and build capital for the third and fourth year. They were trying to free up cap space and gather a ton of draft picks.
    While these things may lead to losing seasons he was never directly told to or rewarded for tanking.

Yeah, Jackson realized he'd lied and couldn't back it up so now he's backtracking. He basically said he was getting paid bonuses for losing in past comments and now he's backing off.

Cleveland ownership has trashed him, saying he never took responsibility for anything from his tenure in Cleveland.

Jackson sounds like a clown trying to find excuses for why he went 3-36-1 as coach of the Browns.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    If true, both owners need to be forced out by the league immediately.

They need to be suspended while this is under investigation, and if there is any truth to the allegations then they should get a lifetime ban. And how sad is it if Flores was fired for winning too many games?

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

Of course they were paid to lose, the #1 way to build a winning team is to get a franchise QB in the draft. If your team is going to suck anyway, you should win as few games as possible.

That said, we are seeing more and more franchise/star QBs taken later in the 1st round so I don't think getting the 1st or 2nd pick is as important as it used to be. Having the right system/fit for the QB seems to be more important for them to live up to their potential.

Robb

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@DrBuster said:

I don’t think it affected NBA betting after that ref was caught for his part in fixing games

Same goes for horse racing,tennis etc.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once the results are fixed, or teams start tanking games, the entire credibility of the sport is ruined. That's why Pete Rose still isnt in the HOF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.