Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball Is The Best Game

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

My passion is NFL Football. That does not blind me to the fact that baseball, when it is played to the ultimate extent of what the games potential is....is the best game ever invented!!!!! I don't expect any comments...... So be it.

Comments

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Each sport has a quality of its own. If I want a hour and and half of excitement I would go for the 4th quarter of the last 4 NFL games - minus the commercials. PS -I played all three sports in high school. Football was the most painful, and Basketball was the most Althetic. Baseball was the most skilled sport IMHO.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

What makes baseball so unique is no 2 games are alike. Within each game there are endless scenarios possible and there's always a chance you'll see something you've never witnessed before. So many variables. Every game is a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

• Options
    edited January 31, 2022 8:27PM

I agree Landry..... ENDLESS SCENARIOS....... on every pitch. A fun game for kids on the playground.... and......a thinking man's game all wrapped up in one.......ENDLESS SCENARIOS..... you nailed it!!!!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to think the same.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL is my favorite but I respect people that like baseball better, it’s just a matter of opinion or personal choice, same can be said about any sport.

I can tell you this much, it’s definitely tough to beat a close score playoff game in baseball though, especially a 1 run game in the bottom of the 9th.

NFL is still #1 in my opinion though

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

Baseball is it for me too. Yankees Red Sox are tops.
    Nascar is 2nd.
    Football is 3rd.

• Options
    edited February 1, 2022 8:57AM

@Justacommeman said:

m

Me too.....the point I was trying to make is that baseball is the best game when played to it's potential. Which is not so much anymore, if at all. I don't bother with MLB. Not even the World Series. Don't recognize the game. I also personally know a couple of ex- major leaguers who feel the same and no longer follow the game. It's sad.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like football the best, but I love a good boxing match, the thrill of two gladiators going to all out war with eachother. I fell in love with boxing after watching Hagler vs Hearns, a fight that left Hearns having to be carried away.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only pro sports team I root for is the Mets. That said, I can watch any NFL game and enjoy it greatly. The idea of watching a regular season baseball game not involving the Mets is a horrific prospect. Postseason baseball involving the team you root for is fantastic. Beyond that, the NFL is the most enjoyable.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Baseball Is The Best Game"

Only when the Giants win and the Dodgers don't ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Me too.....the point I was trying to make is that baseball is the best game when played to it's potential. Which is not so much anymore, if at all. I don't bother with MLB. Not even the World Series. Don't recognize the game. I also personally know a couple of ex- major leaguers who feel the same and no longer follow the game. It's sad.

Id rather watch Pickle Ball these days

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason a couple weeks ago one of the sports stations was showing game 6 (I believe) of the
    1971 world series, Pirates against Orioles. Palmer was pitching and he would get the ball back from the
    catcher and fire a pitch just as soon as the batter was ready. Same thing with the Pirates pitcher.
    Now I was 7 years old in 1971 and watched those games on TV with my Dad and brothers and knew
    over the years that the pitchers were taking longer and longer to throw a pitch but the difference is startling.

Its a joy to watch a game from that era even though the quality of the picture isn't as good as now,
    but the quality of the baseball sure was great. Entertaining games when the pitcher doesn't hold the ball forever.

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 7:34PM

I've always loved baseball, but can no longer stay awake to watch it. Pitchers stare at their catchers for 15 seconds in between pitches now. Batters constantly call timeout if the pitcher takes too long. Batter hams it up for the camera before entering the batter's box. Pulls on gloves, grabs crotch a couple of times, pushes helmet down on his head, spits some sunflower seeds and then digs a hole in the batter's box to plant his feet. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

For some reason a couple weeks ago one of the sports stations was showing game 6 (I believe) of the

1971 world series, Pirates against Orioles. Palmer was pitching and he would get the ball back from the
    catcher and fire a pitch just as soon as the batter was ready. Same thing with the Pirates pitcher.

Same for the batters back then. They practically ran around the bases after hitting a home run. Now they jog slower than my grandpa jogs, point to the sky (to God or their late mother?) and then stop at the plate to rub it in a little more.

Here's a clip of Roberto Clemente hitting a HR in the 1971 All-Star game. He's practically running around the bases and to the dugout. Some men just have class and don't feel the need to show up the pitcher...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8mEXgqenvNg