Home Autographs Forum

Abraham Lincoln printed document?

I recently acquired from an auction a land title document from 1862. I realize the signature at the end is done by secretary Stoddard. However, the remainder of the document appears to be filled out by President Abraham Lincoln himself. I have compared other verified Lincoln letters, and many of the words and alphabets are identical. There are 64 words in the document I believe were hand printed/written by Lincoln. Not a copy - ink on paper and presidential seal.
Please help to confirm my suspicion and whether this sort of document has any value/significance if the final signature is not his.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, that is not Lincoln's handwriting.

• I agree the handriting is not his signature, but what about the printing in the remainder of the document?

None of it is his.

Besides, if he wasn't going to sign the document, why would he take the time as president during the Civil War to fill in details on a routine document? ;)

• Just a little rebuttle if I may to give some possibility/chance this could have happened. Searching the chronology of Abraham Lincoln, he attended a Jan.1, 1862 New Year's gathering at the Whitehouse - this coincides with the signing date and location (Washington, D.C.) of this document. He was present at the precise day and location. Why would he personally do this for someone? The land title was for a John Doster - searching history records shows that John Doster became a politician in his county of which this document mentions. So possibly a favor or extra consideration for someone he may already have had a connection with? And finally, the Lincoln's lost there middle child to illness just one month later - with a severely ill child he may have been spending more available time close to home.

Sure, Lincoln filled out all the mundane details himself but stopped when it came time to sign it. And he used a style of handwriting that was not his. :#

You clearly want to believe it's real so there is no sense in discussing it further.

I would encourage you to have it professionally authenticated. It will cost you a few hundred dollars or more, but it will be worth a few thousand dollars when your suspicions are validated.

• Most document like that are copies and the real document are in a museum