Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Probstein selling previously graded card that’s now in a top loader with panini sticker

I’m not sure if Probstein has responded to this, but:

Anyone have a backstory latest news on this?

Comments

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

How do we even get Donovan Mitchell on that auto ?!
    Geezz..

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

What's the scandal? I'd assume a crack-and-sub gone awry? Maybe PSA thought trimmed, etc.?

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 3:12PM

@voxels123 said:
    What's the scandal? I'd assume a crack-and-sub gone awry? Maybe PSA thought trimmed, etc.?

If it's back in a sealed Panini holder that would be the scandal? No?

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Interesting that the EBay listing photo doesn’t show the top of the panini label on the slab,
    Smells 🐟🐟

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 5:08PM

@jimrad said:
    Interesting that the EBay listing photo doesn’t show the top of the panini label on the slab,
    Smells 🐟🐟

Probably because the seal is broken.... The listing doesn't advertise it as sealed. The listing only advertises the card. Of course if the buyer thought it was sealed, then probably could get a return through eBay.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 5:44PM

Why is this probsteins problem? Is it there job to authenticate?

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

Can somebody please dumb this down for me?

What's the issue? Are people postulating that this was in a retail/sealed Panini pack and is therefore fraudulent because it was at one time graded by BGS?

Otherwise, it seems like schoolgirl drama and, as I suggested, a case of crack-and-sub gone awry...........

Most conspiracy theories are, merely, theories and conspiratorial.

??

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

This issue is that the auction implies the Panini seal is not broken since it isn’t noted as such. Buyer beware!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2022 7:32PM

Does this seal mean jack sh!t to anyone? I honestly don't get it... I'm confused.

I've asked for the web warriors on here to explain the mysterious Panini seal and I've heard crickets........

I mean, there's been a really heroic Instagram screengrab but absolutely nothing else.

The auction is still live, so I honestly don't see the drama..................

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

Is it possible that there are 2 59/99? Also my eyes must be playing tricks on me because the holes on the patchees seem to be slightly different.

Matt

• Options

I beleive the Panini seal means it has been removed for grading because maybe was a Panini redemption?

Matt

• Options

Has not been removed for grading.

• Options

Erik, very helpful.

So it's been removed from the BGS case at some point, for whatever reason, and it's being resold here. I do not see the crime of the century here..............

bottom line. It's a raw card.

Buyer Beware.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@voxels123 said:
    Erik, very helpful.

So it's been removed from the BGS case at some point, for whatever reason, and it's being resold here. I do not see the crime of the century here..............

bottom line. It's a raw card.

Buyer Beware.

The problem people have with it right now is that it isn't considered raw, its considered in factory sealed condition because of the seal. I've only ever graded two factory sealed cards,two Brady Etopps Autos, and both came back BGS 9.5. Whoever buys that card has no idea how many times its been handled raw or even if it has been altered/trimmed which is a legit possibility after it was in a BGS slab,now who knows what has been done to it.

Certain people in this hobby look to protect other collectors from unknowingly walking headfirst into situations like this and that's why questions are being asked when something doesn't look right.

• Options

I don't understand why everyone believes that this card has been RE-sealed. I assume it was just put back into the case with BROKEN seal that it came out of. It's one thing to not know anything about the history of this card and think from the image in the eBay listing that the seal is not broken..... But if you know that this card had been previously BGS graded before and was obviously cracked out and put back into the redemption case it came out of, it is another story to then claim that based on the image in the eBay listing that the card was nefariously resealed when you CAN'T see the complete seal (and especially the end where it would be broken) in the image.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2022 9:35PM

Why would ANYONE open a factory sealed card, send it to get graded,then after receiving it back to then decide to crack the slab to just put back in the original factory one touch? That makes absolutely ZERO sense along with wasting quite a bit of money (S/H,Insurance,grading fees) only to then turn around and put the card back in the factory one touch and sell As-Is. Again,ZERO sense. That sounds so much more plausible than someone trying trick some unsuspecting buyer into thinking that this card is still factory sealed while consigning with arguably the least ethical consignment seller on ebay.

True,the top of the seal/holder can't be seen but that sticker looks pretty damn tight.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/363706240968?hash=item54ae94cfc8:g:0E0AAOSwL29h8y1R

I've messaged the seller about the history of this but I highly doubt I'll get anything of substance back other than it was consigned thru the them.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2022 9:44PM

@erikthredd said:

True,the top of the seal/holder can't be seen but that sticker looks pretty damn tight.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/363706240968?hash=item54ae94cfc8:g:0E0AAOSwL29h8y1R

Well the sticker looks normal. I'd presume that when it was opened a sharp edge or razor was used at the top. I don't think most peeps rip off the whole sticker seal when opening them. So again, peeps looking at the pic are jumping to an unfounded (but not out of the realm of possibilities) conclusion.

As for whether it makes no sense, well if a graded 8.5 BGS sells for less than RAW, then it would make total sense. Some peeps pay more for the mystery of that it might grade high (if grading is the intention). And 8.5 on such a high end recent card could be like a normal card getting a 5!

• Options

Looks like Probstein cancelled the auction.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Smart thing to do.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 1:58PM

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@erikthredd said:

Smart thing to do.

Agree should relist in a plain toploader.