Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finishing up a set

Good morning all,

I'm finally down to my last few cards needed to complete a full registry set, that's taken several years. I find myself willing to pay absurd prices for the remaining commons, just to complete it and move on to the next insane project. I can't be the only one to find themselves in this situation. The thought of paying several hundred dollars for a common is repulsive, but I'm still going to do it. Wondering, what's the most someone has paid for a "common" just to complete a set? I'll use it as my own personal therapy/justification for when I find the last one. Thanks, John

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was working on a 1975 Topps Baseball set in 8+ grade. It took around 3 years for me to complete, but knocked off most of the cards fairly easily, except for the last 2 cards. It was probably 4 or 5 months since since I'd gotten to 658/660, and finally got the last 2 cards (along with a few 1975 upgrades and cards for other sets) in a private deal from the same seller. I can't remember exact prices, but I believe he quoted me around $40 for #297 Craig Kusick and around $75 for #16 Frank Tanana, both in PSA 8 to finish up. The Tanana is a super tough card in high grade, so you rarely see 8s or 9s for sale (no 10s graded, if I remember correctly), while I think a PSA 8 Kusick has come up for sale a bunch of times since then for much less. That was maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

When finishing up a raw 1966 Topps Baseball set, I was down to #591 Bart Shirley/Grant Jackson as the final card that I needed. That's a high number SP. After a long time (roughly a year looking for that last card), and a LOT of unsuccessful tries, I snuck in there somehow and won an eBay auction for a PSA 6 for a little over $100 that I promptly cracked out just so I could be done with my project. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago. Prices are way more than that now.

• Options
    MunnymanMunnyman Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

That's my other issue.....the longer it takes to find these last remaining cards, I find myself upgrading. As much as I love this current set (1957 Topps), I'd like to move on to my next venture. I have about 8 projects going, but heavily focus on one at a time. Now with PSA prices as high as they are, I need to re-evaluate the benefits/likelihood of most of these projects.

• Options

It is only money. LOL

When I was finishing my 1978 Topps Baseball set in all 9s or above I spent so much for a common that it actually made it into the July 2006 SMR Magazine as part of an article. It didn't matter to me that it was a foolish economic move. The set was completed that year and I still have it. That has its own value.

SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • Options

Good point Sinibob! I like the way you think. No offense though, you probably won't be my first choice as a sponsor for this addiction.

• Options

I would definitely be a bad influence but it does feel good to have complete sets in the desired grade. Treat yourself to a card or two. You deserve it. :D

SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

well, add another addict to the list. When I started my 72 Topps set, I started with the goal of having all 8 or better. As I got into it, prices on some of the 9's weren't that much more so I switched midstream to all 9, picking up a 10 here and there as I went along. Two cards in PSA 8 have eluded me. They are both very low pop commons, extremely difficult to find. While looking for these two, I continued to upgrade the 9's to 10's. Now 15 years later, I'm still looking and have resigned myself to the fact that I'll never get them. My set is complete, but the 2 PSA 8 cards gnaw at my insides. One of the cards has come up for sale, not once but twice; each one sold for over $3600, so I passed. Good luck in your search.

• Options

WOW! I love the 72 Topps set, but that is a monster!!!! Three times I've started it and quickly realized it was gonna take years off my life. I changed my goal and just focused on the 72 Cubs team instead. Hats off to you sir! Definitely one to be proud of.

• Options

@Munnyman said:
    WOW! I love the 72 Topps set, but that is a monster!!!! Three times I've started it and quickly realized it was gonna take years off my life. I changed my goal and just focused on the 72 Cubs team instead. Hats off to you sir! Definitely one to be proud of.

Thank you. That set is almost 15 years in the making. Won't try anything that size again.

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Oh I know the feeling. I need one card that will not only finish off my 1980 Steelers set but will also finish off the 1980’s Steelers decade set. It’s card #492 which is is just the AFC championship card….a common. It finally came up for sale in a 10 and it’s already at about $230. It’s taking everything I’ve got not to bid just so I can finish these 2 sets.

• Options

Davin, you're not going to get sane financial advice here. BUY IT!!!!!! I'm all about peer pressure.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

It's not what you buy you regret the most. It's what you don't buy. go for it.

• Options

I remember paying way too much for a 1970 Kelloggs Carl Garrett. Was the last PSA 10 that I needed.

• Options

Davin, I see it closed at 250.......Did you pull the trigger?

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Nope. I went to the $247 and once he went to the $250 I gave up. My next plan is I’m hoping it’s another one of the Steelers collectors and that they are upgrading. Maybe I’ll be able to buy the card they are upgrading from. I just need to watch who updated their set in the next week or so with this card and try to contact them.

• Options

Down to my FINAL card for my 1957 Topps set. I will definitely over pay for it when one pops up. Problem is, I keep upgrading the set rather than focusing on something else. I have about 8 other projects I need to focus on, but this one has become like a bad girlfriend I can't break up with!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can definitely sympathize. I've overpaid for commons when trying to finish a few sets in the past. Terry Fox in the 1966 was a tough one for me. The problem I have is that I won't buy a slider 8 just to finish off a set. It has to satisfy my criteria to entice me to pull the trigger.

• Options

Wow! That is a tough one. With only 60 PSA 8s and a picky eye=BIG $$$$. Even though you probably paid more than you wanted, it has to be a great feeling to have it complete. I've taken on the mentality of a closer.....have a very short memory.

• Options

Hell, I could of bought a new truck for what it cost just to finish my 34 goudey, along w 56 topps 41 playbill and many more. trying to finish a 53 Bowman color, if I just see one of the last 8 or 9 that I need I pounce on it. Some cards especially higher #s from a second series are very difficult to find, and will be even more difficult due to the high cost of grading now. Good luck your like all us other idiots just having fun

• Options

I absolutely love the 1953 Bowman Color set. I remember thinking that would be a great set to put together, especially since it was only 160 cards. Then I saw the prices those 160 cards were going for and the dream was quickly abolished. Congrats on those set, those are some amazing choices.

• Options

As a lifelong Phillies fan, I just started a Steve Carlton basic set not too long ago. Figured it shouldn't be too hard to complete and only 39 cards. The older ones were fairly easy, but I'm now down to 4 and surprisingly 3 are from the mid to late 80 years, 85T, 86L and 87D. Also need the 75T which I can pickup an 8 fairly easily but holding out for a 9. Just can't believe those 3 can't be found! The search goes on.

• Options

I feel ya, JRR! It's crazy what those mid 80s graded cards are going for now. I have several 3200 count boxes of them as that's when I started collecting. The problem I have is the grading costs are so high now it doesn't allow me to send many in. I had to check eBay after reading your post and saw a 1987 Donruss Carlton for 125 bucks in Gem Mint. That's a big price tag.

• Options

@Munnyman said:
    I feel ya, JRR! It's crazy what those mid 80s graded cards are going for now. I have several 3200 count boxes of them as that's when I started collecting. The problem I have is the grading costs are so high now it doesn't allow me to send many in. I had to check eBay after reading your post and saw a 1987 Donruss Carlton for 125 bucks in Gem Mint. That's a big price tag.

The guy with the 87 Donruss is just crazy! I had just missed on two of them that sold for around $25. Had I only known I couldn't find another. I have a ton of raw Carltons, pack fresh, from the 80's also, but between the grading cost and the delays, I'm holding on for a break in the prices.

• Options

FINALLY!!!!! I finally got my last card to finish my 1957 Topps Baseball set. This damn common has dodged me for many years and I knew I would pay a ridiculous amount for it. $406.00 for a PSA 7 Taylor Phillips. What a joke, but a great feeling to be done.

• Options

@Munnyman said:
    FINALLY!!!!! I finally got my last card to finish my 1957 Topps Baseball set. This damn common has dodged me for many years and I knew I would pay a ridiculous amount for it. $406.00 for a PSA 7 Taylor Phillips. What a joke, but a great feeling to be done.

congrats!!!!!!! what a feeling!!!!!

• Options

Thank you very much. I have already jumped into a new project. Didn't even stop to enjoy it for 24 hours!!!! I clearly need help.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@Munnyman said:
    Thank you very much. I have already jumped into a new project. Didn't even stop to enjoy it for 24 hours!!!! I clearly need help.

This isn't too dissimilar to trying to pick up a bridesmaid during your wedding. :#

• Options

JRR
    if you don't mind me asking , what 1972 cards are you looking for to complete the set ??

and your looking for Carlton 1985 Topps ???