Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1954 Topps Aaron and Banks

Several months ago I had these graded. I have a complete '54 set that was given to me by my father ten or more years ago and I figured these two were probably the only ones really worth sending in. I do have a question on the Banks, as a coin guy I don't really follow how cards are valued, how adversely does the (OC) impact the value of a PSA 7? What would be a realistic value for this pair of cards?
Thanks!

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Takes it down the equivalent of 2 grades plus or minus, so value around a PSA 5 value.
    That can change a bit based on eye appeal.
    I would value that banks above a psa 5, great looking card. Between psa 5 and 6 value.

Check here for psa cards sold in the same grades to get value idea. Nice cards, I bet rest of the set is a beauty.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices#0|1954 aaron

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2022 3:49PM

Those are both very sweet. The Aaron presents really well, especially for it's grade.

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

The OC Banks is very common. Yours is barely OC with white space between all the letters of his name and some white between the Cubs logo and the top of the card. I've seen much worse. I'd value the Banks at straight 6 on the high end.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to get that from your dad.

Banks is notoriously off center top to bottom as mcolney1 says. There are a lot his rookie cards with the OC qualifier so I would think it would go closer to PSA 5.

The two Williams cards and the Kaline are probably worth grading too if you are going to sell them.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

7(OC) Banks trade around where 4 Banks do. They score higher on the registry, though.

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 12:37AM

Very nice cards, Chris. Colors are great with both cards. Aaron is a very strong 2.5 and the Ernie card is great with barely any chipping on the back which usually occurs in the green area. Very collectable 7OC. Great gifts from your father.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input here. I have noticed a lot of Banks cards with the very thin margin at the top. If the cut had touched the letters or Cubs logo it would then be (MC) right?

Collector, occasional seller