Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Germany note value

I looked far and near and as well as I can ascertain this is a valuable note. If it is should I send it out to PNG. Will they clean and press it? Usually I didn't

turn a page or not look at a different site and it turns out to be some common note.

A world without coins "Chaos"

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a Pick P-176. I was able to find a single SOLD listing on the Heritage archives that hammered approximately six years ago. It is in MUCH better condition than yours. I read that you asked about cleaning and pressing but didn’t say a word about it being 60% ripped in half. Whatever you decide, definitely do not tape the note together.

• Options
    rmuniakrmuniak Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Not ripped. It is crimped. Thats why I asked if png would flatten it out.

A world without coins "Chaos"

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Neither PCGS nor PMG would flatten your note. They would just insert it into their holder after they have assessed & certified its condition.

I would not certify the note in question. Notes need to be original Very Fine (rare) or Almost Uncirculated to UNC (tough) to certify in my books. IMO: that note just doesn't cut it- plus it has issues (a major tear). Each collector has his/her own criteria but I honestly find myself wondering why would somebody certify such & such note when it just doesn't have eye appeal (or it's just not valuable enough).

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmuniak said:
    Not ripped. It is crimped. Thats why I asked if png would flatten it out.

If what I’m seeing in your photo is a “crimp” or heavy fold, I would suggest smoothing it out the best you can an put it in a heavy book for a few days. You have to admit your photo makes it look like it’s torn from the bottom more than halfway up to the top. Photograph it again after you remove the “crimp”.

• Options

I am guessing here that the centre of the note has a fold in shadow, rather than a large tear...? If this is the case, you could simply carefully flatten it out with your fingers, and then place it in a holder.

It is a low grade note, but a decent example of a scarcer Weimar issue.