Home Sports Talk
Options

Quarterback playoff record quiz

DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a little quiz. I looked up the playoff win-loss record of several of the top quarterbacks of the
last 20-25 years or so. I may have inadvertently left off a pretty good QB or two but this covers the majority of them.
I'll list the records by the amount of wins the QB has, and of course everyone will get Number 1 correct but after that
it may get tricky. Try to guess without looking it up and thanks for playing.

QB playoff win-loss records.
1. 35-12
2. 14-13
3. 13-10
4. 11-10
5. 9-7
6. 9-9
7. 8-4
8. 5-7
9. 4-6
10. 2-3
11. 2-4
12. 1-3

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Comments

• Options

One thing I forgot to add. This doesn't include the young guys like Mahomes, Allen, Kyler Murray etc.
    All veteran QB's of at least 10 or 12 years.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

1-Brady
    2-Manning
    No idea

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2022 2:15PM

I think I could run the table. I'm going to just take these off the board for now. My goodness this really puts Brady's legacy on a pedestal

Rodgers must be the 11-10 QB
    Stafford is the 2-3 QB
    Bree's is the 9-9 QB

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is Big Ben?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Where is Big Ben?

He is your 13-10 guy

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Perkdog and Justacommeman(mark) are 100% correct so far.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

1. 35-12 Tom Brady
    2. 14-13 Peyton Manning
    3. 13-10 Ben Roethlisberger
    4. 11-10 Aaron Rodgers
    5. 9-7
    6. 9-9 Drew Brees
    7. 8-4
    8. 5-7
    9. 4-6
    10. 2-3 Matthew Stafford
    11. 2-4
    12. 1-3

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a wild guess, and probably wrong, I'm going to say number 9 might be Matt Ryan, he's a veteran and that seems about right for him.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    This is a wild guess, and probably wrong, I'm going to say number 9 might be Matt Ryan, he's a veteran and that seems about right for him.

Tom Brady agrees with you and says there is a reason he's not 5-5.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am guessing eli manning for 7. He won too many SB's to have a losing record.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 - Russell Wilson at 9-7?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

would the moustached Dak be the 1-3?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Double D and spacehayduke both correct.
    Alfonz24- I didn't include Dak because he's not a 10 year veteran yet.

1. 35-12 Tom Brady
    2. 14-13 Peyton Manning
    4. 11-10 Aaron Rodgers
    5. 9-7 Russell Wilson
    6. 9-9 Drew Brees
    7. 8-4 Eli Manning
    8. 5-7
    9. 4-6 Matt Ryan
    10. 2-3 Matthew Stafford
    11. 2-4
    12. 1-3

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

Two players not on the list.
    I kind of forgot about Kurt Warner his career was from 1998-2009 so most of his career spanned the
    last 20 years. His playoff record was an admirable 9-4

I did think about Brett Favre but since he started around 1991 didn't include him. His playoff record was 13-11

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've thought about this thing, and I'm thinking number 8 could be Philip Rivers, he was a veteran that appeared in the playoffs enough times to have that kind of record and lost more than he won.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I've thought about this thing, and I'm thinking number 8 could be Philip Rivers, he was a veteran that appeared in the playoffs enough times to have that kind of record and lost more than he won.

You are correct Sir!

1. 35-12 Tom Brady
    2. 14-13 Peyton Manning
    4. 11-10 Aaron Rodgers
    5. 9-7 Russell Wilson
    6. 9-9 Drew Brees
    7. 8-4 Eli Manning
    8. 5-7 Philip Rivers
    9. 4-6 Matt Ryan
    10. 2-3 Matthew Stafford
    11. 2-4
    12. 1-3

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2022 7:14PM

And to try to finish this off before a complete lack of interest ensues,
    Number 11 on the list is a popular NFL announcer who dimeman doesn't much care for
    and Number 12 shares the same last name as Jack Nicklaus' first great rival.

And again Kurt Warner definitely should have been on the list as one of the best QB's of the last 20 years, my mistake.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 is Kirk Cousins, I'm pretty sure.

• Options
    edited January 26, 2022 7:20PM

@countdouglas said:
    12 is Kirk Cousins, I'm pretty sure.

Incorrect Sir !
    Although since you are a Chiefs fan if Kirk Cousins playoff record is indeed 1-3 I will accept
    that as the correct answer and switch him with the player I originally had.

Dang I couldn't do it Count! Cousins playoff record is 1-2 so I couldn't pull the old switcheroo

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

Where's DD's boy Cam Newton?

I'm pretty sure Cousins has made more money for his one playoff win than any quarterback alive.

11 must be Tony Romo.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Where's DD's boy Cam Newton?

I'm pretty sure Cousins has made more money for his one playoff win than any quarterback alive.

11 must be Tony Romo.

I disqualified Cam Newton for making a 'business decision' in the Super Bowl instead of pouncing on a fumble.
    Correct 11 is Romo.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

• Options

I guess Cousins didn't start the first playoff game that he ended up taking snaps. So he doesn't get the official loss. But his team is 1-3 in games he has played.

• Options

Yes I'm going by profootballreference and they only credit a QB with a win or loss if they were the starter.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

12 is Carson Palmer.

• Options

Thank you Count for finishing this thing off.

1. 35-12 Tom Brady
    2. 14-13 Peyton Manning
    4. 11-10 Aaron Rodgers
    5. 9-7 Russell Wilson
    6. 9-9 Drew Brees
    7. 8-4 Eli Manning
    8. 5-7 Philip Rivers
    9. 4-6 Matt Ryan
    10. 2-3 Matthew Stafford
    11. 2-4 Tony Romo
    12. 1-3 Carson Palmer

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

It's pretty crazy to think Mahomes can pull even with Brees this weekend. (Wilson is surprising to a lesser extent because he's still active.)

• Options

Yes if the Chiefs can win the Super Bowl this year Mahomes would be Number 5 on this list in just 4 years playing in the NFL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a fun thread! Thanks @Darin 🍻

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

the amazing thing to me is how many of these great QBs playoff records hover right around .500. just a game or 2 above or below.

i guess it shows how difficult it is to win in the playoffs.

would be interesting to measure these current guys against the greats of the past like montana, elway, bradshaw and the like.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Craig, here's some of the greats that came before Brady, Peyton, etc. but I didn't go real far back to
    Unitas, Dawson, Starr because they just didn't play as many playoff games back then.
    A couple things that stuck out to me. Montana's playoff record could have been quite a bit better
    but three years in a row he went 0-1. And Elway improved his record tremendously his last two
    years, he was 7-7 then his last two years he went 7-0 to finish with a very good 14-7 record

1. Joe Montana 16-7
    2. Terry Bradshaw 14-5
    3. John Elway 14-7
    4. Brett Favre 13-11
    5. Troy Aikman 11-4
    6. Roger Staubach 11-6
    7. Jim Kelly 9-8
    8. Steve Young 8-6
    9. Dan Marino 8-10
    10. Warren Moon 3-7
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw are considered two very, very, good Super Bowl quarterbacks
    I think everyone would agree on that. They both won 4 Super bowls, so............................

1. Tom Brady 35-12
    2. Montana and Bradshaw 30-12

Combining them they still don't quite get there :p

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

I think Aikman has 5 playoff losses that I remember.

Carolina, SF, Detroit, Arizona and Minnesota

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

Mark, it must have been in 1991 don't know who it was against, but profootball reference
    says he played in that game but was not the starter. So doesn't get credit for a loss.

And damn you must have a great memory because all those games were quite a few years ago. Congrats
    I can hardly remember what I had for dinner yesterday. :o

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2022 2:42PM

@Darin said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Mark, it must have been in 1991 don't know who it was against, but profootball reference
    says he played in that game but was not the starter. So doesn't get credit for a loss.

And damn you must have a great memory because all those games were quite a few years ago. Congrats
    I can hardly remember what I had for dinner yesterday. :o

Edited to say in 1991 he played the majority of the 1991 game against Detroit in Dallas's 38-6 loss to the Lions. Steve Beurelin started and was pulled. That must be it.

mark