Home Sports Talk
Options

Chiefs fans showing the Bills respect

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a heartfelt story, the Kansas City Chiefs fans have donated over $175,000 to a Children's hospital in Buffalo.

Chiefs Kingdom donates $178k to Buffalo children's hospital after nail-biting AFC divisional finish.

Officials with Oishei Children's Hospital said the donations warmed their hearts

It turns out $13 can go a very long way.

A children's hospital in the heart of the Buffalo Bills Mafia territory is sending out a heartfelt thank you to Chiefs Kingdom, even after Sunday night's heartbreaking AFC divisional-round loss.

The Buffalo Bills lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in overtime after an insane 13-second drive by the Chiefs to tie the game.

That led to a Chiefs meme account on Twitter to share an idea to both commemorate those 13 seconds, and to do some good at the same time.

Twitter account Chiefs Kingdom Memes (@ChiefsMMZ) tweeted Monday:

"Suggesting all Chiefs fans donate $13 to Josh Allen's foundation to commemorate the drive that tied the game with just 13 seconds left and the best playoff game in Chiefs history."

The account ended the tweet saying, "Much respect to #BillsMafia from #ChiefsKingdom."

The Patricia Allen Fund benefits John R. Oishei Children's Hospital in Buffalo, New York. According to the hospital's website, the fund was started after fans learned Bills quarterback Josh Allen played and won against Seattle in a game on Nov. 8, 2020, just after losing his grandmother. Bills fans started to donate to Oishei Children's Hospital in $17 increments to honor Allen.

By the end of the year, they fundraised more than $1 million.

That money goes directly to provide support to the hospital's pediatric critical care team.

Now, Chiefs fans are donating.

Early Tuesday morning, Oishei Children's Hospital responded on Twitter, saying, "Despite a heartbreaking @BuffaloBills loss Sunday night, our hearts are warm this morning waking up to $13 donations coming from @ChiefsMMZ @Chiefs fans!"

The hospital updated the amount donated on Wednesday morning.

Chiefs kingdom opened its collective heart and wallet.

The hospital said it has received $178,000 from 9,800 donors in just over 24 hours.

Hospital officials said in a tweet that they are overwhelmed with the outpouring of donations from Kansas City fans.

"These donations help the ongoing need and ensure our team has the tools, training and programs to care for the kids in WNY," officials said.

Comments

• Options

I think this is a sign the kids at the hospital made.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice story. I donate to the Danny Thomas St. Jude Research Hospital for children in Memphis, Tenn. I encourage others to do the same. Sick little kids just break my heart. Gotta do something to help........chip in guys.......it's the right thing to do.

• Options
    edited January 26, 2022 10:18AM

To add: When I was a young kid, it was not at all uncommon for children of elementary school age to come down with a fatal illness. Like leukemia, etc. Two of my classmates died from that. Just little kids. And my best friend's little sister also shared that same fate. So very sad. Anyway,.... the children's research hospitals around the country have made AMAZING progress over the years in the treatment of childhood diseases. The hospitals and the kids could sure use any help that you give. Oh, well.....I'll get off my soap box now. 🙏👬👭

• Options

I remember when I was in elementary school a classmate of mine passed away from leukemua as well, it is heartbreaking, these kids never even get a chance at life. While other kids are outside playing and living normal lives, these poor kids are fighting for theirs.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously cool thing to do. Much too often in life we get a bit too wrapped up in our own side of the fence.
    Classy KC fans, very classy.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very classy, it’s nice to see this stuff going on after the game has been played

• Options

Hey, football fans are cool......doesn't matter what team they root for! I like it!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

can Bears fans play too?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    can Bears fans play too?

Very nice gesture, you're a class act buddy.🖒

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Class act by all who donated. very stand up move by all those in KC!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.