Home Sports Talk
Options

FWIW The NFL Delivers Massive Landmark Ratings for Divisional Round

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

A whole lot of people tuned in to watch one of the most remarkable weekends in NFL history.

Nearly 37 million viewers tuned in to Fox on Saturday night to watch the San Francisco 49ers upset the Green Bay Packers, a 40 percent increase over last year's Ravens-Bills game in the same time slot. That NFC divisional-round game was television's most-watched Saturday event in 28 years, dating back to the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer.

Sunday's Bills-Chiefs classic averaged 42.7 million viewers on CBS, the highest mark for the entire season and the most-watched divisional game since Packers-Cowboys in 2017 drew 43 million viewers. It marked a 21 percent increase from last year's Buccaneers-Saints game, which drew 35.5 million viewers.

Rams-Buccaneers in the early Saturday slot drew 38.1 million viewers, NBC's most-watched game — other than Super Bowls — since it returned to NFL broadcasting in 2006.

Bengals-Titans averaged 30.8 million on Saturday, the largest audience for a Saturday early game since Chiefs-Patriots in 2016, which drew 31.5 million.

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad people are enjoying America’s Game!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't surprise me. The disruptions and controversies that started in 2016 are now a distant memory. Things are back to normal AND the the NFL has put out a lineup of terrific teams for this year's playoffs. That doesn't hurt things. ..........Speaking of a certain 49er quarterback, I was at the last game of his career. I never in my life saw anything like it......lackadaisical, stoop shouldered, dragging himself on and off the field....disgraceful. Worse part was that the Niners won the game. They only won two games that season......both against the Rams. The Rams were horrible that year..........I hope history doesn't repeat itself on Sunday. Three Niner wins over the Rams? In one season?! EeeeGads! 😵

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched quite a bit of the NFL network before the weekend's games and all the talking heads were saying
    what a great game it was going to be between the Bills-Chiefs. Really hyping it up. So I was really surprised
    that a lot of those same commentators are saying it is the greatest playoff game they have ever seen.
    I'm just so used to them being wrong that I was half expecting a boring game. :p

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of my friends who gamble are annoyed with the NFL, they say it’s “Made for TV” and or “It’s a bad product”

Personally I don’t mix the enjoyment of the game with my gambling since it’s two separate things in my opinion.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Lots of my friends who gamble are annoyed with the NFL, they say it’s “Made for TV” and or “It’s a bad product”

Personally I don’t mix the enjoyment of the game with my gambling since it’s two separate things in my opinion.

I don't gamble, but I could see how it could ruin it for you. This makes sense. If my enjoyment of the game was based solely on the outcome of my bets, that would typically lead to lack of fun watching in a big way...

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

The recent plethora of legalized/easily accessible gambling may have had a bit of influence on these higher ratings. That input sure didn't hurt the ratings.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".