Home Sports Talk

Sean Payton is stepping down

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2022 2:00PM in Sports Talk

DD must be on break. Maybe taking a DoubleDuece

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 16 seasons as head coach of the New Orleans Saints, Sean Payton is stepping down from his position, according to a source familiar with recent talks between the head coach and ownership.

Payton informed Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and team owner Gayle Benson of the decision on Monday, following extended talks over the past week and then a short break to consider his future. The source said it hasn’t been determined whether Payton will be leaving the team permanently, but the organization is planning to move forward and could install defensive coordinator Dennis Allen as head coach as quickly as this week.

As of Tuesday morning, the source said it’s premature to assume Payton is permanently breaking from the franchise or speculate on him potentially landing a head coaching job elsewhere. The 58-year-old Payton is currently under contract through 2024 and the Saints would be entitled to trade compensation if any team were considering a pursuit prior to the expiration of that deal.

The move by Payton caps a roller-coaster season for New Orleans, which started the 2021 season playing its first home game in Jacksonville due to complications from Hurricane Ida. The Saints ultimately didn’t play a home game in New Orleans until October, then struggled all season at quarterback following the retirement of Drew Brees, losing starter James Winston to a knee injury in November and then juggling the position between Trevor Siemian and Taysom Hill. New Orleans also worked through a tense ankle surgery and rehabilitation rift with star wideout Michael Thomas, who ultimately missed the entire season.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't consider Payton to be a good GM, which he essentially was in New Orleans. Salary cap issues stymied some of Brees' best years. And he is currently leaving the Saints in salary cap hell again.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that he is “stepping down”

He has a Super Bowl ring so there is that, idk maybe he is not down with the personal he has? Hill is not the answer at QB and who knows if Thomas will ever play again

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2022 5:34PM

Where to begin with this story, my sources are telling me that there are a couple of different rumors floating around. One rumor is that Troy Aikman is possibly leaving Fox and teaming up with Al Michaels in Amazon's NFL coverage and that Fox is potentially interested in bringing in Sean Payton to replace Troy Aikman. The other rumor I'm hearing is that Jerry Jones is thinking about getting rid of Mike McCarthy and hiring Sean Payton to be the new Cowboys head coach., I know Sean Payton has a history with the Cowboys and I think Jerry Jones is friends with Sean Payton and his family. I don't know if either of these rumors are true, it's only speculation right now. On a side note, Troy Aikman said he wouldn't dimiss the rumors of Jerry Jones being interested in hiring Sean Payton as the head coach of the Cowboys.

@perkdog said:
    Interesting that he is “stepping down”

He has a Super Bowl ring so there is that, idk maybe he is not down with the personal he has? Hill is not the answer at QB and who knows if Thomas will ever play again

He is leaving behind a team wrecked in terms of salary cap and players. He threw a bunch of money at Taysum Hill.

@doubledragon said:
    Where to begin with this story, my sources are telling me that there are a couple of different rumors floating around. One rumor is that Troy Aikman is possibly leaving Fox and teaming up with Al Michaels in Amazon's NFL coverage and that Fox is potentially interested in bringing in Sean Payton to replace Troy Aikman. The other rumor I'm hearing is that Jerry Jones is thinking about getting rid of Mike McCarthy and hiring Sean Payton to be the new Cowboys head coach., I know Sean Payton has a history with the Cowboys and I think Jerry Jones is friends with Sean Payton and his family. I don't know if either of these rumors are true, it's only speculation right now. On a side note, Troy Aikman said he wouldn't dimiss the rumors of Jerry Jones being interested in hiring Sean Payton as the head coach of the Cowboys.

The best information I have is that, if Payton were to become the Cowboys coach, it would be for the 2023 season.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

The best information I have is that, if Payton were to become the Cowboys coach, it would be for the 2023 season.

I have a pretty good source myself. 🤔

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot's of coaching jobs out there right now, maybe this is already done and he says he is resigning for 'personal reasons' to not get harpooned on his way out of NO and leave in peace b4 the announcement? I am sure Jerry Too Short Jones would not have a problem compensating NO (if only cash is required) to land what could be the best available on the market...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

If he comes to MN it would be BountyGate 2 on him. The line would be long...

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    If he comes to MN it would be BountyGate 2 on him. The line would be long...

He would still bring them closer to being a winner than Zimmer!

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Good for the coach. Take a break and go to a team with a young stud QB and a deep roster. The Cowboys sure looks like a good fit.