Home Q & A Forum
Options

Jefferson nickels - naturally toned or are they chemically enhanced\PMD

JWPJWP Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently found these six Jefferson nickels while searching through rolls. They all came out of two different rolls and they look rather pleasing to me. My question is are these naturally toned or were they chemically enhanced (PMD). I plan on keeping these nickels because I like the way they look. However, if anyone has any thoughts on whether they were naturally toned or if they were created by chemical enhancement. Your thought about how these nickels arrived at their current condition would be welcomed.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answer

• Options

Ilove the look of the nickels, but it is beginning to look like man made toning or PMD. Thanks for your imputs.

Answers

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is incandescent light causing the yellowing effect? How bout a crisp close up of the obv and rev of one coin?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

No the light isn't affecting the finish on the coins at all. When I get home I'll send a picture of both sides of one coin so that you can see what it looks like without the lighting.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not NT

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could have been brushed with shellac or varnish or similar. Have you soaked them in acetone?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited January 24, 2022 7:17PM

@Namvet69 said:
    Is incandescent light causing the yellowing effect? How bout a crisp close up of the obv and rev of one coin?

Here's a close-up of the 1962 D nickel.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Could have been brushed with shellac or varnish or similar. Have you soaked them in acetone?

It does looks like something was applied to the surfaces.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I don't say much about stuff on here but I been doing this a long time with these kinds of coins I have several different kinds my self I am going to go with some body has messed with these coins cause if it was hit with a copper planchette you would know good luck and happy hunting.