Home Stamps Forum

Air mail not sure what is worth and who would want

Comments

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection of covers. Unfortunately, the ones you have shown have no real value.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market for airmail covers like that seems to have slowly but surely disappeared over the past decades as the original collectors died off. No one new stepped forward to support the market. If all of the covers are like those you have pictured what you have has little value in today's market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

But nice condition and nicely housed. Someone might be interested at a modest price.

• Is $75 to much to ask. I have a bunch of albums and some pre 1900 possibly millions of stamps as my father was a life long collector and he'd inherited his uncle's collection. All Well kept and organized Also shoeboxes and totes full of things he never got to. And the inverted st Lawrence seaway 1959 that he claimed was valuable. I think things like this should go to colectors as they will be appreciated. Rather than turned for a buck by a dealer

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ellis0425 said:
    Is $75 to much to ask. I have a bunch of albums and some pre 1900 possibly millions of stamps as my father was a life long collector and he'd inherited his uncle's collection. All Well kept and organized Also shoeboxes and totes full of things he never got to. And the inverted st Lawrence seaway 1959 that he claimed was valuable. I think things like this should go to colectors as they will be appreciated. Rather than turned for a buck by a dealer

Yes, if you are asking $75 for the pictured covers. Unfortunately, stamps are not worth as much since your father was collecting them. Other than some rarity not pictured, you would be lucky to get $7.50 for them instead of $75. Heck you might get more for the cover holder book instead of the covers. Not trying to sound harsh but that is where the market is now. Now if you're asking $75 for the entire collection that would be more realistic. Good luck.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to learn more about what you have, pull out anything that individually has significant value and unload the rest for whatever you can get. Spend time learning about the true market for the individually significant items before offering them for sale.

The comment about the cover holder being worth more than the stamp items in it may actually be true. Stamp collecting supplies like that have become quite expensive.

Many old time stamp collectors were passionate about their hobby and collected lots and lots of "stuff". Much of that "stuff" has fallen out of favor and no longer has much value. Much of it never had much value in the first place but was still prized for what it was.

Don't be in too much of a hurry. Take the time to learn about what you have.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Thanks yes he was a passionate collector. With books in his and his uncle's collection predating 1900 mid 1850 something is his earliest book that I can remember seeing all the way to present day. he had several countries not just American stamps. And show boxes full that he hadn't even gotten to yet. He left me the inverted 1959 st Lawrence seaway stamp. As it my last name. It's nice to look at them when visiting my mom but I'm not sure what will become of them. As I don't have the luxury of the time it would take. To sort through I'm a coin person I haven't graduated to stamps yet.maybey in my next 40 years thanks again!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good pics on Ebay or elsewhere, and the true market might find the value.

• First flights are still vary collectable to some.