Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do I determine which cards to send in for grading?

I'm new, very new. I've been going through all my 89/90/91 baseball cards, early Garbage Pail Kids and other trading cards and I have some worthwhile cards even with the current grading price hike.

Obviously the condition of the card is an easy answer, yes, but I'm not interested in discussing that. Looking at price guides are helpful too, but...

I'm interested in learning how to interpret population data on PSA to determine if there are cards I have that other people are missing from their collections
- Is there any value in having cards graded for the purpose of filling in other's collections?

Please let me know your thoughts and if I need to clarify my question.

Thanks,
Matthew

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although your question is about cards, coins are similar in some ways.
    Low populations will be reflected in price.
    If the grading fee is around $50,
    a good rule is that the card (or coin) needs to be worth at least $200 to be worth the fee.
    But you need to be able to estimate the grade accurately yourself to be able to find the appropriate value in the price guide.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

... good advice above, but this is the wrong forum for the question.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    Although your question is about cards, coins are similar in some ways.
    Low populations will be reflected in price.
    If the grading fee is around $50,
    a good rule is that the card (or coin) needs to be worth at least $200 to be worth the fee.
    But you need to be able to estimate the grade accurately yourself to be able to find the appropriate value in the price guide.

I use the $200 added value rule.

• Options

@moursund said:

That's step one. Step two is...what's the right forum moursund?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try the Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum. You will need to be very specific in what you request. Show photos of your best cards if you want useful responses.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try the Trading Card and memorabilia forum.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlschwartz said:

@moursund said:

That's step one. Step two is...what's the right forum moursund?

That was left as an exercise for the reader...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file