Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card grading?

I am going to submit some cards to PSA for grading. I’m not sure how to value the cards since I don’t know what grade they will get. Is it alright to under value them or will PSA not grade them if you do? Also; I have some BGS graded cards I want to submit to PSA for grading, but as raw cards. Is there a safe way to open the cases without hurting the card? Thanks for any help! It is greatly appreciated, James

Best Answers

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely don’t overvalue the cards - PSA will upcharge you if they grade high enough. Not sure about removing from BGS slabs, but i’m sure there are videos on youtube.

Jim

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

@Flyerfan127 said:
    I have some BGS graded cards I want to submit to PSA for grading, but as raw cards. Is there a safe way to open the cases without hurting the card? Thanks for any help! It is greatly appreciated, James

Not hard to remove cards from BGS just start with corner. Got to YouTube and you will see how it's done. I have to warn you though not to expect the same grade as you got with Beckett. I have sent to orders in that I cracked out of BGS/BVG slabs. The first was for 20 cards and not a single card came back with a higher grade and some dropped 1.5 which really can hurt on a valuable card.

Good luck

Answers

• Thank you for your help! I didn’t even think of looking on YouTube for a video. Thanks again!

• Thank you for your help. I wanted to break open one card from BVG because the corner of the case was chipped. It is actually cheaper to have PSA regrade the card then to have Beckett re-case it. I will never use Beckett again! I did look on youtube how to crack it open and I was able to do it without damage to the card. It was actually quite easy. Thanks again, James

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flyerfan127 said:
    Thank you for your help. I wanted to break open one card from BVG because the corner of the case was chipped. It is actually cheaper to have PSA regrade the card then to have Beckett re-case it. I will never use Beckett again! I did look on youtube how to crack it open and I was able to do it without damage to the card. It was actually quite easy. Thanks again, James

they want $100 to re-case it?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Flyerfan127Flyerfan127 Posts: 18
    edited February 2, 2022 2:08PM

Yup! Here is the email I received from Steven Frankel:

James,

You can submit the card as a normal submission but you will have to list somewhere on the invoice or with a sticky note that you are wanting a recase. This will be $25 under the premium service tier.

Regards,