Home Q & A Forum
Options

Does anybody have any information on the turnaround time for express submissions from personal exper

Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Just had my coin received by PCGS for express restoration grading, when can I reasonably expect to get it back? Anybody have any recent experience with this? Thanks

Answers

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t believe there’s an “Express” Restoration service level, but only ONE level for Restoration. Typically in the past it would take about four weeks or so for that department to look at the coin for them to make a determination if they’ll restore it, or not. If they do choose to restore it, then they restore it, and only then after another week or two does it go to get graded. Perhaps at that stage having paid for “Express” if the coin was raw (perhaps due to your valuation of it being over $2,500), would that kick in.

Ignoring Restoration, they are currently backed way up. My understanding is normal “Express” submissions are taking over three weeks.

Good luck!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    I don’t believe there’s an “Express” Restoration service level, but only ONE level for Restoration. Typically in the past it would take about four weeks or so for that department to look at the coin for them to make a determination if they’ll restore it, or not. If they do choose to restore it, then they restore it, and only then after another week or two does it go to get graded. Perhaps at that stage having paid for “Express” if the coin was raw (perhaps due to your valuation of it being over $2,500), would that kick in.

Ignoring Restoration, they are currently backed way up. My understanding is normal “Express” submissions are taking over three weeks.

Good luck!

Steve

Thanks for your feedback but there is express for restoration which I paid $65. I had no idea what the stages are. Hopefully not too long with express

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 8:52PM

The $65 is the fee for grading the coin once it’s restored (or if it’s raw, for grading it at the end, whether it was restored or not). The Restoration fee is separate and on top of the grading fee. If they choose to not restore the coin, I believe they charge $10. If they do restore it, they charge a percentage of the coin value once it’s graded.

Did you submit the coin using the separate Restoration form?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    The $65 is the fee for grading the coin once it’s restored (or if it’s raw, for grading it at the end, whether it was restored or not). The Restoration fee is separate and on top of the grading fee. If they choose to not restore the coin, I believe they charge $10. If they do restore it, they charge a percentage of the coin value once it’s graded.

Steve

Yes. Do you know if they use Acetone?

• Options

I believe they do, if it’s needed, among other items.

• Options

@winesteven said:

Steve

Yes I think they marked 3% of the new value, maybe an incentive to grade the coin higher only if it’s borderline for the grade

• Options

I suspect the graders, who get the coin after it’s left the Restoration people, are not motivated to grade it higher just to generate a few extra dollars of profit for PCGS.

• Options
    C2CC2C Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:
    Just had my coin received by PCGS for express restoration grading, when can I reasonably expect to get it back? Anybody have any recent experience with this? Thanks

Wondering if you have any updates on this process?

I also submitted three coins with a yellow haze for restoration under the "express" title. I have no idea what to expect in timing or whether or not they will actually restore the coins or just charge the fees and send back. Hoping they remove the haze on my Morgan Dollars.

I have a separate order that was submitted waaayyy back on November 18th for normal grading of modern 2021 Morgans. That just today moved to encapsulation. I'm hoping they are much, much faster on the express level restoration...