Home Sports Talk

Would you rather have Super Bowl Saturday?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 18 year old high schooler started a petition to have the Super Bowl moved to Saturday and it has over 80,000 signatures. The reason is apparently so people can watch the game and not have to go to work the next day.

Petition to move Super Bowl to Saturday has over 80K signatures

Super Bowl Saturday? Having the big game one day earlier is apparently what over 80,000 fans want. High school student Frank Ruggeri, 18, of Palm Bay, Fla. started an online petition to move Super Bowl Sunday to Super Bowl Saturday, and it has quickly gained tens of thousands of signatures.

While the Super Bowl is traditionally on a Sunday, moving it would mean less have to worry about heading to work the next day. The Monday after the game is a day in which some people traditionally miss work and Ruggeri argued moving it could prevent this.

"It's really, really important to me because 17.2 million people miss work," Ruggeri said during a TV appearance. "That's 44 billion dollars less of productivity."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has said the television audience is larger on Sunday. But Ruggeri challenged Goodell's reasoning, saying, "Commissioner Goodell, there would be more viewership. The people will be watching. Bigger party. And I think the economic impact would be easier to have it on a Saturday."

Sports cater to what will make the league the most money, so unless their is clear evidence Saturday would bring in more cash, it is unlikely the game ever moves days.

Super Bowl LVI is taking place on Sunday, Feb. 13 at SoFi Stadium. The remaining playoff teams will duke it out to get one step closer to raising the Lombardi Trophy starting on Saturday.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's challenging Commissioner Goodell, the kid's got some stones.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Bowl Sunday is a thing.

If you can’t put on your big boy or girl pants and Adult up and go into work the next day half asleep and hungover then DVR it and shut the hell up

edited January 21, 2022 12:55PM

Personally, I think it's a bad idea, Sunday's without football can be very boring, but if we have the Super Bowl to look forward to, then it makes Sunday exciting. Besides, it's a tradition.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Bowl Sunday is a tradition for more than half a century. Guess next the younger generation will want to move Thanksgiving to Saturday because it’s an inconvenience on Thursday.
    We should vote on Saturday because Tuesday is just stupid.
    This generation can’t decide what gender they are or what pronouns they should be called by. Surprised they even know what American Football is.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    { Super Bowl Sunday is a tradition for more than half a century. Guess next the younger generation will want to move Thanksgiving to Saturday because it’s an inconvenience on Thursday.
    We should vote on Saturday because Tuesday is just stupid.
    This generation can’t decide what gender they are or what pronouns they should be called by. Surprised they even know what American Football is.}

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

With no football on, what am I supposed to do on Sunday?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% yes. then i could watch post-game to my little hearts content and not have to worry about work the next day.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of High School football games. Believe it or not, we played our games on SUNDAYS!! Now how on earth are you supposed to celebrate when school is the very next day?? Over the years, apparently wiser politicians prevailed, and games began to be played on Friday nights, like normal people do.

Plenty of time to really, enjoy Saturdays, especially Saturday nights at a thing that was really really called the "record hop". Yes, they actually played 45s! Sounds crazy, but, boy did we have some wonderful times then!! Where did it all go?

I think Superbowl is a tradition now, and not likely to change.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't there a push to make the Monday after the Super Bowl a national holiday some years ago?

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work 2nd shift so i always make it to work on monday.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is a great idea and makes sense from a viewing perspective. Sunday is bc it is a tradition, traditions are made to be broken when better traditions come along.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes definitely move it to Saturday.
    Last year I used 5 days of my vaca/sick days the week after the SB so I didn't care. :p

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the hell - Why not? Can Combine the Super Bowl and the Daytona 500 on a Saturday - start the race at noon then the Super bowl at around 6 then we can have all day Sunday to watch the Hallmark channel!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Super Bowl is a huge deal. If you moved it to Saturday, that would increase the popularity. Having young kids, it really does suck that is doesn't end until like 9:30 Sunday night.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Its not like all NFL games are played on Sundays - that ended 50+ years ago.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

No here. It's fairly understood that the Monday after is a soft holiday, at least that's how I take it.