Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1824 Rostock pfennig: Have I got a valuable error?

Greetings. I have an 1824 Rostock pfennig that has, on its reverse, an R with one leg longer than others that I've seen on such coins. Please see the photo below. My question is: Have I got a valuable error?

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since nobody else has responded, I'll take a shot. First off, it doesn't appear there is an "R" in the image provided. Aside from that, it's not uncommon for coins from this era to be struck with dies that have some sort of damage or repunched/reengraved digits. My guess is that what you have is a variety that is likely valued no differently than a similar coin without the feature you described.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a die break on the N....but no R.

Value is based on supply and demand. If you collect these you would know more about demand than me, but as suggested above, I doubt there is much premium.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

No additional premium. Many European collectors have no interest in errors. In fact, the value may be diminished as collectors search for coins that aren't defective, In addition, it's not uncommon to find die issues on older coins.

Member of the ANA since 1982